Shocks shot

deee2

We were supposed to leave this morning for a month's trip....... but discovered a tire unusually low. So hubby took it in and the tire had to be replaced. He found the problem was bent shocks, all four of them. Now he's double checking the other four tires on the inside as well.

What's that about? Should we be replacing shocks every three years? We bought this in late 2008, it's a 2009 Bighorn 3055. Any ideas or other problems we should be aware of? I'm having trouble finding posts on the shocks.

Thank you!

Donna :)

jnbhobe

I wouldn't worry about them just take them off, they don't do much good the way their mounted anyway.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 2008 Bighorn 3400RE. I had a spring break and it bent the shocks on the DS (Door Side). When we went to replace the springs the Lippert Tech said not to worry about the shocks, they don't help the way they are monted.

FWIW
BC

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Take them off ,agree they don't do much good anyway. On my '07 they were not installed to begin with , no problems here......Kenny

tmcran

I have a 2008 Bighorn 3400RE. I had a spring break and it bent the shocks on the DS (Door Side). When we went to replace the springs the Lippert Tech said not to worry about the shocks, they don't help the way they are monted.

FWIW
BC

And, the next question to the Lippert tech.....why aren't they installed where they will do some good?

deee2

hmmmmmmmm, I lost my last post. lol Anyway, thanks for the comments. After reading the old posts on suspension problems, we might have partially lucked out. We have the Emco springs and they still have an arch, yet all four shocks were bent. The one was so loose it pushed the shock up into the tire and ruined it. My hubby ordered new shocks before I did this research and should get them in a day or two, but now we're re-thinking the order. Had we had no shocks, do you figure we'd have avoided this damage? I think I'm getting an ulcer! LOL Thanks again for your input.

boatdoc

Send the new ones back and throw the old bent ones out. They don't work worth a hoot the way Lippert has them mounted. Our's have been MIA for a couple years with NO diff in trailer performance.

Birchwood

Replaced the grommets on my shocks last year and they seem ok now.The shafts were bent but secured them and traveled
another 4000 miles and still look ok.Who really knows if they are useful but assume the manufacturer must know something
about shocks.Don't know how you would do a bounce test on an RV with and without shocks.

TeJay

I guess I'll just have to give a different opinion. I can't argue with the incorrect angle that heartland did when they mounted the shocks. If it were mine I would change the angle to give it a more verticle location and make sure I had a shock that was correct for the weight of the unit. You can read my other posts discussing shocks and also I recently posted pics on how I mounted them on our NT-24-RBS. Now, why you should have shocks. Anytime you hit a dip or bump in the road, no matter how large or small the spring compresses. That compressed energy has to be used up in some way or fashion. If you have no shocks the spring keeps oscillating until the energy is gone. That is a law of physics that can't be changed. When the spring is oscillating on the up motion the tire looses contact with the road and some traction is lost. On the down motion the tire is compressed and some extra tread wear takes place. The amount of tread wear and lost traction that occurs is determined by many variables: unit weight, tire quality, tire pressure, and others. This motion does happen even if it's so slight that you can't feel it. To improve tire life, ride quality, effect on TV, improve traction the shocks absorb the oscillation of the springs. A good shock when it compresses will oscillate once then stop. The energy of the compressed spring is absorbed by the shock in the form of heat.

It is still a mystery to me why the TT industry does not concern themselves more with shocks and their correct placement. It's not an expensive item to add. Especially since we are talking about towing and ride quality as well as improved tire life. I believe it is a hold over from early trailer building when utility trailers did not come with shocks. Even today most smaller trailers utility or otherwise don't. That still does not reduce the effect of the laws of physics. Some have also told me that you don't ride in your trailer so why do you need shocks?? To do exactly what I have already described. If your TT is bouncing more than it should it has to effect the TV by pulling on it as the TT bounces. Here's something else to consider. When you travel any cross wind effect, 18-wheelers, trees blocking wind overpasses, head on traffic etc. will cause some trailer sway. Shocks minimize and/or eliminate that effect. We just finished a 1200 mile trip after I had installed the shocks. We traveled last week during a lot of rain and wind. No white knuckle driving, very little sway even when passing an 18-wheeler head on. As I type I am sitting in the TT on the ICW in FL. The wind is gusting in off the water at about 20-30 knots. The TT is just sitting here with very little movement. So it helps even if you're parked. Just my 2- cents worth.

Here's one more tid bit of information as to why the TT industry is not to concerned about shocks. Why do they still build girls bicycles with the center bar lowered??? They originally did it back in the 1890's when women's skirts went to the ground and it was not lady like to throw your leg over the bar. Why do we still do it today???? Because that's what we've always done. TRADITION
TeJay

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
TeJay nailed the physics of why there should be a shock absorber system. Now, the current placement and effectiveness is another story...

beardedone

Beardedone
We had lots of trouble with our suspension and I took the unit to Standen's Spring in Calgary. They thought the mounting of the shocks was a joke because there was no way for them to move in and out to absorb anything. What was happening was that the body of shock was actually bending. They installed new shocks closer to the vertical and that together with an extra leaf in the springs and Centre Point suspension has made a big difference. I don't understand why HL hasn't reviewed their installation practice for shocks.

57chevyconvt

It is my understanding that Lippert, not Heartland is responsible for the mounting locations of the shocks. Don't know if anyone from Lippert is in tune with this forum, if so, they need to take a lesson from folks like TeJay that have been there and done that. Lippert must know that bending the lower threaded shock mounting stud at the base of the shock is not an acceptable practice, but they still continue to mount the shocks in such a fashion where this is necessary. Beats me, I guess that is why they are still making 'Girls Bicycles."

Birchwood

Time and time again Lippert has been proven to be incompetent.Now when I hear the name Lippert I think
of junk and poor quality.I think Heartland has tweeted to there incompetence and have changed supplier
for their suspensions.All you have to do is call them once for tech support an you will know the rest of the story.

TeJay

Toy1ton,
Try this for information on how I mounted to our NT- 24-RBS //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/28402-Teejay-24RBS-shocks

TeJay

boatdoc

Time and time again Lippert has been proven to be incompetent.Now when I hear the name Lippert I think
of junk and poor quality.I think Heartland has tweeted to there incompetence and have changed supplier
for their suspensions.All you have to do is call them once for tech support an you will know the rest of the story.

Fully Agree

caissiel

I have relocated the top location on our unit on the first long trip because some bushings failled and shfts bended. I was able to do it in the CG . I also agree that the location is wrong it should be at 60deg and not 30deg like lippert has them installed. The location of the top shock support is right for under the axle spring installation but with the bottom shock plate overvthe spring shortens the distance and changes the angle. I have a pic in my library and will link it to this post