short box truck and slider hitch

GOTTOYS

According to the Manual that came with my Pullrite 15k SuperGlide the location of the center of the kingpin will vary according to make of truck. Be sure to read the instructions for your particular hitch. My 15K is supposed to mounted so it is centered over the rear axle, not forward or behind, per their instructions....Don

porthole

Retired
My installation also was for the hitch to be centered. But, the way the brackets for the GM frame were made set the placement. It was in the center but absolutely no adjustment from where the brackets fit.

lwmcguir

The truck will certainly handle better with the hitch centered ahead of the axle. This is based on towing for the last 45 years or so. We tow heavy loads as well, not just light 40 foot campers.

You need a bit more weight on the front axle than putting the center of the pin on the axle provides. Does you pin actually sit on the center of the axle as mounted? did you ever see a large truck with the center of the king pin in between the dual axles or centered on the single axle? They are always a bit forward just like it should be in a pick up. Check out where the new Fords are placed. 3.5 inches ahead of the axle center line.

Any hitch that is mounted on the center line of the axles with the pin directly centered won't handle as well as the ones mounted correctly.

lwmcguir

Maybe the center issue is why sliders are around.

Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch Information and Installation Tips

• The installation instructions provide the exact location for installing the fifth wheel trailer hitch for optimum towing.
  • With an 8-foot-wide fifth wheel trailer, Reese and Draw-Tite recommend a distance of 52" from the cab of the truck to the center of the fifth wheel hitch.
  • Because the hitch must remain in front of the rear axle, long-bed full-size trucks are recommended.
    • Any truck with a bed less than 8 feet long is considered a short bed.
  • If a short-bed truck will be used, it is recommended that a Slider Fifth Wheel Hitch and an extended pin box be used to help compensate for the reduced turning clearance.
    • Without the slider or pin box extension, the trailer can strike the cab on sharp turns.
    • The Slider allows the vehicle to make normal turns during low-speed maneuvering.
    • The extended pin box (minimum 13") creates even more space between the truck cab and the trailer

GOTTOYS

Keep in mind the cab to axle distances vary from one make to another. On a shortbox truck it ranges from 36.9" for the Dodge to 44.38" on the GMs. I'm sure it varies somewhat on longbox trucks also. 52 inches from the cab to the kingpin won't locate it in the same place in relationship to the axle centerline on every make. I'm going with what the manufacturer of my hitch tells me to do..... My truck handles great..... Moving the hitch farther forward does limit how sharp you can turn if you have a non slider hitch and may negate the ability to turn the full 88 degrees as advertised by Heartland. We aren't driving semis here where moving the kingpin forward shifts a thousand pounds or so to the front axle. We're only talking about 100-200 pounds at best. JMHO..Don

porthole

Retired
I'm well aware of the pin location to the axle and it's ramifications. Bottom line though is that at least on my GMC the hitch went where the plate went, and they were not negotiable as to the location. They were formed to fit around the frame in a certain spot. SB trucks have much less leeway.

BTW, I though my truck and trailer handled great. When I weighed my truck/trialer I had 4020 pounds on the front axle, with or without the trailer.

I have a new Ford and have yet to even look at the hitch frame, too cold to spend any time outside the truck!

lwmcguir

The new Fords with the hitch option have the GN ball 3.5 inches ahead of the rear axle. Pickups handle better if the pin/fifth wheel ball is ahead of the axle. Ask any expert and they will tell you. Now is it critical, heck no.