SHORT!!! Wheelbase question

apexdive

I have a truck with a very short wheelbase 116.8in. My old ford F100 that has been VERY heavily modified...
Engine and trainy have been swaped for a 460/C6(and i may put a properly geared manual in), front end and rear end has been rebuilt with MUCH larger capacity(f350 parts custom fit). Basicly everything that could be done to this truck save installing airbags(which i actually have thanks to my buddys old truck) to increase its tow capacity to obscenely silly capacity has been done.

my question is simple and straight foward.

What sort of handling should I expect if I install my fifth wheel in the back of this truck and tow a 32ft fifth wheel camper.

jimtoo

Hi Apexdive,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some comments from our members that have a short bed truck soon.

Jim M

Sumo

Ford F100 is a pretty old truck, So, I would expect very poor handling when compared with a Newer truck.

danemayer

I'm wondering about the frame. F100 frames may not be anywhere near as strong as an F250 or F350 frame.

apexdive

the frame is fine, its simply the wheelbase. And to input on comments about "newer trucks" If i bought a newer truck it woudl be a similar wheelbase as well, only lacking my modifications to my truck.

dbbls59

I don't think anyone can answer that because no one has ever done it. The only way to know is to try it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only real issue is.....a F100 is not "legal" to pull your 5er. No matter what you to it the GVWR is not there. If it still has the weight ratings on the drivers door sill...you need to read it carefully...or do some research on the rated compacity. I bet you are not even close. The pin weight could bend the rear axle tubes and I have seen this in the past unless it has a 250 rear end housing. Saying the frame is fine....how do you know it will handle the weight, twisting and turning. JMHO....your playing with fire. Someone could get hurt or even worse. As said above...give it a whirl....but let us know when you are on the road. Not trying be harsh or blunt, but I would not myself even try it.

Bohemian

The closest F150 Ford makes today would have a payload of 1760 lbs. and a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs.

A 5th wheel? No!

apexdive

@bob&patty - in california, no, nore would my truck pass any of cali's emissions standards seing that i run straight pipes(legaly in my state, mind you) In my state, I'm legal so long as I have the capacity to pull, which, I do.

As for the rear axel, it came out of a F350, if it bends, I'll eat my shorts.
As for the frame, it has been reenforced for engine torque and per DOT in my state(who approved the title when it was titled in my state), is exempt from its rating due to the nature of the modifications.

Holding/supporting/pulling the weight is not the consern, the handling at speed is the consern.

Its looking like dbbls59 is right, noone here is going to be able to answer due to the fact that I'm likely one of the only people who have a truck modded to do this.

jnbhobe

I towed a 30 ft. trailer with a modified Bronco, It did good for power and OK for handling but if you were not careful the tail would wag the dog.

apexdive

I towed a 30 ft. trailer with a modified Bronco, It did good for power and OK for handling but if you were not careful the tail would wag the dog.

was this a bumperpull or a fifthwheel?
I pulled a bumper with this same configuration and had similar results to that, but i had a lot of tounge weight and still had my 400 in it.

jnbhobe

It was a Bronco so it was a bumper pull and a highly modified 400 and 800 lbs tongue weight, I would think a fiver would be better.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I guess if the Kansas DOT said you were OK....give it whirl. If the truck bed is not 6' long....you might need a slider hitch. So I assume that anything goes in Kansas. You can build and tow anything you want. I know you can on farm roads...but how about on a federally funded interstate?? Sounds scary to me...but what do I know....I only had a CDL for 30 years and never heard of such a thing. Well have fun,good luck and circle back and let us know how it went.

Jim.Allison

DFTT?

The short answer to your question is; No handling at all, quite frankly. Jack up the gas cap and put a new truck under it if you want to tow a 32 foot fiver. That is the God's honest truth.

To prove it out to you, drive up to a dealer and park your truck as if you are going to hitch up to a 32 footer, walk out about 75 feet and look at the proportion of the trailer to your truck and give yourself an honest assessment of whether or not you can safely tow a 32 foot fiver.

Once you have done that, go find a "sale by owner" rig that is already matched in truck and fiver size. There are more than you think on the market. Hard luck forces good people to sell and there are some nice, well cared for rigs on the market that can be had together for a package price, often below market value.

Good luck

This is a solution for you

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a truck with a very short wheelbase 116.8in. My old ford F100 that has been VERY heavily modified...
Engine and trainy have been swaped for a 460/C6(and i may put a properly geared manual in), front end and rear end has been rebuilt with MUCH larger capacity(f350 parts custom fit). Basicly everything that could be done to this truck save installing airbags(which i actually have thanks to my buddys old truck) to increase its tow capacity to obscenely silly capacity has been done.

my question is simple and straight foward.

What sort of handling should I expect if I install my fifth wheel in the back of this truck and tow a 32ft fifth wheel camper.

How about some pictures?

FiremanBill

I think you already have your mind made up and your original post was more about getting affirmation than answers.

I'm joining the no crowd as far as you being able to safely tow with that truck. They make older trucks that can pull HUGE amounts of weight, they can usually be found at the fairgrounds in the tractor pull area competing. No doubt they can pull the weight, but could they safely tow it on the highway, again I will go with the no crowd.

ncrzrbk

Given that I have little knowledge of the F100 I have a couple of questions.
1) if the hitch is behind the axle, will there be enough weight on the front axle to keep contact of the tires to the road on a bumpy road

2) will you have enough turning clearance around the pinbox to the cab of the truck so the camper doesn't make contact in tight turning radius

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim.Allison

I really think that there is a strong possibility that we are being duped by a fellow fiver driver or a moderator. LOL.