should i change to gooseneck hitch

ilfarmer1

So we just got our 2018 torque 365 so far so good we really like it. My question is what are the pros and cons of converting to a gooseneck style hitch. We have other trailers on farm that are all goose. Kinda a pain to switch back and forth. Was considering a Reese goosebox conversion since lippert says it will not void warranty. I would like to here from people who have experience with the reese goosebox

thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have an old friend that has this hitch on his RV.
Personally I hate it it's big and bulky, it a PITA to get in there and hook up and unhook the safety chains. You have to be right on the money to lower it on the ball. I would hate it.!!!!!

Now with that said he also has many other trailers on his ranch that are ball hitch so in his case and in yours you might find it easier then switching hitches.
I guess that would be your call.
Leaguly you have to run those safety chains so if you have a way to climb in and out of your bed with the hitch hooked up then you have that problem solved.
If you have Hydraulic landing gear then that's good to. His are very slow electric and it takes forever to lift it high enough to get it off the ball.
The only times he goes Camping is when I'm there to help him.

This is just my opinion and my experience with the few times I've helped him.

Hope this help you.
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

richheck

Seasoned Member
I totally agree with Jerrod. Years ago I had the goose on one of my toy haulers, had slow electric front jacks so it took forever to get the nose over the ball. Also as previously stated you had to be a good shot to get the tow vehicle lined up correctly the first shot. Would never go back especially after having the six point auto leveled that have the memory to go back to original position to re-hitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
You have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with....but for my money the "Anderson" gooseneck hitch is the cat's Meow!...it weights only 32 lbs and removes with the pull of one pin. It comes with a funnel at the kingpin adapter plate that allows you to be off by 3 inches in any direction and the funnel places your RV correctly on spot!! It is far less expensive that most fifth wheel hitches...comes with several million dollar warranty that protects your hitch and RV...to my knowledge no other company out there offers that...I have the 4 pt level up system on the Sundance 3100 Ck...just hit the button and it goes to the correct height to hook up....I am sure everyone has their own preference, but you need to check out all options...Life is so easy with the Anderson and the chains are not a big deal...I reversed them in my ram so they are always hooked in the bed and then I just use the large clamping hook to secure to the chain rings on the kingpin adapter plate...In my opinion, I would never go to a fifth wheel hitch after using the Anderson....We have members with Cyclones, Landmarks, Bighorns and Sundance using the Anderson....I have yet to hear of one complaint.The best to you on your decision!

Hello, I have one and have to say I love it!!!!! Here is my take on the pros and cons from my perspective of using it for a little over 2 years and a lot of milage and having used both a 5th wheel hitch and the Goosebox hitch.
Pros.
  • Takes up little to no room in the bed.
  • Easy to take out a alb goose neck ball vs a 150lb - 200lb 5th wheel hitch set up (My back loves this, along with not needing to store the hitch anywhere).
  • Reduced chucking while going down the road.
  • Still have access to the complete bed when I get to the campsite to load coolers, firewood and what ever fits in the bed without worrying about taking out the 5th wheel hitch or worrying about it going missing.
  • Less maintenance, not that there is much with a 5th wheel hitch.
  • Built in Airbag into the pin box, some of the 5th wheel hitches have these. (Yeah not a pro or con)
  • No funky adaptors needed or special hitches for the stock tow prep package. (I paid almost 500 for the Dodge square adaptor for the bed just to use the prep package). A lot of the newer hitches have specific fifth wheel hitches for the tow prep package of the manufacture.
  • it takes less then 2 minutes to drop the goose neck ball in and your ready to tow, along with it takes only 2 minutes to take the goose neck ball out and stores behind or under the rear seat.
  • Connecting it super quick, pull the cable to either lock or unlock, no confusion on if it’s connected, if it’s on the ball it’s either locked or unlocked.
  • No worries of dropping the trailer on the truck bed. it’s either locked or unlocked, when it’s un-locked and you move the trailer it still will not dropping on the bed of the truck (I did this my mistake once)
  • Hitching up is quick and easy (See below in the cos also)
  • Allows me to carry a 60 gallon fuel cell in a shorted truck. This was not an option with a regular 5th wheel hitch or even the Anderson hitch.

Cons
  • Hitching up can be a little challenging until you get accustomed to the set up. After about a month I became just as efficient and quick to hook up with the goose box as I was the regular 5th wheel hitch.
  • if you upgrade your trailer, you need to take the pin box with you
  • You need to be sure that anyplace you drop off the trailer has the ability to move a Goose neck fitting. (This has not been an issue yet)
  • You can’t help move anyone who has a regular 5th wheel hitch... Don’t know if that is truly a pro or con.
  • It's in question on if you need to have chains, I have them but I don’t see it as a con but some do.
  • You will need to lean a little further into the truck to lock and unlock the hitch as the 5th wheel bar is typically positioned to the side of the hitch which can be easier to reach.

Here is a thread I started when I bought my Goosebox hitch and some of the feedback from others who also have it.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/50760-New-Goose-box-hitch-attached?highlight=

Let me know if you have any question. Anderson is also a good direction.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
One thing I will add regarding the Anderson hitch vs the Reese Goosebox is you don't replace your original King Pin Hitch on the RV....The Anderson adapter plate fits over the existing king pin and you can remove it if you need someone with a fifth wheel hitch move your RV in case of a break down.
I looked at both hitches and as you can read selected the Anderson. They both are great and do the same job but offer some different variables. I also have a 55 gallon fuel tank in the bed of my short bed Mega cab Ram.
Do your homework and be happy with whatever you select.

Az_Ernie

We recently installed an Andersen Ultimate Hitch. We'll never go back to a regular fifth wheel hitch. Our previous hitch was a 230 lb. PullRite Superglide 18K auto-slider. The towing experience with the new Andersen is like night and day. With the ball connection there is virtually no slack in the system and therefore, for us, no more chucking while towing. I can easily install and remove the hitch by myself (45 lbs.) in about 5 minutes, without having to use a hoist. Because the Andersen is so easily removed, I now remove it every time we return home and now have full use of our truck bed between trips. Good luck with your search for a hitch, everyones wants and needs are different.

Ernie

74Beeper

I got a Goosebox on my 2009 Razor 3612TS and love it. Don't have that big ol 5th wheel taking up my bed space and the air ride in it is great. Very little chucking. Granted, it is a little trickier hooking up but when you unhook, if you only lift it just past the ball, when go to hook back up, as long as you're straight, the ball will hit the backside of the ball socket because it's a little lower so you know you're in a good position to drop it on the ball. (Pun intended). Plus, for $1100, you're getting an air ride hitch, that won't take up your bed space and won't void your warranty. It's a no brainer IMO. I highly recommend it.
2730dfdb4bc084b20508a635f5531c05.jpg
5d7d1f98b63e9750c71930c54b59af45.jpg

The only thing in the oil field that's 100% for sure, is nothing is for sure.......

ilfarmer1

Thanks for the replies. We have hydraulic landing gear that is pretty quick so that helps. Getting lined up and hitting the ball to get hooked up is a non issue for us we do it all the time with other trailers, sometimes several times a day. lots of practice helps. really like the idea of having empty bed and having airride hitch

Gaffer

Pullrite makes a hitch like the Andeson that just attaches to your goose ball. I think I like the design better than the Anderson. Check it out.

t