Goosebox vs. Trailair w/ gooseneck adapter

Rodf55

Hi, new to the forum, and new to the world of large fifth-wheel RVs (previous RV was a 1972 Airstream Excella 500), and I've just purchased a 2005 Landmark Grand Canyon.

I've been reading over the posts about the Reese Goosebox, and saw a variety of opinions, pros (recent) and cons (last year). It looks like the Goosebox had some teething/fitment issues when introduced, so this is a two part question. First, can anyone comment on the previous post's concerns about fitting to the existing frame and the apparent need to drill new holes in the Goosebox (again, I have a 2005 model), and issues with the airbag purging under load? Second, would not the stock Trailair pin box take care of the torque loads from a good quality gooseneck adapter? I called both Heartland and Lippert with the question, and got what sounded like a 'stock' answer (not recommended'). However, given that Lippert distributes the Goosebox, the answer seems a little tainted to me (call me pessimistic). It may be accurate, but I'm looking for users opinions.

Looking forward to much good information! I've already learned a lot. Thanks for your response!

danemayer

Hi Rodf55,

Congratulations on your new-to-you Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to ask questions and I'm sure you'll get some useful answers shortly.

Rodf55

Okay, so I ended up contacting an engineer at Lippert for their input, since the RV frame, Trailair, and Goosebox are all either Lippert products or endorsed by Lippert. Still not absolutely sure I'm getting the unvarnished truth since Lippert has a vested interest (selling a $1k product). That said, the engineer told me that the Trailair pin box was not engineered for a gooseneck adapter, and I have to take him at his word (albeit there are plenty of folks successfully running that configuration from what I've read on the posts). So my choices are to take the safe route and go with either a traditional 5er hitch, or spring for the Goosebox.

Anybody in the market for a used Trailair pin box??

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Okay, so I ended up contacting an engineer at Lippert for their input, since the RV frame, Trailair, and Goosebox are all either Lippert products or endorsed by Lippert. Still not absolutely sure I'm getting the unvarnished truth since Lippert has a vested interest (selling a $1k product). That said, the engineer told me that the Trailair pin box was not engineered for a gooseneck adapter, and I have to take him at his word (albeit there are plenty of folks successfully running that configuration from what I've read on the posts). So my choices are to take the safe route and go with either a traditional 5er hitch, or spring for the Goosebox.

Anybody in the market for a used Trailair pin box??

Don't know about what you are being told but I do know the frame is not designed to handle a gooseneck hitch. If you were still in warranty you would void the warranty by using the gooseneck. I was getting our previous Landmark repaired at the factory and saw and heard the repair techs looking at a Landmark that had frame flexing issues and was equipped with a gn hitch. I heard them say they could not repair this one under warranty (it was in warranty) because it was equipped with the gooseneck hitch. I know many use it that way but you run the risk of causing frame issues.