Will this gooseneck adapter work for me?

Hi, all! First post, though I've been lurking for a few months, since I first started looking for my fifth wheel. I settled on the best brand - Heartland! And picked a Cyclone 38'!

I know and don't care that it voids my warranty (as I'm outside warranty anyhow), so no need to bother even saying that. :)

My concern is stress on the frame, period. This hitch has a 9" offset, which seems like it would increase the forces on the frame. I'll be towing a 38' Cyclone with it, using a flatbed, so only a 7.5 - 7.75" rise. The low-rise fifth hitches are already too high and won't work without massive work to my flatbed, which already has a 30,000# gooseneck hitch in it.

http://www.adventurerv.net/popup-rv4-xl9-gooseneck-5th-fifth-wheel-hitch-adapter-p-27459.html

I would be happy to replace the pinbox entirely if I can find one that works with a flatbed and supports the weight I need. The trailer is 18,000# GVW and the Reese "Goosebox" is only rated to 16,000# and I cannot seem to find any others, but I know they must exist? Right?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Furthermore, I'd be happy to replace my current pinbox with an air-ride one to lessen the stresses on the frame if anyone thinks that will help. The truck already has Ride-rites on it, so already air assist between the ground and the coupler, whatever it turns out to be. Please help! Thanks!

danemayer

Hi StickyTOES,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You're right to be concerned about the force applied by gooseneck hitches. Think of the hitch as a lever. The extra length relative to the fulcrum acts as a force multiplier. The reason Lippert warns that you'll void the warranty on the frame is that they don't design the frame to withstand 2x or 3x or 4x the normal forces.

Hopefully someone can help you out on the Goosebox rating and whether anything comparable is available.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate the input and the welcome. I was thinking that based on my using a flatbed (which is only 7.5" of additional lever) and a shorter pinbox than what is currently on the trailer, I would mitigate the vast majority of those additional forces. Certainly this would be considerably less force than a standard 12" - 16" GN adapter. The worry I have is that extra 9" of offset that I don't need. Simply shortening the pinbox also mitigates that.

Again, I welcome all opinions and insights. Thanks!

Okay, so after searching all day on this subject, I can't seem to find a replacement pin box for my current 1621 HD that will shorten the length and allow use of this GN adapter with a 9" offset. I called PoPUP, the maker of the RV4 adapter and they don't make a straight adapter for flatbeds; just the offset one. What a total pain this is turning out to be.

So my new question on this subject is can I use the 5th airborne pin box that is a direct replacement of my 1621 HD along with this adapter and mitigate much of that starting/stopping force?

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Just my personal experience so take this with a grain of salt. My previous Heartland I put a goose neck adapter on it. It is a mistake. It puts too much strain on the pin box, causes excess chucking while towing and you have to pick the front up way high to hook/unhook. I switched over to fifth wheel on this trailer and love it. I have a b&w system.

lwmcguir

Okay, so after searching all day on this subject, I can't seem to find a replacement pin box for my current 1621 HD that will shorten the length and allow use of this GN adapter with a 9" offset. I called PoPUP, the maker of the RV4 adapter and they don't make a straight adapter for flatbeds; just the offset one. What a total pain this is turning out to be.

So my new question on this subject is can I use the 5th airborne pin box that is a direct replacement of my 1621 HD along with this adapter and mitigate much of that starting/stopping force?
We used the 5th Airborne and a straight GN adapter for a couple of years with no issues. I would recommend a Goose Box unless you have upgraded the brakes on the coach.