Should the Freezer be at 0 degrees?

TeleBack

Hi,

We have a 2011 Landmark San Antonio with the RM1350 Dometic Refrigerator. It has two side-by-side freezer doors and two side-by-side lower doors for the fridge section.

We are in FL full-timing and have had no problem until a few days ago.

We when came back after being gone for a few days, the temp gauge read 40 degrees. We opened the freezer and the items we had in the doors was defrosted. Items within the freezer seemed ok (not fully thawed).

We have been at this location since April and never defrosted our freezer. There was a lot of frost on the back wall and around the ice maker. I had been noticing it build up, but did noting about it. Anyway, I presumed this was the reason for the 40 degree reading on the temp gauge and proceeded to defrost the freezer.

The next morning the fridge was back to it's normal 34 degrees. However, I put the temp gauge on the top shelf (on top of some meet) in the freezer the other day to check it out, and it read 18 degrees. I thought, no big deal, it's under 32 degrees. This morning, I put the thermometer on the bottom of the freezer and now it reads 9 degrees.

Is 9 degrees good enough or should I be at 0 degrees"

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have the same refer in our Bighorn.
Our refrigerator runs at 34° and I can't tell you the freezer temp.
For us it really don't matter if it's 0° or 10° in the freezer. It's frozen.
Your temp went down 9° overnight, maybe another night with the door closed it will drop a bit more.
These RV units don't cool like the traditional residential units. They cool a bit slower due to not having a fan circulation system.

Peace
Dave

Steadfast

We also have the same fridge in our 2011 Bighorn. Our freezer is consistently at 9 degrees, never lower. With set to 5 setting, the refrigerator will be at 32 (on readout) in the morning.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Our fridge also runs at 34 degrees and our freezer at 0 degrees, but ours is the new residential fridge.

Rod

TeleBack

Update - I put the thermometer a little further back into the freezer on the bottom shelf. Now it is exactly on 0 degrees and the fridge is at 35 with the setting on 3.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.