Shower enclosures

tmcran

Very common and continues to be a problem with QC. My 10 year old grandson can do caulking better than what is being done at the factory. I had my 2998RB at the dealer for over 2 weeks and still leaks. I just velcroed a shower curtain so the water does not hit the glass and just runs down into the pan. I'm going to completely take the shower apart and recaulk and be sure to caulk around the screws.

Last edited:

bigredtruck

Is it me or does the plastic shower wall panels/ insert appear as if it is not attached physically to the walls? I also don't see any caulk used where the shower attachs to the shower base? While the base does come up behind and above the wall joint, it wouldn't take much to get moisture up behind the joint in the wall / floor.

Maybe its just my Sundance 2900MK, but as I push on the plastic shower walls, they don't appear attached at all to the wall and actually bow out from the physical wall. Is this normal? I haven't noticed any leaks, but then again we have not had the opportunity to use the new trailer much.

Our Cyclone is exactly the same. Caulk wouldn't begin to seal the space between the wall vinyl and the base. We don't seem to have any leaks but every time I am in the shower, I wonder about that gap. Glad to hear from Ray that it is designed that way.
Going to check the caulk around the bottom of the glass walls though and around the drain. Our kitchen sink drain has some sort of goopy caulk intead of a rubber ring so we are going to have to replace that soon. Might as well check all of them :)

wal_mart

My 2900mk and now my 3100es both leaked in shower. I removed glass encloser on both and found, at least on mine, the bottom base, which has a lip on the back, to be missing the last three inches of lip on the right side or wall side. I could only fill the area with silicone caulk and it has solved the leak. By the way the same on another 2008 mk I met while in Fl.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have had a problem with our shower leaking from the start and have had our dealer add caulking to the outside of it but still leaking. When I look at the design of the shower bottom and top pieces I question where the caulking should go as it looks like the top overlaps the bottom . Maybe someone could tell us where it should be sealed. By the way there was never any caulking on the inside.

Thanks
Rick:D

I used clear silicone and sealed the entire inside of the shower. Apply caulk everywhere the metal frame of the shower meets the fiberglass shower stall...it will keep all water inside and going down the drain. I also sealed all the seams in the metal shower wall...haven't had a leak since. doesn't look great, but no leaks, in more than two years.

mcbubba

shower leak

Both the shower base and surround leaked on our 2008 Sundance 3012RE. Fixed the surround with silicone caulking inside and out. Still had a leak in the basement area and ruled out the drain. Water seemed to be weeping down the inside of the exterior wall. Caulked the overlap of the shower walls over the base and have had no more problems. Big headache but at least it's fixable!

Tuke

Re: shower leak

Our shower in our 09 3300 TLB has leaked from day one. It leaks at the base of the shower door. I had it back to the dealer and all they did was caulk it and it still leaked afterwards. Come to find out the caulk didnt stick, shower must have been wet or dirty. If they are put together properly to begin with then they shouldn't leak, after closer inspection it looks like the 2 walls adjacent to the door have a rubber gasket under them and the section that has the door in it does not. It is easier for me to take it apart and fix it myself then it is to take it back to the dealer. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Our shower in our 09 3300 TLB has leaked from day one. It leaks at the base of the shower door. I had it back to the dealer and all they did was caulk it and it still leaked afterwards. Come to find out the caulk didnt stick, shower must have been wet or dirty. If they are put together properly to begin with then they shouldn't leak, after closer inspection it looks like the 2 walls adjacent to the door have a rubber gasket under them and the section that has the door in it does not. It is easier for me to take it apart and fix it myself then it is to take it back to the dealer. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem.
Tuke, I did exactly as you are planning. Not a difficult job. I recommend attaching the parts that require screwing to the enclosure to be done in a new location. Don't use the old holes, fill them with silicone. Pre-drill all screw holes otherwise the fiberglass will crack. When I re-assembled by enclosure, I filed the wall channel to a radius on the bottom to match the fiberglass enclosure. You will probably have to use the same holes for the lower sections where they attach to the bottom of the enclosure.

Attachments

• newly radiused corner.JPG
    newly radiused corner.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 105

porthole

Retired

My shower has leaked since day one. And that is the one thing I keep forgetting to fix.
Spring time 2011 hopefully - does look kind of silly keeping a towel on the floor next to the shower

Tuke

I finally took apart the shower today. There isn't a lip on the shower base to keep the water from spilling over the edge. There wasn't a gasket under the shower walls and there wasn't any caulk either. No wonder the shower leaked from day one. Come on heartland what are you thinking.