Shower Water Temperture

Wharton

I think there was a thread on this but now can't find it. When we turn off the shower head to soap up and then turn it back on the water is cold. I think there is a solution to this but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a link to the thread or the solution.

Thanks.

Boca_Shuffles

A lot of people claimed the one way valve on the water heated was the problem. When stopped, the cold water pushed the hot water back into the heater tank. Most replaced them with brass fittings.

It may be that the hot water just cools in the sprayer hose while you are soaping up.

Wharton

We haven't had this problem in previous trailers, at least not to this extent.

I found a solution(not sure it will work, need to study it) on modmyrv.com, requires putting check valves in the hot and cold lines. Need to look at the lines sometime in the future when I have he pipe area open.

jnbhobe

I use an accumalator tank and a oxigenics shower head and I have no problems now. The shower head leaves a trickle of water running.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't turn the water off. But then, when we're using our rig, I'm on city water and don't have a lot of real estate to soap up.

2010augusta

I just turn off the water at the faucet. We use a Waterpik head and it has no shut off valve, so when we need to conserve hot water for back to back showers, we just turn the water off and turn it back on at the same temp, much easier and wastes less hot water.

Northern Virginia
I do the same thing. I have noticed that if you use the water saver button the hot water will get colder than if you just turn the water off.

Willym

The problem is the shut off valve on the shower head. I have had several trailers and the ones that go cold when you turn the shower wand back on are the ones where the valve passes. When the valves shuts off tightly, I've not had a problem. My theory is that when you are using the shower, you have balanced the hot and cold flows at the shower taps to get the req'd temperature. Now when you operate the shutoff valve at the shower head, and it passes a small flow, then the throttling effect of the taps is negligible and another throttle takes effect. This is the throttling at the hot water tank outlet check valve. This restricts hot water flow and so the cold water wins. The longer you take to "soap up", the more cold water enters the shower hose and wand.

lcdrdean

We have a 2010 BH 3670 which came with a 12 gallon water heater. We have found that one can take a shower without turning the water off at all. I normally run the water heater only on electric, except if we are taking back to back showers, then I turn the gas on too. We can take back to back showers without either of us turning the water off if the second person waits about 10 minutes.

Northern Virginia
Our water heater works very well on electric and have never run out of hot water. We are usually more concerned with filling the grey tank rather than worrying about running out of hot water.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I do the same thing. I have noticed that if you use the water saver button the hot water will get colder than if you just turn the water off.

The shower mixer valve is the problem...they are too cheap to work properly. I'm having mine replaced, finally.

Wharton

What did you replace it with? The only solution I have seen is to let the water trickle or else put some check valves in the line.

hoefler

We have taken back to back showers without shutting it off using it on electric only. The wife will follow me and she likes it very hot, lobster red hot. She has never complained.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Again, same here. Never had a problem not having enough hot water for two showers when using only electric. The only time I leave a gray tank (#1) open is when we run the washer. I want the tanks to fill and need dumping. Keeps any solids from collecting on the bottom and helps rinse the top of the tank to keep scum/mold/fungus off.

Wharton

The thread is getting off track. It is not a question of running our of hot water. To conserve water, we turn the water off while soaping up. When we turn the water back on there seems to be a lot of cold water before the hot returns. I have seen a solution from modmyrv.com with check valves but was wondering if there were other solutions. One responder changed the mixing valve, I was wondering with what..................

Willym

Are you turning off the water at the shower head? If so, does it still dribble/pass while you are soaping up? As per my previous post, I have found that I don't get a cold water surprise if the shower head shuts off tightly. In my current rig, the shutoff is poor and I get quite a bit of cold water throufgh when I resume showering. The dealer is going to replace the head. I don't think that changing the mixing valve (i.e. tap set) will make any difference.

The thread is getting off track. It is not a question of running our of hot water. To conserve water, we turn the water off while soaping up. When we turn the water back on there seems to be a lot of cold water before the hot returns. I have seen a solution from modmyrv.com with check valves but was wondering if there were other solutions. One responder changed the mixing valve, I was wondering with what..................

gonervn

Bill & Sallie
I think the theory is very solid and would think it would wok that way. On my previous 5er I had the same problem with water getting cold and the faucet dripped when it was turned off at the head. Our 3670 faucet drips when we turn it off at the head, but the temperature never changes when we turn it back on. I have no idea what the difference is.

jbeletti

I use the positive shut-off valve pictured below from Home Depot. It's chrome plated brass and was about $6. Cuts the water off completely. That said, with the water mixer valve open and the combine output closed, hot water and cold water will mix in the hot and cold lines, cooling down the next batch of water when you open the shut-off valve. I have not found it to be a huge amount of cooled down water though. Very usable.

shut-off_valve.jpg

Wharton

We have been using the shutoff valve on the shower head that came with the trailer and the cold water seems excessive copaed to our previous trailer.