Sick of Heartland Big Horn! Worst purchase we have ever made

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I already know that when we upgrade to the next level . . . an ice maker WILL NOT be one of the options we choose!

- - - Updated - - -

Truth is the RV industry as a whole has failed badly in handling warranty issues.

You got that right . . .

I just picked up our Prowler one week ago today . . . they (dealership) told me it would take three weeks . . . and ten weeks later I picked it up!

Seems that they really didn't fix much of anything . . .

I am now looking around for another shop to cover and fix our warranty issues.

I am left wondering if Heartland paid our dealership to fix a bunch of stuff that they really didn't fix . . . will they pay someone else to do the job right (ie.- the way they should have built it in the factory in the first place)?

CaptnJohn

This last trip I was parked next to a certain "high end" luxury brand recently brought under the Heartland umbrella. I was surprised to hear of all the problems he had with this new unit. The most glaring was the fact that the door frame had been welded in crooked, and apparently the manufacturer was unwilling to fix it because the door opened, closed and sealed. Yes it worked but once you knew it was there it stuck out like a sore thumb.
J had 2 very minor issuers with my Wilderness at about a month old. I was considering putting topper over the slide and brought it in for measurements so they were mentioned under a warranty. The rear vent rattled in a breeze and sounded like a freight train in a real wind. "It goes up/down and does not leak ~~ within spec" was the reply. The shower leaked "the shower does not leak there is a lack of caulking" ~~ within spec. My dealer CW replaced the vent and stated it was not caulk but a gasket not correctly installed in the shower pan and still that was "within spec" so CW fixed that also at no charge after 2 warranty denials. The camper was 4 months old when I traded on SOB.

I feel your pain, I had a lot of issues with my cyclone trailer by heartland, the dealer has had the trailer over 5 months, I got a very crappy response from heartland when I called them. I would never buy another heartland product. I had a fantastic Cardinal trailer by Forest River and at some point will go back to them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I already know that when we upgrade to the next level . . . an ice maker WILL NOT be one of the options we choose!

- - - Updated - - -

You got that right . . .

I just picked up our Prowler one week ago today . . . they (dealership) told me it would take three weeks . . . and ten weeks later I picked it up!

Seems that they really didn't fix much of anything . . .

I am now looking around for another shop to cover and fix our warranty issues.

I am left wondering if Heartland paid our dealership to fix a bunch of stuff that they really didn't fix . . . will they pay someone else to do the job right (ie.- the way they should have built it in the factory in the first place)?

Call Heartland and ask. If they paid and you're not happy something might happen.

JohnD

Call Heartland and ask. If they paid and you're not happy something might happen.

I might just do that . . .

I went out the the trailer today to check ALL of the repairs . . . and it seems that almost every one of them were just band aid fixes and not meant to be a once and for all repair!

What the ****?????

Is that what Heartland expects from their dealerships?????

JohnD

I think the OP will find that warranty issues cross brand borders . . . in other words, doesn't matter what brand they purchased!

It is the dealership followup that makes the difference!

So far, we have bought two brand new RV's (both Heartland products) in the last three years . . . and so far, neither dealership seemed to care about us once we signed the papers and pulled those brand new RV's off of their lots!

I'll leave that up to you to figure out what that means . . .

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is that what Heartland expects from their dealerships?????

Heartland doesn't expect... The dealership is the customer. Heartland does what they can to get dealerships to stock their trailers. What the dealership does after that, Heartland really can't control.

A dealer sales manager we recently spoke to at the RV show basically said Heartland was the easiest to deal with when it came to warranty work. They also said HL takes care of them, because they are a high volume seller.

On the flip side, I read recently that a high end manufacturer has pulled trailer sales away from dealerships in an effort to take care of the end customer. They are direct-selling, and thus direct-marketing and direct-servicing their own. Time will tell if it will be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Heartland doesn't expect... The dealership is the customer. Heartland does what they can to get dealerships to stock their trailers. What the dealership does after that, Heartland really can't control.

A dealer sales manager we recently spoke to at the RV show basically said Heartland was the easiest to deal with when it came to warranty work. They also said HL takes care of them, because they are a high volume seller.

On the flip side, I read recently that a high end manufacturer has pulled trailer sales away from dealerships in an effort to take care of the end customer. They are direct-selling, and thus direct-marketing and direct-servicing their own. Time will tell if it will be successful.

That would be LUXE

Last edited:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
So far, we have bought two brand new RV's (both Heartland products) in the last three years . . . and so far, neither dealership seemed to care about us once we signed the papers and pulled those brand new RV's off of their lots!

I'll leave that up to you to figure out what that means . . .

Fortunately we can't say this. First RV, a Heartland fifth wheel had several items I missed as a novice during the PDI. Dealer addressed them timely with an authorization from HL and the repairs were done and on time as promised.
Are all customers as fortunate as we have been, likely not but our experiences have been good.
Will we buy another HL product? That's another discussion...

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
We just had to have a dometic AC replaced in our Landmark and never had to leave campground. All I had to pay mobil tech was $60.00, dometic who is the one responsible for the bad AC, not Heartland, paid the rest. My mobil rv guy told me that dometic got a bad batch of copper and that they had fixed the problem, so
Larry you probably wont have anymore probems with AC,s. Even if you have to pay a mobil service guy, it,s often cheaper than cutting trip short. Sorry for your
problems but if you go out and search web and talk to folks, you will find there is far worse and Heartland customer service is great.
Lindaw

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We just had to have a dometic AC replaced in our Landmark and never had to leave campground. All I had to pay mobil tech was $60.00, dometic who is the one responsible for the bad AC, not Heartland, paid the rest. My mobil rv guy told me that dometic got a bad batch of copper and that they had fixed the problem, so
Larry you probably wont have anymore probems with AC,s. Even if you have to pay a mobil service guy, it,s often cheaper than cutting trip short. Sorry for your
problems but if you go out and search web and talk to folks, you will find there is far worse and Heartland customer service is great.
Lindaw

I can say the same for the board in our suburban furnace. If failed, still under warranty, called mobile tech, fixed, received warranty back from suburban, no trip interruption.
Did I bash Heartland RV's? NO!!!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a reminder to us, this is our family, the Heartland Owners family. And sometimes we just gotta vent when we are mad. I am sorry the OP had issues that have soured him on the brand. I don't want to disown him from the family, I want to give him a hug. I hope he can find resolution and enjoy his Bighorn in the future.

dave10a

Just a reminder to us, this is our family, the Heartland Owners family. And sometimes we just gotta vent when we are mad. I am sorry the OP had issues that have soured him on the brand. I don't want to disown him from the family, I want to give him a hug. I hope he can find resolution and enjoy his Bighorn in the future.

That is a great and welcoming attitude.

Dean-Pam

Couldn't agree with you more. I have learned a lot from fellow members over the years and I have paid it forward to other Heartlanders I meet in various campgrounds, as well as other SOB owners.

The heartland owners should be allowed to vent there RV problems here. I have had 5 trailers and two motorhome in my lifetime and never seen the poor workmanship on my other RV's that I have with my heartland cyclone. The cyclone is my first heartland trailer so it's hard for me to know if it's a one in a million problem or by reading about other owners if it seems to be a systemic problem with heartland. If it is a systemic problem with heartland, you would think they (heartland) would do something about it. Because if the owners don't vent here they will do it elsewhere (****** consumer) lots of heartland complaints there. Love the looks and floor plan of my cyclone but I can tell it's made way cheaper than the Cardinal I had for 15 years.

dave10a

The heartland owners should be allowed to vent there RV problems here. I have had 5 trailers and two motorhome in my lifetime and never seen the poor workmanship on my other RV's that I have with my heartland cyclone. The cyclone is my first heartland trailer so it's hard for me to know if it's a one in a million problem or by reading about other owners if it seems to be a systemic problem with heartland. If it is a systemic problem with heartland, you would think they (heartland) would do something about it. Because if the owners don't vent here they will do it elsewhere (****** consumer) lots of heartland complaints there. Love the looks and floor plan of my cyclone but I can tell it's made way cheaper than the Cardinal I had for 15 years.

Watch out you could get ostracized by the brand loyalists. BTY I have had similar experiences.

kowAlski631

People should feel free to vent here, but please don't get upset with those of us who haven't had issues and ask questions or make comments so that we can better understand. It's not a slam against anyone, but an effort to understand something that we haven't experienced.

JohnD

Heartland doesn't expect...

The dealership is the customer.

Heartland does what they can to get dealerships to stock their trailers.

What the dealership does after that, Heartland really can't control.

I guess my point is this . . .

When Heartland pays a dealership to do a warranty repair, I would think that they only want to pay for that repair once . . .

Not numerous times for the same repair job!

jnbhobe

I guess my point is this . . .

When Heartland pays a dealership to do a warranty repair, I would think that they only want to pay for that repair once . . .

Not numerous times for the same repair job!

And they don't pay more than once !! If the dealer doesn't do it right the first time, it's up to them to fix their mistake, they only get paid once by Heartland.