Side rail and tailgate clearance

acomavet

Hi,
I am ordering a new Cyclone 3100. My truck is a 2013 F350 CC 4x4 SWB with 18" tires. the tailgate height unloaded is approximately 59". I have not purchased my hitch yet. Do you feel there will be any side rail clearance issues?? Any input would be appreciated.
TIA,
John

gebills

Good Morning John: There shouldn't be any issues with your clearances. When looking at hitches, you will find that they are adjustable in height after installation to suit the clearances you want between your bed rail and the forward lower portion of the 5'er surrounding the pin. When shopping for hitches, you may want to use that (how much adjustability the hitch height will have) as one of the determining factors. Most hitches I've looked over are not infinite, but have more than adequate adjustability. Depending on the pin weight, which I didn't look up for the C/3100, will likely determine whether you want air bags on the back axle of your F350. My pin is relatively heavy (unloaded close to 2600 lbs) and I choose to have air bags on the back end. I pull with roughly 12 lbs on each side. The air bags will keep you level, the more "stuff" you put in the 5'er. The clearance between your bed rails and the lower side of the 5th wheel is, as mentioned, a function of where you choose to adjust your hitch height. I'm sure you will enjoy your new setup.

Ladiver

Thanks for asking this question. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I too have a 3100 on order and have a 2013 3500hd SRW CC 4x4. I was wondering the same thing. I believe the GMC has a higher bed sidewall than the Ford. Hopefully someone can chime in for me too.

I have a B&W companion hitch and will be installing the 5th Airborne as soon as the trailer gets here.

Thanks,

Jeff