Sidearm choice- for the wife.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
She generally does not have issues with recoil. But where she becomes timid, is barrel flip. If the recoil throws the barrel up in the air hard, she generally does not like the feel of the gun. With her 38, I loaded a light load that she used to practice. Then she ran her Federals HydraShoks through which were a lot more violent but she could handle it. The Federals were not something she wanted to shoot everyday for simple practice.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My wife just went thru this. She was carrying a Ruger LCP380. But it hurt her hand to shoot it and she found most semi's to be too hard for her to work the slide without a lot of effort. She tried several revolvers and found the trigger pull on most was too heavy for her. She can shoot them but not as well as she likes. She found the best for her was a hammerless Ruger LCR in 38spc. Lots of people recommended the LCR in 22 mag and she liked it. Specially the recoil but again the trigger pull on the 22 is 2 lbs heaver than the 38 because the rim fire needs a heavier striker and she did not like that. Her final choice was the hammerless LCR in 38. She loads it with Hornady critical defense LITE. A reduced recoil critical defense round http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/

Look at the Sig 380. The slide operates easily. DW found it was about the only one she could operate without difficulty. It is small, compact and shoots great.

Saildogs

Love my Beretta Nano! It shoots well with 147gr with minimal recoil. I also have hand pain issues and can rack it easily. Also just bought a Kimber Pro Carry II that shoots well and is easy to rack.

Diane

Lynn1130

The 9 mm short or .380 could have more kick, I guess, if the gun is lighter in weight, which it probably is. Most test have considered it "less than adequate" when compared to the 9mm and other larger caliber rounds. It will still do the trick at close range, where most incidents will take place and with good bullet placement can be pretty deadly. The test comes with "good bullet placement" which can be tricky when things get exciting.

I carried one for years as my undercover weapon because it was light and easy to conceal. I was never afraid that it would not do what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it.

avvidclif

The 9 mm short or .380 could have more kick, I guess, if the gun is lighter in weight, which it probably is. Most test have considered it "less than adequate" when compared to the 9mm and other larger caliber rounds. It will still do the trick at close range, where most incidents will take place and with good bullet placement can be pretty deadly. The test comes with "good bullet placement" which can be tricky when things get exciting.

I carried one for years as my undercover weapon because it was light and easy to conceal. I was never afraid that it would not do what I needed it to do when I needed it to do it.

22 Short. Most deadly caliber. Years ago was anyway.

Lynn1130

There are also a number of studies on the .22 as a self defense round. Basically the results are that size does matter. The entry wound and the resulting expansion of the bullet and the .22 performs below standard in most all tests including the gel test. Personally, I like the .22 because of what I have seen as results in autopsies in homicide and suicide cases. The bullet fragments and the pieces go in all directions, bouncing off of bone and looking much like a shotgun or snake round blast on x-ray. Would I depend upon it in a life or death situation? Probably not. I would prefer that the perp's last sound would be something loud with a big flash. But that brings up another problem. Night vision with large caliber rounds when the flash blinds you. Few consider the fact that a large caliber round is going to make a very large caliber flash which is going to blind you for any further action.

Selection of the gun is important and needs to be done by the person who is going to shoot it and not from a picture or recommendation of another but from feel on the hip, in the purse or where ever it is stowed as well as in the hand during the draw and coming up on target. But just as important is the caliber because that will determine whether there is ever a second round fired. If it barks too loud, causes too much jump or recoil and too much flash those may mean flinching, blinking, impaired vision and a miss that is deadly, to the gun owner. Because it looks good is, or at least should be, the last of the tests for purchase.

Remember what you select may determine whether you live or die.

Oh, and probably controversial but IMHO if it has an exposed hammer, forget it for a woman's weapon. The hammer will get hung up on something in the purse or a piece of clothing and become worthless.

Lynn1130

I debated whether to edit the above or add an additional reply and since this does not relate to the above, directly I added this.

Do some Internet research on some of the weapons mentioned in this thread and some concerning issues crop up. I am not dissing anyone's choice but research and in-hand trial is important. In the case of the Taurus TCP there is a YouTube video about a trigger/hammer reset problem that causes the gun to malfunction and not fire. The person who made this video is a gun writer who mentioned this to the manufacturer when they asked him to do an article and they found someone else to do the article rather than allow him to mention the problem in his review.

In the case of a Sig model mentioned in this thread, one YouTube video demonstrates how difficult it is to work the slide and mentions that one owner's wife could not work it.

Again, I am not dissing anyone's choice. Rather I suggesting that FULL research be done before buying and that means TRYING.

You can, as the OP wishes get ideas here. Then go to your local Cabelas, Sportsmans, or Bass Pro Shop and try them. The very best way is as mentioned here, find a local range that has and will allow trying different makes, models and calibers.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, with everybody talking 22's, 44's, 89's, muzzle jumps and everything else I got to thinking. Maybe incorrectly but still thinking.
If one were to use a 22 for self defense would it be incorrect to think that with little muzzle jump one could pump 4 or 5 little pills into the bad guy in about the same time a large caliber would take to recover and get back on target after 1 shot?

Peace
Dave

kowAlski631

In the end, the person using the gun should try it before the purchase. I love my Sig P238 and have no problems with the slide at all. I couldn't work the slide easily on a Taurus that I previously had, so it would have been useless in an emergency. Bottom line is, the ultimate user should find a carry weapon that they feel is 1) an extension of their body, 2) easy to load, 3) easy to conceal, and 4) will take care of business. You will know when you have the right sidearm, don't settle or let anyone tell you what's right or wrong for you.

Martha

Lynn1130

I am a firm believer of "Two to the chest and one to the head". I have never taught anyone to fire once and assess. Fire until the threat is over then assess. My only concern with the .22 is that the threat may not be over until the perp is on you. Then you get it taken away and used on you.

avvidclif

On the 22. I was merely quoting FBI data. More people are killed with a 22 than anything else. And Lynn he won't use my own weapon on me because it will be empty. Anyone that can eat the 10 rounds my baby Glock puts out I will politely hand them the thing and exit stage right, rapidly.

Lynn1130

Understand Cliff and my choice will be to have the second mag reloaded by that time. But these things take place in close quarters and from experience not all 10 will hit the target. Back up, Back up, back up. Give yourself room. Know where the mag release is because if it gets that close you may want to release the mag and fire the last round to avoid having it used on you. At that point I am gone and I can run faster scared that he can mad. If I make enough room I will reload another mag.

There does not seem to be a recent study of caliber and crime. The last that I could find, and one that is old has them in order of use as: .38, .25, .22, 9mm, and .357.

I carry a baby Glock .40 but some very recent studies say that with new ammo out now the 9mm is probably a better round for personal use because the round is as deadly but with lighter recoil and better recovery time.

I have seen this video from several angles as several people were shooting this (pun not intended) and I suggest watching this at your own risk. There is no blood but it is real and how things really happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ST1tB095I

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Yesterday, I was at a sport show in Harrisburg PA. I talked with Walter, Smith, Sig and more. They all said that the 22 semi was a growing segment of sales. All had different opinions on a 22 being personal protection choice. From a 22 is a better choice than no choice at all. 3 accurately placed 22 shots are better than 3 poorly placed shots from a larger caliber. Some said that you would have better results throwing the shells at your target. A lot of different opinions. Go on YouTube and watch some of the hundreds of videos on the subject.

olcoon

I recently ran across Flash Bang holsters (LINK), mainly for women, but they do have some uni-sex ones. The ones for women seem pretty good, at least from a guy's point of view. They fasten onto the middle of their bra. Watched several YouTube videos on them and they looked good. My Sally was even impressed.

As far as using a .22 cal. for personal defense, as far as I'm concerned I'd only use one if a rabbit or squirrel was attacking me! I'm a fan of the larger calibers. Not only do they make a bigger hole, but have a lot more shock to the body which is one of the things that puts a bad guy down. I've heard too many stories of a someone being shot with a .32, .380, and even a 9mm and they keep on coming. Just my personal opinion.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My boss and I were looking at same holsters for our wives. Jo wants a CC purse. It has a dedicated pocket for CC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk