Six Point Level Up - worth it?

TimnJo

A local dealer has a new old stock '14 3070RE at a pretty good price, but, it doesn't have dual pane windows nor the six point level up options.

The dual panes are a must for us so we're getting a quote for that, but we are dithering about the auto leveling system.

I know it won't be cheap to have it retro-fitted so am asking it of those who do have it, worthwhile, or no?

Thanks in advance,

Tim & Jo

MTPockets

Dual panes for sure; but, I guess I'm a little different regarding the level up. We ordered our Big Horn with just about every option except the level up. Never felt the need as leveling side to side is simple with the stacking blocks and bubble leveler on front. With hydraulic front jacks the front to rear level is a snap as well. Just couldn't see the benefit for the bucks. We spent that money on on-board generator.

pegmikef

Level up is the only way to go. It, as well as dual pane windows are a lot cheaper when installed by the factory and the MSRP of each is somewhat negotialbe (at least it was with my dealer last year). After market is pretty pricey.

Jim.Allison

You will appreciate the double windows in two ways. Condensation is reduced by double pane. you will find out how important this is when you start using your rig. Second, they reduce noise. A yapping dog in the RV park is one example and a guy running his generator after quiet time is another. Mine are tinted and that is a plus.

The six point is absolute a necessity. I unhook and set up my rig in 15 minutes, the dadgum sewer hose is the biggest single problem. One time we were camping in a primitive campground. When I rolled up there was a guy setting up his rig, I parked, unhitched, hooked up, leveled up, put out my carpet and chairs, moved the picnic table to suit me and popped the top on my beer. His wife was doing what she could and at the same time bringing him shims, boards and various other items to assist in the leveling. I was drinking a good beer watching all this, I volunteered to assist or at least provide a cool one. An hour later he retracted all of it in favor of starting over as the jacks exceeded their limits. My wife said that the 6 point was the best investment we ever made. We watched as he lowered the tong to an appropriate level as he began again. He finally got it leveled or at lease stabilized to his satisfaction. by the time he ultimately gave up, Amy had finished preparing a great meal.

So yes the 6 point is worth every penny.

A local dealer has a new old stock '14 3070RE at a pretty good price, but, it doesn't have dual pane windows nor the six point level up options.

The dual panes are a must for us so we're getting a quote for that, but we are dithering about the auto leveling system.

I know it won't be cheap to have it retro-fitted so am asking it of those who do have it, worthwhile, or no?

Thanks in advance,

Tim & Jo

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dual panes for sure; but, I guess I'm a little different regarding the level up. We ordered our Big Horn with just about every option except the level up. Never felt the need as leveling side to side is simple with the stacking blocks and bubble leveler on front. With hydraulic front jacks the front to rear level is a snap as well. Just couldn't see the benefit for the bucks. We spent that money on on-board generator.
Same scenario exactly for us.

I also have scissor jacks midship in front of the wheels, for a poor man's 6 pt. leveling system. I use a cordless drill to run them down in about 2 seconds. Along with JT's it really firms everything up when the rig is parked. I have the big ball bearing level on the front of the rig. Makes side to side leveling a breeze.We have moved our rig at least 100+ times in the last 3 1/2 years. Not a big deal to set up in this fashion.
I may get a Level-Up someday, if I ever become too feeble to do it any other way.
I do recommend the dual pane windows. Ours have been great. Trace

Last edited:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
When you order the Level Up, do you still get the "Popping" sound with it. Or have they fixed that issue yet.

Jim.Allison

DIY generator install can help pay for levelup system. Buy Gen prep, install generator yourself, buy level up. delete TVs and vacuum cleaners. Buy that stuff at costco. Don't finance TV's and vacs for 10 to 20 years.

You will cuss every time you have to set up, knowing you could have pushed a single button to level up. No shims, no nothing. Push one button. Then, if you work the 6 point properly, it will retract back to the starting level, which is probably your hitch height. I dont even think about what it cost, nor do I think about what the windows cost me either. I'm glad I don't have to huff and puff and carry around shims and blocks in the basement. Of course as with anything you can get better with practice using jacks, so it may not be as bad as what i think.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had HL install my generator at the factory. They only charged me a price equal to what it was going to cost me to purchase the gennie on my own and install it myself.
Fyi, if you plan to self-install an Onan 5500, make sure you bring a forklift.
Stuffing a 330 lb generator in the front compartment under the overhang, would be a tough task. Trace

pegmikef

When you order the Level Up, do you still get the "Popping" sound with it. Or have they fixed that issue yet.

I guess they must have fixed it. My 2014 BH is just over a year old and I have camped in most temperature ranges except extreme cold (below 15 degrees F) and have never expeienced any popping sounds.

Hunter11

Ours has made the "popping" sound since we got it home. Called Lippert and they suggested replace one quart of fluid with fork oil. Did that and it quit for a couple of weeks but has come back again. A second call and they suggested another quart of fork oil as that has helped some of the Redwoods with the issue. It still pops and now it has started to jerk a bit when it does it. That will make you nervous when it happens in the middle of the night. I am getting to know the person at Heartland very well that has been handling our warranty issues. I am waiting for them to get back with me on what course to take with this. Also one of our interior dual pane windows cracked and we don't know if it was caused by the trailer jerking when the level up pops. Nothing else has been around the window.

scottyb

If I ordered a new unit, I would probably get it, but no way would I spend the money to have it done after the fact. Maybe I'm not as picky about being level as some, but leveling my rig has not been much of an issue for me. $4500 would buy a lot of diesel.

Jim.Allison

$4500 would pay the RV park help to level it. LOL. Yes you need to be able to negotiate it when you are ordering it. After market is way to expensive, I **** sure did not pay that much for the 6 point.
If I ordered a new unit, I would probably get it, but no way would I spend the money to have it done after the fact. Maybe I'm not as picky about being level as some, but leveling my rig has not been much of an issue for me. $4500 would buy a lot of diesel.

stevenssr

I have the 3070RE without those things. Would I like them? Sure. Whether it is worth the big money is a personal decision. I think if I was full-timing it might be worth it to me. But for my weekend usage and occasional vacation, this is fine. Last Christmas I was camping at 10-15 degrees and at this temperature the windows do sweat and actually begin to form ice on them. They are also a little more drafty in the extreme cold. Level-up? Again, I would like that, but it's manageable without it. Since this is a hobby for me and not my home, I have to draw the line some place. If budget were no concern, I'd say I "need" every option available. It's easy to make a case that full-body paint, upgraded axles/brakes, level-up, double pane windows and the whole options list is better than not having them. You could also make a case for using that option money to upgrade to a Big Horn or Landmark. For most of us, it's a personal decision regarding availability of money, and usage. If I were Mark Cuban I might buy a fully loaded Landmark to go to the lake once a year for a weekend. If I was a welder, I might buy a fully-loaded Landmark for my home so I could move were the jobs are. I'm not sure how anyone can tell you whether it is "worth it" to you. Good luck with your decision!

TimnJo

Thanks everybody for all your input.

I guess she who holds the purse strings will be making the final decision, but I'll be pulling hard for the inclusion!

Anyway, it may not happen at all; just found out our son has decided to move back home and go back to college, keeping him in oats will keep us from buying anything for the next two years!

Tim