Skid rollers

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Good idea Mike. On our BH I've dragged the rear and broke the lower hooped section of the ladder off. Easy enough to fix but the spare tire hangs pretty low as well. I'd hate to rip that off.:rolleyes:

Mrsfish

Gosh- I thought our 'tailless' ladder was our private signature look ;). Didn't bother to fix ours, figured it just get broke again and we don't use it to get on the roof anyway.

ParkIt

Nice set of pictures of those skid rollers though I'd install a 3rd one for center weight. What do they recommend for placement inch wise on the ones you have pictures of?

wdk450

Ray:
I have the broken lower ladder hoop too from backing into a hillside at a very hilly RV park (There was an open space on TOP of a little hill I was trying to back into, but it was too steep for the Dodge to do it.
I still have the old ladder piece. What did you do to fix it? Mine snapped off at the plastic inserts connecting the two pieces.

HornedToad

The Skid Rollers are a U Fab product that I ordered from eTrailer, I've seen several vendors that carry that line. They come in different sizes, I got the biggest ones I could find. (3X2X3) I was really impressed with the quality. If you look closely in the first photo you'll see the internal bearings, bushings and wet bolts with a nylon nut. (Thanks Dave I learnt a new term from your earlier post today) I hand packed the bearings but I'll be able to keep them wet with the grease zerks.

The installation instructions were very vague...

"Weld on skid rollers to any location that drags on the ground for any type and size vehicle/trailer."

So I welded them as far back as possible to the bottom of each frame rail.
(I in this sentence means I helped/watched my friend that's a shop manager weld them)

After bending a pair of scissor jacks in my old trailer and a close call in my new one...
I figure it's a wise investment!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray:
I have the broken lower ladder hoop too from backing into a hillside at a very hilly RV park (There was an open space on TOP of a little hill I was trying to back into, but it was too steep for the Dodge to do it.
I still have the old ladder piece. What did you do to fix it? Mine snapped off at the plastic inserts connecting the two pieces.
Bill, I removed the lower rung on the ladder and bought a length of thin wall 1/2" conduit. I cut pieces to fit inside the ladder tubing and cut them long enough to go as far as I could both up and down into the lower hoop. Drilled holes in the conduit as needed to reassemble the ladder and a couple of holes in the lower hoop to keep it assembled. It was an easy fix and it seems more sturdy than before it broke.
I think I'll have to be more careful now so I don't tear the whole ladder off.