Skiing and RVing

Bohemian

So where do you ski while RVing and where do you stay?

Does the ski resort have RV parking? Hookups?

Thanks, we are starting to plan what we want to do when full timing.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We prefer southern Colorado and New Mexico, because they are easiest to get to from Texas. Most of the time, roads to these places can be just fine. We've altered trip plans on a few occasions due to weather, but not often.

We've been to Breckenridge, Co, and stayed at Tiger Run Resort. We've been to Ski Santa Fe, and stayed at Santa Fe Skies RV Park, with a side trip (day trip in truck) to Angel Fire. We've been to Durango Mountain, and stayed at Westerly RV Park, with a side trip (day trip in truck) to Wolf Creek. We've been to Ski Apache, and stayed at Circle B RV Park.

I would not recommend pulling the RV to the resort, parking is a premium -- they pack them in like sardines. Plus, many resorts are in mountainous terrain, with road conditions I would NOT want to be towing in!

We take the truck to the ski resort. If the resort is directing traffic, they do often position us with other larger vehicles, or with plenty of space, so we haven't had trouble getting out. We often pack a sack lunch to take with us to avoid the high food prices on mountain. Sometimes if parking is close, we eat sitting on the truck tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

We're at Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge, CO. The resort has full hookups, a large clubhouse with a full set of amenities, and twice-weekly social activities open to all. Many RVers use the full hookup. Others dry camp and use the restrooms in the clubhouse.

We drive 2 or 3 miles to the free ski parking and take the shuttle to the ski area. There's also free county bus service from outside the resort to Breckenridge, Keystone, and Copper Mountain ski areas, and to Frisco, Dillon, and Silverthorne shopping.

We do see the occasional RV parked in the free lot. Parking is usually not a problem except on holidays. I think you can stay overnight for $5. And there's a fee dump station about 4 or 5 miles down the road at Rt. 9/Swan Mtn Rd.

You do have to have some flexibility with travel plans. If I-70 gets heavy snow, you may need to wait a few days for the road conditions to improve.

TravelTiger

Oh I failed to mention all of the parks we've stayed in have full hookups, but many do not let you have water hooked up 24-7. They ask you to run off the fresh tank and/or disconnect hose when below freezing. Westerly RV Park does not have restrooms/shower facilities.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Oh I failed to mention all of the parks we've stayed in have full hookups, but many do not let you have water hooked up 24-7. They ask you to run off the fresh tank and/or disconnect hose when below freezing. Westerly RV Park does not have restrooms/shower facilities.

Last week while we were down in Arizona, the RV park we stayed in at the Grand Canyon had the water to all sites shut off for the winter.

I filled our fresh water tank there from a spicket they had by the office, but I didn't dewinterize the trailer until we got to the warmer weather west of Phoenix.

We basically dry camped the first five nights of our trip and used their facilities . . . used full hookups at the Arizona HOC Rally at Quartzsite for two nights . . . then used full hookups in Albuquerque on the last night of the trip, where I then drained and cleaned out the grey and black tanks, but left about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water in case we needed water on the road.

Bohemian

Great information.

We have seen a campground at Lake Tahoe that appears to be open but we have never been RVing when there. Happily skiing on the parent plan. Real close to Heavenly and State Line, and therefore to many ski resorts.

TravelTiger

Last week while we were down in Arizona, the RV park we stayed in at the Grand Canyon had the water to all sites shut off for the winter.

I filled our fresh water tank there from a spicket they had by the office, but I didn't dewinterize the trailer until we got to the warmer weather west of Phoenix.

We basically dry camped the first five nights of our trip and used their facilities . . . used full hookups at the Arizona HOC Rally at Quartzsite for two nights . . . then used full hookups in Albuquerque on the last night of the trip, where I then drained and cleaned out the grey and black tanks, but left about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water in case we needed water on the road.

Yes we usually travel to our destination winterized, and once there, dewinterize. Sometimes we've re-winterized before returning, but often we are driving back to warmer (above freezing) parts of the country. Once you've done that process a few times, it's really quite easy and quick. Takes about 15-20 min.

One time we left Durango, there were still slushy ice on the roads, and the temp was -9 when we headed out. We did not attempt to empty tanks, because we were headed south where we knew the temps would be warmer. About mid-day we stopped and dumped tanks at a roadside rest area that had a dump station. (It was then about 45*)

Be prepared to shovel snow off slides and roof, just in case you get 13" overnight. ;)

67819935002cd8ac90852d9c96e58978.jpg

OEFVET

If you ever want to come out east there are many nice sking and sledding camping areas in NY. I would mention them but I know you said the mid-west is your interest.

TravelTiger

Heck, we'd be somewhere we could ski all winter (Like Dan & Ann at Tiger Run!) if we were retired, still got a ways to go (w*rking) (mid 40s).

Geodude

Skiers here! Thanks for posting the info about Tiger Run. It's on our radar for a possible one-month stop next year.

TravelTiger

Skiers here! Thanks for posting the info about Tiger Run. It's on our radar for a possible one-month stop next year.

Book it at least 4-6 mo in advance, they do get full. ;)

danemayer

Good to know, thanks! What do they charge there for a month?

Here's a link to the Tiger Run website. Currently, winter rates start at $900/month plus electric. Rates change so they could be higher or lower for next winter. The lead time on reservations is not as long for the winter, but if you want a Clubhouse Row site (and you probably do), you should book early.

You'll also want to get a Season Pass for skiing. The Summit Value Pass gets you access to Breckenridge, Keystone, and A-Basin for about $450 (versus $140/day for lift tickets at Breck). But you have to buy in the early Fall. I don't remember the deadline, but after that date the pass costs something like $2800.

Geodude

That's great info, thanks! Our other option is that we have a daughter talking about taking a year off after graduating from university this spring and working/ski bumming at Whistler next winter, so we were thinking a month at Whistler/Blackcomb might be pretty cool. But she may not want us cramping her style either!

Bohemian

I just saw an RV TV show. They we talking about a campground near Mammoth and of course skiing at Mammoth.