Slam Latch Baggage Door Discussion

Bobby A

Bobgy,
Thats so funny we met at RV capital, glad to hear the factory did you right, they also did a GREAT job for us, did a fabulous job on putting in a new floor in less than 3 hours, it took RV capital 3 days to screw up. The factory also did a few other things that RV capital could not do. I have nothing but GREAT things to say about the factory. Let me know on your new slam baggage door and how it turns out. This will be my 3rd one. I hope Jim B is right and they finally got the problem resolved.

sgtbigb

I have the same problem with the doors on my 2010 3610RE, I am also waiting for a reply from Heartland for a replacement door.

palebluedot

I just received the call today that the new slam latch baggage door arrived and has been installed on the 3610RE. WE will be picking it up tomorrow. Will report the results then.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Gee, glad that have a solution. I've replaced one and the 2nd one is going out after a month or so. I was ready to put pop rivets in it to fix it one way or the other.

rgirouard

Slam Baggage Door

I also have bad baggage doors (separating).
I called Customer Service at Heartland and was told that they do not do any warranty work. How did you get them to do the work for you. I certainly would rather the factory replace the door for me. Any info would be much appreciated. They are steering me to RV Capital.
Roger

Yes, Bobgy that was us, how did you know ?? were you the other folks that was at RV Capital and took your unit to the factory the same day we did ??

Bob & Patty, I thought I heard somewhere that Dometic was making the slam baggage doors ??

Thanks guys,
Bobby A

rick_debbie_gallant

sure wish i would have known about some of these problems before I purchased my unit. Hope I dont have some of these same problems everyone else is having.... so far no problems but for a few minor fit and finish issues.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I've got the same problem with my 2010 Pinehurst. Love the new doors but everytime I open the doorside baggage door, it rubs, scrapes and then "pops" to the open position.

Got a call into my dealer, Chesapeake RV Solutions but Tim and Jacolyn are on their annual Anniversary vaction so I gotta wait until Tuesday to talk with him.:rolleyes: Not going any where with the trailer for a couple of weeks so I am not in a big hurry. I know Tim will make it right when he gets home.:p

I was going to say "wish I could take a week off" but then I'll be gone for two weeks next month on a Alaskan Cruise so I guess I can't say too much about them taking a week away.:)

Keith

palebluedot

Well, we picked up the Bighorn today and the dealer replaced the complete slam latch door unit (door & frame) . It looks exactly like the old unit. I was under the impression that Heartland had a "new design" for replacing the defective units. The new one is working fine for now, but I am keeping a close watch to see if it starts doing like to old one. The original unit had some slack in the hinge pins around the nylon bushings. The new one is tight now, but for how long? Aside from the slam latch door, I had an issue with the entrance door as it would not lock from the inside using the turn knob. Seems the latch bolt would not line up with the hole in the strike plate. The technician in attempting to correct that problem bent the strike plate and door frame. He must have been using a crowbar and hammer. So now they have to order a new entrance door assembly which is supposed to take a couple weeks and another trip back to the dealer (116 miles). Maybe I will know by then if the new slam latch door is going to hold up. Jeeeze !!!

Superduty

Grand Canyon
Put me on the Doorside latch door broken as well.. The RV is a 2010 Landmark Grand Canyon. The Dealer told me it was 4 weeks until they could get a door,, Then the body shop will have to paint and stripe...

For the mean time I just drilled a hole and stuck a machine screw threw it and tightened it up... also painted to match... Working great..

Bobby A

I called Customer Service at Heartland and was told that they do not do any warranty work. How did you get them to do the work for you. I certainly would rather the factory replace the door for me. Any info would be much appreciated. They are steering me to RV Capital.
Roger

Roger, the slam baggage door comes with the frame & door all in one assembly, your dealer should be able to do an R&R, I would be most conserned that the new door you receive is the new fix. I have been told that the factory is putting the new fix on line, so the new doors should be the fixed version. As far as us going to the factory, we had some work done at a place, and the work was totally unexceptable, long story.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Roger

HEARTLAND HAS DEALERS ACROSS THE USA TO DO THE WARRANTY WORK. NOBODY GOES TO GM AND ASKS THEM TO DO A TUNEUP. THINK ABOUT IT.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Well, we picked up the Bighorn today and the dealer replaced the complete slam latch door unit (door & frame) . It looks exactly like the old unit. I was under the impression that Heartland had a "new design" for replacing the defective units.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU GOT THE ORIGINAL DOOR. JUST WAIT A FEW MONTHS AND IT WILL GO OUT AGAIN. THEN YOU WILL GET THE "REAL" DOOR.

jnbhobe

Does anyone have pictures of a bad door. I had slam doors installed after the Goshen rally. Just wondering if I have the new design. Jon :confused: :confused: :confused:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Wait a few weeks and you will find out. I have not seen the new one, but i do have 2 of the bad ones. Somehow, i think the outside metal skin and the inside metal skin will be welded together. They are now glued to a foam core in the middle which does not hold them together.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think there is a little bit of a misconception concerning who exactly is re-designing the slam baggage doors.

The doors are NOT manufactured by Heartland. The are a vendor item supplied by Mor-Ryde and any re-design will be done by them. Heartland's only involvement would be to have the newly designed door put on their assembly line for installation, and to have any defective ones replaced, thru their dealer network, after obtaining them from Mor-Ryde...hope this helps.

palebluedot

I get the impression from the other posts that there are 2 different problems with the current door unit. My problem concerns the door edge scraping the top of the frame which shaves off paint and metal. What I'm hearing is another unrelated issue with the door sections coming apart.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I get the impression from the other posts that there are 2 different problems with the current door unit. My problem concerns the door edge scraping the top of the frame which shaves off paint and metal. What I'm hearing is another unrelated issue with the door sections coming apart.

Bill,

My problem is exactly the same as yours. Rubbing on the top and scrapping the paint away. I'm not sure if it is a different problem or just that you stated it differenty than others. It seems we all have issue with the door rubbing and not being able to re-align it.

Keith

2010augusta

top hinged or side hinged?

Our LM as the early style side hinged doors, and the only problem we have is the door does scrap the screw heads that hold the frame in place, but I am having no other issues. That made me wonder if the issues could have arose when HL or mor-ryde changed the design from side hinged to a top hinged design? Those of you with issues; do you have top hinged or side hinged baggage doors?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Does anyone have pictures of a bad door. I had slam doors installed after the Goshen rally. Just wondering if I have the new design. Jon :confused: :confused: :confused:
Jon, I seem to remember they had determined the problem just before our time at Mor/ryde. I'm guessing here but you should have gotten the newer version of the doors. By the way, I hope all is well with you guys. It was great to meet you & Patti.