Slide awnings and dual pane windows for 3185rl Bighorn

Arly

Just wondering if anyone has any idea what the slide awnings weigh and if they are very efficient? Also same question about the dual pane windows, how much extra weight difference from single pane?

Thanks
Arlene

jnbhobe

As far as I'm concerned those are two of the options that are must haves. I don't think the weight could be over 300 lbs at most. I know the awnings are light, windows are a little more but not enough to not get them. Maybe someone elce has exact weights.

The dual pane windows make such a difference both in cold and hot weather. We have had 5 people sleeping in our 3670RL and in the morning none of the windows were wet from all the humidity that builds up. We would not order a rig without them.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I too feel they are both must haves. I cannot tell you how much weight each adds because of the differences in lengths for the awnings and the different amounts and sizes of windows between unit. Either way I think they are well worth it.

Good luck,
Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Arlene, I agree with all the above posts. We had both options on our last Bighorn, got them on this one and will have em on the next one. No brainer for me.
The benefits out weigh the weight concern.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since we bought ours from dealer stock, it doesn't have dual pane windows. But so far we've not had a real need for them during the Michigan summers. But the slide toppers (or awnings) we did add and they're well worth it. Another consideration is to add a window awning for your main slide. You'll definitely appreciate it if the afternoon sun is on that side of your trailer.

View attachment 12688

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Another consideration is to add a window awning for your main slide. You'll definitely appreciate it if the afternoon sun is on that side of your trailer.

View attachment 12688

There ya go John, settin' the seed so I spend some more money on another "just gotta have it"!!! Window Awning, yeah, that's the ticket! PS camp's gotchurwallet and mine!

We have both of these item's on our 3185 and although I don't know what weight they add to the trailer, I can say that we are much warmer in this coach with the dual pane windows than we were in the last one. Slide toppers are a necessity unless you plan on climbing onto the roof to clean the slides off everytime you close them. Not only the accumulation of leaves and such, if it has rained whatever water is laying up there will wind up in the trailer! IMHO install the slide toppers at the very least!

Birchwood

We have the slide awnings on our Landmark and want you to know they are noisy and
hold lots of water after rains .We also feel they are well worth the extra expense as
other members have mentioned.
We don't have the dual panes and have never had humidity on the inside glass although
here in Florida we do get humidity on the outside in early morning.
I have heard of the dual panes leaking air causing the glass to cloud so this may be
something to think about before ordering.

JohnDar

We have the slide awnings on our Landmark and want you to know they are noisy and
hold lots of water after rains .We also feel they are well worth the extra expense as
other members have mentioned.
We don't have the dual panes and have never had humidity on the inside glass although
here in Florida we do get humidity on the outside in early morning.
I have heard of the dual panes leaking air causing the glass to cloud so this may be
something to think about before ordering.

You can make a lightweight support for them out of 1" PVC pipe. Some folks just stuff a beach ball under them. Only the main slide on ours drooped enough to collect water. So I made the PVC support. It disassembles easily.

JohnDar

There ya go John, settin' the seed so I spend some more money on another "just gotta have it"!!! Window Awning, yeah, that's the ticket! PS camp's gotchurwallet and mine!

We have both of these item's on our 3185 and although I don't know what weight they add to the trailer, I can say that we are much warmer in this coach with the dual pane windows than we were in the last one. Slide toppers are a necessity unless you plan on climbing onto the roof to clean the slides off everytime you close them. Not only the accumulation of leaves and such, if it has rained whatever water is laying up there will wind up in the trailer! IMHO install the slide toppers at the very least!

It's expanded to "Camp Drain-de-IRA." I had several upgrades I wanted to do, so rather than leave it for some ungrateful relative, I pulled some cash out to do them.