Slide failure. My worst RV nightmare

beasleyrl

My rig is significantly older than yours so it may be different, but I had a similar issue a couple of years ago while at a park. The scenario also sounds the same. I was pulling in the slides and heard a loud pop and then I noticed 1 side had stopped coming in. Fortunately, there was a mobile tech nearby and he came out relatively quickly. Bottom line - it was a simple fix but the tech went on to tell me it was a very common problem. In my case, it was a sheer pin. The part was $0.10 but the service call was about $100. Lesson learned. I carry a few extras now (that he gave me for my $100) but have never had to use them. The key is you have to be able to get to the mechanism to replace it but it literally is a 2 minute repair once you get there. Good luck!

SeattleLion

My rig is significantly older than yours so it may be different, but I had a similar issue a couple of years ago while at a park. The scenario also sounds the same. I was pulling in the slides and heard a loud pop and then I noticed 1 side had stopped coming in. Fortunately, there was a mobile tech nearby and he came out relatively quickly. Bottom line - it was a simple fix but the tech went on to tell me it was a very common problem. In my case, it was a sheer pin. The part was $0.10 but the service call was about $100. Lesson learned. I carry a few extras now (that he gave me for my $100) but have never had to use them. The key is you have to be able to get to the mechanism to replace it but it literally is a 2 minute repair once you get there. Good luck!

That's really interesting. I guess I need to find out how to get to the pin. It seems that I might have to drop the bottom of the slide. If that's the case it may be beyond my abilities.

beasleyrl

That's really interesting. I guess I need to find out how to get to the pin. It seems that I might have to drop the bottom of the slide. If that's the case it may be beyond my abilities.
Mine was actually the kitchen slide. The tech cut a small (6"x6") whole in the cover of the bottom of the rig below the main support then sealed it back with Gorilla tape. On my BR slide, I can get to the mechanism under my bed. I have to remove the mattress then unscrew the plywood cover on the top of the bed frame. In my opinion, it is actually easier to get to the BR mechanism because I don't have to crawl under the rig. Certainly a lot cleaner!

SeattleLion

Mine was actually the kitchen slide. The tech cut a small (6"x6") whole in the cover of the bottom of the rig below the main support then sealed it back with Gorilla tape. On my BR slide, I can get to the mechanism under my bed. I have to remove the mattress then unscrew the plywood cover on the top of the bed frame. In my opinion, it is actually easier to get to the BR mechanism because I don't have to crawl under the rig. Certainly a lot cleaner!

I probably have the same setup as you. Where is the shearpin?

beasleyrl

I probably have the same setup as you. Where is the shearpin?
I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. My slide has 2 main rods that make it move in/out. The pin goes in one of these. While he called it a sheer pin, it is actually just a bolt that holds the rod together. I suspect when you look at the mechanism, it will be pretty obvious to you. Sorry I can't describe it better. FYI - my slides are hydraulic so there is no motor on it because it runs off the pump in the front compartment. Not sure if this makes a difference or not. I just did a quick search and found this. It does a pretty good job of describing the process - http://rvtravel.com/blog/jerry/2007/08/5th-wheel-rvers-dont-get-caught-with.html

danemayer

Bob,

I'm not sure, but from the pictures in the Bal manual and others posted here, it looks to me like the motor, chains, cables, and pulleys might be under the bed platform. Maybe accessible with the slide extended.

SeattleLion

Bob,

I'm not sure, but from the pictures in the Bal manual and others posted here, it looks to me like the motor, chains, cables, and pulleys might be under the bed platform. Maybe accessible with the slide extended.

Dan,
it might. This weekend we'll take a look. The cables are both loose. That isn't normal. It can't hurt to look. Thanks for your expert help.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Slide failure. My worst RV nightmare...

I think your first problem occurred when you developed the idea that you purchased a luxury fifth wheel when you did not. Luxury fifth wheels are not purchased for the price you paid for your Bighorn. Not knocking Heartland and/or their Bighorn line. My research indicates that a luxury, more problem free fifth wheel costs considerably more than a Bighorn does.

That is pretty funny, considering our non-5th-wheel non-luxury pull behind Heartland Trail Runner, which cost probably half as much as one of the luxury Heartland 5th-wheel trailers, has not had any of the issues that I constantly read about with the much more expensive 5th-wheel Heartland counterparts.

I'm not saying that we didn't have any issues with our Heartland Trail Runner, but they were fairly minor in comparison, and most of them were caused by dealer warranty repairs that were not done right by them in the first place.

Just sayin' . . .

Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg CamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg Campout2012-PC250007.jpg Campout2012-PC270054.jpg

SeattleLion

We took the bed platform off and exposed the guts. I've attached pictures. There is a harness attached to the chain that snapped off. The threaded rod actually sheared off inside the connector. It also looks like the motor bent out away from the wall, though I can't be sure of that.

WP_20141101_001.jpgWP_20141101_003.jpg

Boca_Shuffles

It looks you will need some parts and service from Heartland. Be sure to contact Customer Service Monday morning. With your pictures, you might get on-site service.

After looking at the previous article on repairing the mechanism, be sure to have shear pins and not hardened bolts on hand for future potential problems. You might ask the repairman if you had shear pins in you unit. If a hardened bolt was substituted at the factory, it could be the cause of the severity of your problem.

You can get shear pins from your traditional hardware store ain the specialized nuts and bolts bins. Just ask the clerk for a shear pin for a snow blower auger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SeattleLion

It looks you will need some parts and service from Heartland. Be sure to contact Customer Service Monday morning. With your pictures, you might get on-site service.

After looking at the previous article on repairing the mechanism, be sure to have shear pins and not hardened bolts on hand for future potential problems. You might ask the repairman if you had shear pins in you unit. If a hardened bolt was substituted at the factory, it could be the cause of the severity of your problem.

You can get shear pins from your traditional hardware store ain the specialized nuts and bolts bins. Just ask the clerk for a shear pin for a snow blower auger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Heartland has already agreed to have the dealer come out.