Slide on passenger side leaks water when driving in rain

We have a 2016 3160EL Bighorn. In October 2016 we drove from Sparks, NV to Lodi, Ca, rained the whole time. When we parked and put the slides out the carpet was sopping wet. We were able to get the carpet replaced and other repairs done. But, the leak is not fixed. We picked the 5th wheel up 4/5/17 in Washington state and drove it to Merlin, Oregon, rained most of the way home. The new carpet is wet. This is dirty road water. Not happy. Has anyone else had this problem?

mlpeloquin

We have a 2016 3160EL Bighorn. In October 2016 we drove from Sparks, NV to Lodi, Ca, rained the whole time. When we parked and put the slides out the carpet was sopping wet. We were able to get the carpet replaced and other repairs done. But, the leak is not fixed. We picked the 5th wheel up 4/5/17 in Washington state and drove it to Merlin, Oregon, rained most of the way home. The new carpet is wet. This is dirty road water. Not happy. Has anyone else had this problem?

No. Sounds like the bottom seals are not correct or missing.

sengli

That seal on the bottom of the slide has to be in contact with the slide floor, along the entire length of that slide. I did some repair on my lower slide seals once, and it is surprising that the carpet is just on the inside lip of that seal. Extend your slide and attach some photos of that lower seal.

That seal on the bottom of the slide has to be in contact with the slide floor, along the entire length of that slide. I did some repair on my lower slide seals once, and it is surprising that the carpet is just on the inside lip of that seal. Extend your slide and attach some photos of that lower seal.

Not sure how to attach pictures.

danemayer

To post a picture, click on the icon as shown. Then browse your computer and find the picture to upload. Then press the upload button.

Add picture icon.jpg

ksucats

Look at the side seals to make sure they are making good contact when you close your slides. On my landmark the slide did not seal all the way up against the body - I could see daylight through the lower edge of the front seal. Dealer has replaced the seals and the last time even doubled up the seals to get a good seal.

Look at the side seals to make sure they are making good contact when you close your slides. On my landmark the slide did not seal all the way up against the body - I could see daylight through the lower edge of the front seal. Dealer has replaced the seals and the last time even doubled up the seals to get a good seal.

Thanks

Kinguni

That happened to us while travelling last summer on our 16 Prowler. Noticed we can see daylight alongside the bottom of the slide when it's closed. It's at our dealer now so we'll find out what their fix is. Wasn't a bad enough leak to replace carpets or anything. Just put a fan on it to dry it.

Hogladyrider

We have a 2017 Cyclone 3611JS and we had this happen to us for the first time this week.

First time driving in rain and when we stopped for the day we noticed that the carpet trim on the double slide out was wet only in the area above the wheels.

It was easy to see the "wet" areas on the wood under the carpet. We were able to dry it all out with a fan overnite but it surely was not something we were expecting to happen in our home on wheels.

Once we get settled into our summer location we will have to inspect the underside of the RV for gaps or missing seals.

Of course the timing is amazing as we just passed our one year warranty date!

Thinking this may be a design flaw that Heartland needs to be made aware of as well for future builds.

Susan & Gary

We have a 2017 Cyclone 3611JS and we had this happen to us for the first time this week.

First time driving in rain and when we stopped for the day we noticed that the carpet trim on the double slide out was wet only in the area above the wheels.

It was easy to see the "wet" areas on the wood under the carpet. We were able to dry it all out with a fan overnite but it surely was not something we were expecting to happen in our home on wheels.

Once we get settled into our summer location we will have to inspect the underside of the RV for gaps or missing seals.

Of course the timing is amazing as we just passed our one year warranty date!

Thinking this may be a design flaw that Heartland needs to be made aware of as well for future builds.

Susan & Gary

Contact Heartland Warranty department, this seems to be a problem for several Heartland RVs.

Kinguni

The fix for ours was adding some foam blocks, which have been falling off with the slide open. Not impressed. Just under 2 years we've had it. Well out of warranty. Worth calling Heartland about it?