Slide out issues and possible fire danger

stevebotts

Thought all you BigHorn owners might be interested in this. Our electric bedroom slide quit working. A mobile repair service was called. What they found was that all the wiring for the bedroom to include the slide, the electrical outlets and the overhead reading lights was laying on the floor under the slide. As the slide came in and out it was moving all those wires around. Eventually it took off the red head for the slide and the wires separated causing the slide to stop. Not only that but the in and out was pulling on the 110 wire and also wearing the other wire coatings. The tech freplaced the red head and the slide works. He also slit the carpet and placed all the wires UNDER the carpet and tacked the carpet back down. He was quite concerned about the fire danger had the slide cut into the 110 wire. Maybe Heartland needs to be more attuned to where they leave live wiring????

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There was a similar issue some time back about the hydraulic bed slide rubbing the wires under the platform. Until the installers get the message, it's best for owners to check under the bed for any abrasion of the insulation and take corrective action. Something as simple as putting a section of plastic wire conduit over it or zip tying it out of harm's way may be all that's needed.

SeattleLion

There was a similar issue some time back about the hydraulic bed slide rubbing the wires under the platform. Until the installers get the message, it's best for owners to check under the bed for any abrasion of the insulation and take corrective action. Something as simple as putting a section of plastic wire conduit over it or zip tying it out of harm's way may be all that's needed.

We're new with our Bighorn. Where do we look? Do we just open the hinged platform? Any chance to get some photos?

sengli

Mine wiring wasnt rubbed thru, but they were just lying there. You have to remove the plywood under the mattress to access the motor and wiring.

aatauses

I also checked ours(hydraulic slide) when this issue first came out. I also found a simple solution that I posted, but not sure how to find it now??
al
currently in Deadwood, SD

aatauses

I found my original thread, just not sure how to redirect you to it. It was titled 'safety issue--reroute electric wire in bedroom' and dated 10-11-2010. Had one picture with it and simple directions.
al

wdk450

I'm no professional electrician or firefighter, but it seems to me that it is illegal under the electrical code to run live power wiring directly under carpeting.

Thought all you BigHorn owners might be interested in this. Our electric bedroom slide quit working. A mobile repair service was called. What they found was that all the wiring for the bedroom to include the slide, the electrical outlets and the overhead reading lights was laying on the floor under the slide. As the slide came in and out it was moving all those wires around. Eventually it took off the red head for the slide and the wires separated causing the slide to stop. Not only that but the in and out was pulling on the 110 wire and also wearing the other wire coatings. The tech freplaced the red head and the slide works. He also slit the carpet and placed all the wires UNDER the carpet and tacked the carpet back down. He was quite concerned about the fire danger had the slide cut into the 110 wire. Maybe Heartland needs to be more attuned to where they leave live wiring????