Slide out roof very noisey in the rain

SailorDon

I was in my 2014 Wilderness 2175 RB last night when the rain came. The slide out was fully extended (33"). The noise on the roof of the slide out was deafening. Couldn't even hear the TV.:(

I closed the slide out and the noise stopped (while the rain continued). I could hear the TV again.:)

Does anyone have a solution to the sound of rain on the roof of the slideout?
Maybe a foam pad, but that would get wet and soggy.

happyappy

Rain on the roof is actually one of my favorite sounds. I don't have them, but I suspect slide covers would reduce the noise substantially. The trade-off would be some noise from the slide covers in heavy wind.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I like the sound as well but I also have slide toppers that catches the rain before it hits slide out roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Aftermarket by dometic or carefree of Colorado?? I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

I would say you need to stop at your local RV Dealer or a Camping World and look into them before doing anything. Also check on the construction of your slideout to see if one can be attached. Their might be restrictions of some sort that would prevent you from doing it and prevent some over zealous RV shop from selling you something that shouldn't be installed on your trailer.
You can see them on the Camping World site and also get an idea of the cost, you just need to know the approximate width of your slide out.

Last edited:

GlenStMary

Our 2013 Landmark came with them and they do quiet down the rain...and pine cones, pecans, etc. falling from the sky. The only downside I've had with them is they do collect leaves, sticks, pine needles , etc that I have to brush off before pulling the slides in. All in all, if they help protect the slide seals on the top and keep water from working it's way into the coach, I can live with an occasional climb on the roof to brush off the junk.

SailorDon

I believe slide toppers will not work for my application.

When the wind comes up, I have to roll up the awning. Easily done from inside. Push the button to roll up the awning.
When the travel trailer slide out is deployed, how do you roll up the slide topper?

I thought of an awning to cover the extended slide out. That way when the wind comes up, I can roll up the "slide out awning" by pushing the button.
The problem is on my particular model, the top of the slide out module is close to the roof line of the travel trailer.

The chance for interference between the awning and the top of the slide out unit is too much to risk.

Still working on a solution.

danemayer

Slide awnings don't catch the wind like the main awnings so you wouldn't need to worry about rolling them up unless you had really severe weather. Then you'd pull in the slides to ride out the weather.

kowAlski631

We've been in VERY windy conditions (gusts 40+, sustained 20+) on several occasions with no problems with our slide covers. They're worth it.

dbbls59

Sailor Don, I don't believe you understand how slide toppers work. They are fastened to the slide and to the side of the trailer. They automatically open up when the slide is extended and close when the slide is retracted. There is room to install them on yourtrailer.

SailorDon

We've been in VERY windy conditions (gusts 40+, sustained 20+) on several occasions with no problems with our slide covers. They're worth it.

Not only wind strength, but wind direction and the width and length of the slide extension must be considered.
40 mph wind on the downwind side slide cover is no problem. On the upwind side, it might capsize your travel trailer, or just make a lot of noise like my awning does.

From my sailing experience, a piece of sail material 33" wide by 8 feet long is going to cause problems in a heavy wind if you don't reef it.

I'm considering a closed cell foam pool float mattress placed on top of the slide using bungee cords. Typically these float mattresses are somewhat smaller than my application. Usually 25" wide by 70" long.
http://www.poolsupplies.com/product...pool-floating-closed-cell-foam-mattress--blue
The price is right at $80 to $100.
Roll up and store in the outside storage compartment when ready to hit the road.

That should dampen the loud drum like sound of rain on the slide roof. No installation required.

Saildogs

We are sailors on the Chesapeake Bay. Your comparison to reefing regarding slide toppers is not correct. The toppers attach to the trailer and the top of the slide out. On our North Trail, the topper does not cause any issues in high winds and does not need to be reefed as sails do.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Have been RVing for more than 30 years...have had slide toppers on every rig and have never, ever heard of any trailer "capsizing" in high winds due to toppers. Been in winds with gusts over 80 mph...the worst thing that happened the topper ripped and had to be replaced.

SailorDon

We are sailors on the Chesapeake Bay. Your comparison to reefing regarding slide toppers is not correct. The toppers attach to the trailer and the top of the slide out. On our North Trail, the topper does not cause any issues in high winds and does not need to be reefed as sails do.

You have your opinions and I have mine.

My last camping experience prior to my Wilderness 2175 RB was at Pirates Cove Marina, Josephine, Alabama. The wind came up that night and destroyed one vendor's display tent and upset a few others.

While Mother Nature was trashing out the Coca-Cola stand at midnight, my Eureka dome tent was being uprooted. The tent stakes pulled out of the ground and I took a short unscheduled "tour" around the campground. :(

I was able to put the darn thing back together in the dark and rain and cold, but it was not a pleasant experience.

Judging by the damage done at that event, it is my opinion that a deployed slide cover could not only make noise (like a flogging sail), but might also do damage, like pulling out the attachment rail to the trailer and/or slide out unit.

If it would fit, a separately deployable awning would be an acceptable solution, but there is very little clearance between the top of the slide unit and the top of the travel trailer as can be seen in the photo below.

Last edited:

danemayer

SailorDon,

I think you've certainly got some reasons that slideout awnings are not for you. And that's ok. They're optional so you can have a trailer with them or without. I think it's fair to say that most owners with them like them. But that doesn't mean they're for everyone. Thanks for sharing your view.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Yes...but it took an 80 mph wind...50 to 60 mph, which is much more the "norm" have virtually no affect. I for one would not be without them...