Slide room Gear replacement

davebennington

Has anyone replaced the off door side slide room gear? My slide gear has broken several teeth off the gear. I have called Heartland Customer Service and they are sending me a gear pack.The question I have is how hard is it to replace the gears?

Thanks

dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have not done that but at least you will have the parts available to a servicer so you don't have to wait on parts.

Dumboldles

I had to have mine replaced under warranty and didn't seem to be that complicated...wating on the parts was the hard part. In talking with my service manager Lippert makes a more heavy duty part to replace the gears that broke, you may want to check that out.

Dumboldles

danemayer

Dave,

I can't find the post, but I remember someone having a problem in the last year with a broken gear. I think it broke more than once and Lippert provided washers or a kit of some kind to change the load on the gear. You might want to also call Lippert for advice.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Should be fairly easy. Just 2 bolts on the brackets and 1 through the shift. Hopefully they send you the whole assembly with the gear on the shaft already. Don't over tighten the bolts on the mounting bracket they have lock nut so just snug is fine.
These are pictures of my falling apart after our first trip out after we picked it up from the dealer.
I would Jack the slide shaft up to take the weight off. Then pull the 2 cross bolts out of the brackets.
Drop the cross shaft down and remove the bolt holding the gear to the shaft. You might want to loosen that bolt before you drop it down to make it easier.
Pay attention to how it all goes together before you disable it.
Well I guess you have 3 more you can look at if you get confused LOL
Make sure you count the teeth on the new gear and it matches the old one.
Also don't move the slide in or out after you drop it down as you'll put the slide gears out of time with each other. "I guess with the broken teeth it might be already.
Just measure both sides of the slid to make sure they match then mount the gear back on
Piece of cake...

3b3abef99244da1ad6e752f5fc4f8bea.jpg
052e06ecd3c86a32b2a747896367b379.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

davebennington

Jarrod,

Sorry to hear that you had the same problem, however that is exactly what I was looking for someone with experience in doing the job. I will attempt doing it myself now that I see what you did and how you handled it.

Thank you

dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I basically just jacked it up and replace the end flange and nuts that were missing. Luckily my dealer had some spare parts from a warranty job they had just done and they gave me what I needed.
You can PM me if you need and help I'll give you my number.

MTPockets

That is a good question. I don't know maybe the off door slide is too big too much weight I am not sure.

dave
The broken teeth suggest a misalignment. I wonder if these gears are machined or formed. Formed gears, or powdered metal gears are powdered steel, not clearly identifiable when used, but you would be able to see a granular appearance at where the break is located. Nothing really wrong with powdered except machined steel gears are stronger and more durable if misalignment or heavy pounding or abuse occurs. Gears need to be properly aligned with little play and loading.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm thinking maybe the gears are mounted to far away from the track and was just catching the tips and maybe popped the off.
Not sure and it's raining outside so I'm not going to go look at mine today. LOL

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I've been thinking about this and maybe it's from the slide rails adjusted wrong. That kitchen slide goes straight in and out so maybe when it comes all the way in the slide track spline raises up to far off of the gear and is catching only on the tips and that's popping the teeth off.
Hope some of you can make sense of what I think I'm saying. LOL

MTPockets

I've been thinking about this and maybe it's from the slide rails adjusted wrong. That kitchen slide goes straight in and out so maybe when it comes all the way in the slide track spline raises up to far off of the gear and is catching only on the tips and that's popping the teeth off.
Hope some of you can make sense of what I think I'm saying. LOL

That would certainly do it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Just looking at my slide rails. I have the rear slide gear set on the kitchen slide that is off set and only catching half the gear. When I get back home I'll drop it down and see if I can alline it.
All of the others are doing fine.
Take a look at yours with the broken teeth and see if it's lined up and riding all the way down in gear.
f12cd30c6987cedee49a09b7f4e77852.jpg
13a501549e50f0da35db99b682928038.jpg
bd2a7883437def9003608188360846f7.jpg