Slide Room Toppers

taskswap

Does it have to be from Bighorn owners? :) I installed slide toppers on all 4x of my Milestone's slide and I'm really glad I did. It keeps dust, debris, and snow/rain off the top, keeping the inside cleaner over time and reducing wear and tear on the roof of the slide box. It also provides some sun shade during the summer. Our bed areas are noticeably cooler in full sun.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Larry, we have always had them and always will for all the reasons taskswap mentioned.
They can get a bit noisy in windy conditions but I guess it's like someone living near an airport. After a while they will ask what airplane.

Peace
Dave

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
the reason Im asking the owners of the Bighorn 3760EL for thats the model I have, Im a little concern about the one slide being 15' 8" long and water pooling up on it when it rains. But all comment are certainly appreciated keep them coming please. I had the Flex Armor sprayed on the roof last July and now considering the slide toppers to help protect the slide tops. Also if anybody can recommend a good shop that installs them let me Know Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Properly installed, a long slide topper should drain to one end, even if it looks slack along the center. If not, it’s simple to make a PVC pipe support to augment it so it drains. Some owners have used small beach balls to lift a sagging topper so it drains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2019 3760EL.
I didn’t have them on my 2011 3450TS Big Country, but when I ordered the Bighorn I ordered them.
I ordered the Deluxe toppers, whatever the difference is I don’t know, but have no complaints.
I have been through some very windy conditions and survived, my don’t make that much noise, maybe heavier material.
I also ordered the Awning on the living room slide, keeps the sun off that side on hot sunny days.
I would suggest you have the toppers installed.

Hockster

NYSUPstater

Ordered them along w/ the 2nd awning on our '18 3560SS. LOVE 'em!! Beats having to get up to sweep the slide tops off every time. Yes, ours do not have much of a pitch to them so water will pool on top, so best not to stand near them while being retracted cuz it will be alike a cow peeing on a flat rock! Otherwise, glad we did it. Same goes for the 2nd awning.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
I have a 2019 3760EL.
I didn’t have them on my 2011 3450TS Big Country, but when I ordered the Bighorn I ordered them.
I ordered the Deluxe toppers, whatever the difference is I don’t know, but have no complaints.
I have been through some very windy conditions and survived, my don’t make that much noise, maybe heavier material.
I also ordered the Awning on the living room slide, keeps the sun off that side on hot sunny days.
I would suggest you have the toppers installed.

Hockster
Thanks for the reply did you get the one's made by Dometic

sengli

I had them on my 3760. One thing I should mention is they were the dometic brand, installed by the dealer not the factory. On the mega slide, the topper in the middle.. started to sag to point where it was in danger of dragging on the top edge of the slide after a while, so it needed the center support to support it weight on that slide. the topper was so long, i could not support its won weight after a time.

Attachments

• IMAG0788.jpg
    IMAG0788.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 28

taskswap

Without specifically endorsing them (they're fine but there may be better products) I installed the Solera's on my four slides. My main slide is 13', not quite your length but close. I'm sitting in the camper right now and can see it from the bedroom window. We had 2" of snow here last night and the topper didn't sag at all. I did follow the manufacturer's recommendations and set the top rail 4" above the slide box so it has plenty of "angle" to drain off with.

Here's a photo of it now. As you can see most of the snow has melted now and run off just fine. I didn't take a pic while it had snow on it but it didn't sag.

PXL_20211014_163256074.jpg

If you are going to get more than 3-4" of snow a common trick is to buy a couple of small beach balls from Walmart. You can put them under there to support the topper. I usually don't bother but it's a cheap and easy hack if you're worried.

MTPockets

Had toppers on our Bighorn, it was a great investment.... I did have that nagging pooling problem, so I made a support from PVC piping. A very easy project. I inserted the PVC whenever there was rain forecast or if we were parked for a longer period of time... don't glue the PVC joints and it's easy to disassemble for travel storage.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Had toppers on our Bighorn, it was a great investment.... I did have that nagging pooling problem, so I made a support from PVC piping. A very easy project. I inserted the PVC whenever there was rain forecast or if we were parked for a longer period of time... don't glue the PVC joints and it's easy to disassemble for travel storage.
did you build your supports for draining water to the side of the box or to the front? also did it help with wind flapping noise?

danemayer

I built PVC supports for use during ski season with lots of snow. To make them easier to store, the support for each slide was built in sections. The sections were connected without glue, but I tied them together so I could pull them out even if the sections separated. To make it easy to tie, I drilled holes in the PVC and put a cotter pin through the hole (sharp side facing down. String connected the cotter pins.

Our toppers were mounted parallel to the slide roof, so rain water would only run off if I set the trailer up slightly (not enough to notice or bother the refrigerator) off-level front to rear.

The only time flapping noise was a real problem was in Oklahoma in 45-55 MPH winds. Brought the living room slides in when we went to bed.

esscobra

have 2017 3760el have the factory installed toppers - would not have trailer in texas w/o them - reduction in heat is huge- have the dometic roller support on both and no issues

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
have 2017 3760el have the factory installed toppers - would not have trailer in texas w/o them - reduction in heat is huge- have the dometic roller support on both and no issues
do your toppers have a pitch to them or do they roll out parallel to the slide roof?

david-steph2018

On our Road Warrior we have covers on both slides, bedroom & the living room. We had the covers installed by the dealer when we purchased in October 2017. Both covers do have a pitch so the water can roll of easier.

On post #11 by taskswap, the 4” drop is the key to proper drainage.
I was told by a mobile RV tech, that is the biggest problem he sees with slide toppers, especially those installed at the factory, is they are not installed at the correct angle.
My toppers, factory installed hold water, because of lack of angle to facilitate drainage.

Hockster

NYSUPstater

Like others w/ factory installed toppers, the angle for drainage has a lot to be desired. have heard about the beach ball, but how do you go about putting them in? Taking them out? Not being a rocket scientist, seems that someone would come up w/ something that can be installed on slide to help aid w/ angle to shed water.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On the 3670 we had, the dealer installed toppers at our request before we took possession. The three smaller ones were always taut and drained off the roll. The one over the larger living room slide sagged in the center enough to pool water, so I made the PVC pipe support. It was easily assembled/disassembled and I installed it from a ladder placed at the end of the slide. If it separated while removing it, I used a long handled brush to pull it out. Usually didn't need to do that, though. Only the uprights were glued together, the long cross sections were just forced into the fittings.

Attachments

• support 1.jpg
    support 1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • Main Slide Topper Support.jpg
    Main Slide Topper Support.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 23