slideout air infiltration

Bobby A

We have been in our 3580 6 days now and love it, got a question for you all. We had snow and wind a few days back and I noticed around the slideouts got alot of cold air coming in along the sides of the slideouts. I put some roll foam insulation in as a temperary fix and it sure did help. Its like the slideout is not coming all the way out to seal the air out. I never had this issue with my last 5th wheel. Does anyone have a suggestion ?? please tell me this is not normal for Big Horn. What is the permanent fix ?? Is it something the dealer can do ?? There is almost a 2 inch gap from the slideout to the wall. I ordered this unit with dual pane windows to avoid air infiltration issue, now I got the same problem only in the slideouts.

jimtoo

I can assure you it is not normal...Most likely a minor adjustment to allow the slide to extend a little more. Is it doing it on all the slides? Are you running slide motor till it sounds like it has a load on it before you stop? Don't want to overload motor, but just till it has change in sound.

That should be an easy adjustment if that is what it is.

Jim M

Bobby A

Jimtoo,
Thanks for the quick reply, yes we do run the motor till a change in sound, making sure the slide is all the way out. And yes, there is a gap in the two big slideouts along each side all the way down. Can the dealer do this adjustment ?? Thanks

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

The dealer should be able to do this adjustment. If they question on how to do it find someone else.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
BobbyA, I had 1 slide doing that. I could put my hand out to the outside. I took it to my dealer (unnamed), said they fixed it. Wrong, so I did it myself. Not hard to do, in fact pretty easy. Took me about an hour to do all 3. 2 end wrenches, a socket, and a 1/2" drive ratchet. Sounds to me that the slide vertical adjusting bolts are set too high. If they are, the top of the slide wont go out far enough. Hence, the side of the slides are not sealing to the inside walls. PM or call me and I can guide you through it. Bob:D

Bobby A

Thanks Bob,
Don't think I'll get a chance to look at it till next week, I'll call or PM you for guidence. Today will be the first week we have been in our rig, other than this air infiltration issue we haven't discovered anything else that need addressed. If this remains the case I would rather do that adjustment myself as opposed to having to take the trailer 160 mile round trip to the dealer, but if there is other things to be fixed I'll let them do it all. Thanks again Bob,
Bobby A

Bobby A

For instructions on how to adjust your slide check out this link at Lippert Components. http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=66
You dealer should know how to do this but if they need instructions Lippert can help. The air leak your feel is not a normal situation and is more than likely an adjustment issue. This should have been taken care of by your dealer BEFORE delivery.

Thanks for the web site info Jim, that will be very helpful, and yes your right, the dealer should of did this adjustment, I wish I would of caught it during PDI, after we got home a couple days later it snowed and alot of wind, thats how I noticed it.
Thanks again