Slideout Support Or Not

ffrymire

The Wilderness 2750RL has a cabled slideout with no underside rails or arms. To reduce the overhang stress, I've considered using some type of support beneath the slideout when left open for a length of time. However, I do not know if the slideout bottom will take the lifted pressure, even if I spread the lift over a wider area with a horizontal 2x4. Also, I do not know if the lifted pressure would unbalance the slide and its cable/pulley mechanism. Any thoughts? :confused::confused::confused:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Try it as see if it makes the slide more stable....properly placed jacks with enough buffer won't hurt anything. My uncle has a cable slide and it's just as stable as my geared unit. Go Broncos

Bobby A

The only thing I heard is to watch out for low tire pressure or even a flat tire, than it might do some damage or make the slideout out of adjustment.

Manzan

I Gillett last year it was recommended that you not put supports under the slide. Run the risk of torqueing it and the modern slides are made to work just fine without added support.

Greengas

I had cable slides on my last rig and they were just fine. Never needed any support. My recommendation is, don't try and fix a problem that does not exist.

ffrymire

Try it as see if it makes the slide more stable....properly placed jacks with enough buffer won't hurt anything. My uncle has a cable slide and it's just as stable as my geared unit. Go Broncos

Thanks. Last Bronco game was a heart breaker. The season does not look good, but we an always hope.

The only thing I heard is to watch out for low tire pressure or even a flat tire, than it might do some damage or make the slideout out of adjustment.

Did not even consider that. Not good!

I Gillett last year it was recommended that you not put supports under the slide. Run the risk of torqueing it and the modern slides are made to work just fine without added support.

Who or what is Gillett? Was this recommendation specific to the cable slides or slides in general? Its hard to believe that those thin cables are sufficient support, and that they will not stretch or snap over time. Color me Worry Wart.

I had cable slides on my last rig and they were just fine. Never needed any support. My recommendation is, don't try and fix a problem that does not exist.

Thanks.

Manzan

ffrymire, that should have read 'In Gillett". That was where the National Rally was last year. As Bobby A said, and I didn't, the biggest problem was the loss of air pressure in one or more tires causing the trailer to settle. The slides are not built to hold up a 5er or any other trailer. They are built to hold themselves plus whatever is put in them including people.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought a pair of slide out supports and it does make a big difference in stopping the trailer from rocking when one or more people are in the slide out.

I was advised to not put them too high as this could cause the slide out to leak back into the trailer.

I usually level the trailer before I put the slide out, then I put the supports under the slide and tighten them up snug, but not enough to raise the slide out.

CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

JohnD

If you already have your stabilizer jacks down, it shouldn't make any difference if a tire goes flat.

Mrscookie

DW of a senior member
If you already have your stabilizer jacks down, it shouldn't make any difference if a tire goes flat.
I don't think that stabilizers are meant nor built to support the weight of the coach.
They are built to stabilize, not support.
JMHO.

Peace
Da e

JohnD

I don't think that stabilizers are meant nor built to support the weight of the coach.
They are built to stabilize, not support.
JMHO.

Peace
Da e

This may be true . . . but if "a tire" goes flat, the jacks, along with the other tires, should hold the trailer.

Especially if the trailer has two or three axles.

By the way, I don't trust the built-on scissor jacks to hold anything, which is why I still use my old jack stands to stabilize along with the slide-out supports.

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpgCamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg

Matter of fact, I've been thinking of just taking the scissor jacks off as they are basically completely worthless.

Not to mention that the front ones often drag on the ground when backing over the curb while parking the trailer in our yard.