Slider hitch or Not

Restofrank

I don't want to beat a dead horse on hitches but, I would appreciate any input on 5th wheel hitch that I'm planning to use on my 2015 Ford SD short bed. I have been told by a few people that I don't need a slider hitch. I ordering a new Bighorn 3270 and I'm planning on using the factory puck system that's built into the bed of my truck bed. I really like the B&W Puck System hitch that they have RVK3300
I have read on the Heartland website that all of their 5th wheels are designed to be pulled with a short bed truck. I don't really want to buy a slider hitch unless I need to. What are your thoughts?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have never had a need for a slider in my short bed trucks . I pulled with a Chevy and now with my Ford for the past 11 years no problem. My Ford has the in bed puck system works fine.........Ken

I bought the B&W slider to use in my 2012 F350 CC short bed, just in case I needed it. Haven't needed to use it yet. Probably wouldn't buy it again. It is more expensive and weighs more. I can't remove it by myself. B&W is a great hitch though.

GregP

I tow a Bighorn 3010RE behind our RAM short bed pickup. I do not have the slider hitch, and do not need it for MOST turning situations. The Bighorn design lets it turn 88 degrees and this is good for most situations. However...it is easy enough to turn past 90 degrees if you are not watching too closely, and this angle can also be affected by backing up a short hill while turning. Don't ask how I know this. It is an expensive lesson. Even if I had a slider hitch, I might have got caught unless I had some sort of auto-slider. Now I watch REALLY closely!

Oregon_Camper

We installed the Reese Airborne Sidewinder and I love it!!

This moves the pivot point back about 2 feet and you never have to get out of your truck to engage anything. Plus you recover a LOT of space in the bed of your truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U

I love it so much, I kept it when we moved to a LB truck. I can load the entire bed of the truck with stuff as the pivot point is now above the bed rails.

...did I mention I love this setup? :)

yport

Hauled a 38'er around the country on my 2009 Ford shortbed. Bought the slider hitch under recommendations. In 5 years of use I only needed the slider twice, both times getting into my sister's street in NY !! Otherwise, if I needed to, I simply pulled forward and back once or twice .... afterall, I don't need to swing in first try every time :) Currently have a 2016 Ford shortbed and a 2014 39' Big Horn. Been east coast to west coast and Canada ... never needed the slide, especially with the Big Horn's 88 degree turn ratio that I didn't have on the first rig.

If I had to purchase a hitch again, it would NOT be a slide.

Mrsfish

Before we got our dually we had a 2013 f350 short bed (btw- they are really called standard beds)..never had the need for a slider EVER.

brianlajoie

I use a PullRite SuperGlide hitch. Not only do I like auto sliding, I also like the flange nut that stops chucking and the pivot point that allows the trailer to be at a little different side angle than the truck.

padre44

I was told I didn't need one due to t he "tight turn technology" of the BigHorn. Then recently I noticed dents on each side of the cab from where the trailer hit the truck. The dealer is mystified - said that shouldn't happen while going forward and I must have jack knifed. I don't remember ever turning that sharp going either direction. If I had to do it again, I'd get a slider. Damage done now but I'll have to keep careful watch so I don't break out the rear window.

Restofrank

I was told I didn't need one due to t he "tight turn technology" of the BigHorn. Then recently I noticed dents on each side of the cab from where the trailer hit the truck. The dealer is mystified - said that shouldn't happen while going forward and I must have jack knifed. I don't remember ever turning that sharp going either direction. If I had to do it again, I'd get a slider. Damage done now but I'll have to keep careful watch so I don't break out the rear window.

Wow! That's not good. I read somewhere that Ford SD short beds are longer than Chevy and Dodges, and I shouldn't have a clearance problem with a Ford short bed I believe that Fords are 6.5 ft and others are 6ft.

Greengas

Until I purchased my Long Bed I always used Pullrite Autoslide hitches. They slid every time I backed up or turned. Never had to get out of the cab. Yes, they are heavy and take up more room but... As for those who had sliders but never needed them, I'm very happy for you. For me, I considered it like insurance. You pay for it and hope you never need it. I would never pull a short bed without one. But I see that I am in the minority opinion here. :eek:

brianlajoie

It is unfortunate that you have cab damage. I found it very interesting that when I was looking for our trailer, I got the same advice. I learned an important lesson that I too shouldn't need a slider hitch, but when a sales person showed me his truck, I saw damage on both sides of the cab. I learned to never take advice from a sales person when they are trying to sell you something at face value. Always verify that advice from an unrelated 3rd party or two or three before considering it. I have run into too many sales associates that would say anything to get you to buy their product.

CoveredWagon

Wow! That's not good. I read somewhere that Ford SD short beds are longer than Chevy and Dodges, and I shouldn't have a clearance problem with a Ford short bed I believe that Fords are 6.5 ft and others are 6ft.
It depends on whether you have a CREW cab or a DOUBLE cab as Chevy calls them. Double cab is has a std or 6.5 foot box.

rjr6150

Until I purchased my Long Bed I always used Pullrite Autoslide hitches. They slid every time I backed up or turned. Never had to get out of the cab. Yes, they are heavy and take up more room but... As for those who had sliders but never needed them, I'm very happy for you. For me, I considered it like insurance. You pay for it and hope you never need it. I would never pull a short bed without one. But I see that I am in the minority opinion here. :eek:

X2 Ron us either.

rhodies1

Chev short box is 6 foot 5 inches. Owned one.
Ford short box is 6 foot 10 inches. Currently own one.
Cant comment on Dodge,wouldn't own one.

danemayer

The box length might be an approximation. I'd think the distance from back of cab to center of the axle would be more telling.

SNOKING

RAM's short bed is 6'4". Own one with a B&W RVK3270 manual slider. Slide it back at checkin area and forward after straightening out on the street. Release handle will not swing far enough to unlatch with it in the forward position to unlatch, so always sliding has become part of the routine. Really lessons the chance of cab contact. Chris

I have a camera in the front grill and a switch and camera to see hitching.

IronJ

Had a dodge dually megacab....

Backing on an incline and poof...back window gone and cab bent...

Bought a pullrite and never worried again....

Im in a long bed dually now with no slider, but another member here is taking advantage of my pullrite in his dodge😎..

Ive pulled my trailer with my shortbed f250....

It clears pretty well, but could still easily hit on a sharp turn, or an incline....if it was my primary tow truck it would have a slider no doubt....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a Reese 16K Pro Slider in my 2015 Chevy 2500HD double cab.

Haven't needed the slider . . . yet.

But I know it is there come the day that I do need it.

TruckRubberMat-P1010995.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

It is heavy, though . . . I can't pick it up by myself