Slider Hitch

rjr6150

We take delivery of our new horn this coming Saturday and for piece of mind went with the Pullrite Superglide don't know if we'll ever need it but it's there

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have a Husky manual slider and used it all the time with my Coachmen, that I used to pull. Have never had the occasion to use the slider function since I have gotten the Bighorn, and I have backed into some hairy places. lol I am not sure if I would spend all the big bucks for the electric super duper self sliding models, for as seldom as you would need to use it, if ever. Seems like a lot of extra money to spend just so you don't have to get out and flip the lever, on that odd occasion when you might have to. Even when I was using it all the time with my Coachmen, I didn't find that it was such a hassle, that I needed to spend twice the money just for a bit of convenience.
JMHO
Fred

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My situation is the same as VANGOES. I need it to park coach in the backyard. I can turn around in our cul-de-sac to back in. Coach does not even come close to the TV. Your choice as to what you buy. Bob:D:D:eek:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Truthfully, the small amount of grease used is well worth the wonderful effectiveness of the Pullrite super glider which I need as it works automatically forward and backward for 14". It is not messy and comes in a spray. Since I have a tonneau cover I am cool, but if I didn't I would get a hitch cover. Go to pullrite.com for a video show well worth watching if you are considering this hitch.

randes

I have a 2008 F350 Crew Cab with a short bed. My Bighorn now has over 18,000 miles on it and I have never felt the need for a slider hitch. I backed it around one time just to see how far it would go. Looked like about 85 degrees. If you want to spend extra money on a hitch, look into an air hitch. No bucking, Chucking or anything else. The kinpin just rides softly on a cushion of air. You'll never go back to an ordinary hitch after you try one. :)

Mariposa

hitch

Have the Hensley Air, slider. Short bed and have yet to use the slider. Royl, have you hand any trouble with the Hensley?
Bob

randes

When we first installed it, I had a little trouble getting the air hose to the cab to seal in the "T" valve from the hitch compressor. Ended up retrimming the hose and after that - no more problems. At present, we have about 18,000 miles on the hitch and love it! I try to grease the Zerts about every 4000 miles.

How about you?

Larryheadhunter

Since the super slider glider from pullrite is automatic, and moves forward and backwards how would I know when its being utilized. All I can tell you is its great for u turns and backing out of tight spaces. I am a rookie and today I just backed into a parking space at the tow yard I keep my rig stowed away for the first time I must say proudly. The cab came mighty close to my back window for sure. For peace of mind that extra 14" of stretch for that one time you use it could be better than having it in your pants.LOL

jpmorgan37

Way to go Larry; And you are no longer a Rookie. When you can back it in to a parking space, you have left the ranks of being a rookie.

John

Larryheadhunter

Thanks John that means alot to me coming from you. This weekend with my newfound confidence I will try to back into an actual campsite in Chula Vista Marina RV park, as I am having installed the new Motosat HD satellite dish that Jim Beletti recommended. I got back my rig yesterday from the repair shop, so I am ready for the next step. People don't understand how difficult adjusting to this awesome lifestyle has been. I am not used to being under an RV adjusting brackets and pins. Shoot, I don't even know what the tool I used is actually called but it worked.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Hhhooooooooorrrrrah

Larry, we all knew you could do it. The fact that you did it by yourself is a big step. I am really glad for you. So now no more "crash" label for you.:cool: Just like everybody has told you, baby steps and you will get it down pat. Keep at it and it will all come together, even finding the right tool for the job... XXXOOO Bob:D

jpmorgan37

Larry;

I've been using whatchamacallits and thingamajigs for years. Been trying to find a whatzit, but none of the stores carry them any more. Dikes are dikes, I don't care who makes them and the same goes for a crescent wrench. Don't sweat what it's called as long as it does the job.

John

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Motosat HD Satellite dish? Elaborate please. Is there a thread on this? And could somebody post it please.
Fred

jpmorgan37

Bob;

:mad::mad::mad: Ok, so I'm not politically correct. They are still dikes. :D:D:D It takes way too much effort to say diagonal cutting pliers and I never did call them side cutters cause that's some kind of a switch blade knife.

J. P.

Searching

Thanks for all the replies. We already have a PullRite SuperGlide (automatic slider hitch) and wondered if we could still use it successfully with a Big Horn if we end up buying one.

We've had the hitch and our SOB for five years now and it's been well worth it for us. We were rookies to say the least and it's a 45 degree back in turn to get into our driveway a very tight fit to boot. When we got the hitch, even though it was a bundle of money more than a standard hitch, we figured it was worth the investment. If we were to have a kiss the cab/window situation, the deductible on the TV and the Fiver would be the equal the extra it cost for the PullRite SuperGlide. It has made traveling a no brainer for us.

PullRite has shown us super service and if you can get near the factory in the Goshen/Elkhart area they will inspect and service your hitch every year for free. They completely re-worked our hitch last year to current specs and it did not cost us a dime. They also gave us a can of Slip Plate which is a dry lubricant. We purchased an extra can at the time too.

We do cover our hitch when we aren't towing. I made a cover out of heavy grade marine vinyl and it works great and is easy to store when we are towing.

Last edited:

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Searching, good to hear from another Michigander. You've already got one of the finest hitches made - by all means, keep it. That's exactly what I have.

One word of caution, though. Make sure that your Heartland dealer installs the capture plate with the bolts provided. Mine took the easy way out and welded it. Now, the pinbox is useless, except for another Pullrite owner. This is especially important if you decide to change the pin box to another supplier, like Trail Air - you have to order another capture plate from Pullrite (as I had to do, and guess what?) - LSI (the company that Heartland used in 2006) welded that one on as well. Yes, it is a lot harder to install the capture plate on with the bolts, but insist on it.

Searching

We also have a MorRyde hitch pin, but I assume it's not transferrable to the Big Horn so we'll most likely have to purchase one of those again. Our dealer too on the original hitch welded the capture plate. Since we replaced with the MorRyde we'll most like put the other one back on. We'd love to have the trail air but I believe with the PullRite Super Glide you can only have the MorRyde as an option.

Great to see a fellow Michigander too. Thanx so much for your reply.

Take care Chuck!