Sliding doors in the basement

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
All, we've just completed a mod to remove the basement wall and add sliding doors instead.

Why, you ask?

Our ElkRidge has to be winterized by accessing the pump and bypass valves behind this wall (Pic 3). We often RV in the winter, so we are winterizing and de-winterizing a number of times November-February. We wanted easier access. We also have a light bulb with an 8" reflector on it in this "behind the wall" area, to keep pipes from freezing... this area is not heated by the underbelly heating.

We used u-channel aluminum to create the tracks.

A few pics:
Photo Nov 09, 2 34 51 PM.jpg
new doors

Photo Nov 09, 2 34 58 PM.jpg
one door open
Photo Nov 09, 2 34 03 PM.jpg
other door open

Look for a full write-up hopefully in the next Heartland Highlights in January.

jimtoo

Looks really good... Thanks for the pictures. But,, is that saw dust on the floor??? ♥♥♥:) :) ♥♥♥

Jim M

PS: If I come park in your yard will you do all the mods to mine?? :)

TravelTiger

Jim, the fuzzy-carpety stuff that is on the walls in most folks' basements? The ElkRidge has that on the basement floor, too. (No fancy rubber diamond-plate.) So it catches all sorts of stuff, like grass and sawdust, etc.

I'll use photoshop to remove the debris for the article. ;)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nice work! Maybe HL should consider modifying all the basement walls to provide easier access behind them.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
That's a great idea!
I wish that could be done to our Cyclone :mad:! The access panel sits at an angle with 2 screws securing at one end and it pivots on staples at the end by the UDC.

4ever

Looks great you did a good job. I also modified the walls to gain easy access. Sure come in handy when you want to check or fix something.

Ted

Kbvols

Looks great very well done. You are right about fuzzy carpet that stuff is like Velcro.

ILH

Nicely done! I would love to put something in my rig for easiest access too.

One question though - does using a light bulb in a hidden area for heat have any risks either for fire (touching something flammable) or the bulb burning out (and not knowing it) during critical cold periods? I know that lots of people do it but I've always wondered.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That's a great idea!
I wish that could be done to our Cyclone :mad:! The access panel sits at an angle with 2 screws securing at one end and it pivots on staples at the end by the UDC.

Perhaps you could modify yours the way i did, by installing a removeable access panel in the walls. Unless I need to crawl back there, there isn't much reason to open the wall fully. But I can access the UDC fittings, water heater fittings and inspect for leaks, as well as the converter and surge suppressor on the door side of the basement. Since this photo, I've changed the retainer "strips" to barrel bolts.

View attachment 27420View attachment 27421

olcoon

Looks like maybe you moved the whole bulkhead about 6" or so forward? On our Elk Ridge there is a heat duct coming down from the ceiling of the basement, & goes through the bulkhead & behind it. In photo #3, I can see the same heat duct, & it looks like there is carpet behind the bulkhead. I'm wondering, by the looks of things you sacrificed some room in the basement to have the sliding doors, which BTW look great, & it'll be a lot easier to access behind the bulkhead, at least this way you don't have to empty the basement to winterize/dewinterize.

TravelTiger

Looks like maybe you moved the whole bulkhead about 6" or so forward? On our Elk Ridge there is a heat duct coming down from the ceiling of the basement, & goes through the bulkhead & behind it. In photo #3, I can see the same heat duct, & it looks like there is carpet behind the bulkhead. I'm wondering, by the looks of things you sacrificed some room in the basement to have the sliding doors, which BTW look great, & it'll be a lot easier to access behind the bulkhead, at least this way you don't have to empty the basement to winterize/dewinterize.

Roy, no this wall in the same location as the original. Probably a difference in floorplan... Our duct was always behind the wall. (We took the all the extra slack out of the flexible duct a few years ago--about 2-feet of extra between the floor and ceiling connections--now works better!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Nicely done! I would love to put something in my rig for easiest access too.

One question though - does using a light bulb in a hidden area for heat have any risks either for fire (touching something flammable) or the bulb burning out (and not knowing it) during critical cold periods? I know that lots of people do it but I've always wondered.

The clamp light can shift/fall (had that happen last year). We mounted it securely with an L shaped bracket to the "ceiling", so it is positioned directly above the pump and cannot move.

3u4ysu5u.jpg

Better pic, showing the light.

I can see the light while inside the coach... We can actually see the pump from within the coach by loosening the fake back of a cabinet in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sumo

I have also modified my basement door for easier winterizing. But it's not much easier, still hard to see all the knobs that need to be turned. I REALLY like the sliding door. I see a new mod in my future. Thank for sharing.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
JohnDar,
Thanks for sharing the pictures of your mod!
That may be just what I need to do.

mobilcastle

TraveTiger,
Super idea and very nice job. I took my access panel near the UDC and cut it in half so I can look back there often to see any water leakage or problems. You guys are just fancier than me. I really do like the sliding door idea-very quick access.