Slow leak behind UDC - broke off fitting - now what????

8amps

Water leak behind UDC.JPG
Hi Brilliant Minds at HOC,
We had a slow leak behind the UDC in the warm water line. Tried to remove the plastic elbow and it broke off. Have tried sprinkler extraction tool, tried heating with a blow dryer, still can't get it out. So meanwhile we have no water.
1. Does anyone know if this is a threaded connection?
2. Any ideas how to get it out so we can replace it.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Mary

danemayer

Hi Mary,

That looks like it might be the water heater bypass valve.

You might try a hacksaw blade to cut through the plastic. Just be careful not to damage the metal threads.

8amps

Thanks Dan,
Hard to fit the hacksaw in there. There is 18, 24 or 32 TPI. Does it matter which one?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since this is the hot water bypass valve, can we turn it to bypass and reconnect the water?

GregP

I don't know if there is thread sealant on the fitting, but if there is room to access the fitting, you might be able to jam the business end of a pair of needle nosed pliers inside the fitting and try to turn it out while holding the pliers open. It worked for me once when I broke a plastic fitting on a water pump.

danemayer

Thanks Dan,
Hard to fit the hacksaw in there. There is 18, 24 or 32 TPI. Does it matter which one?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since this is the hot water bypass valve, can we turn it to bypass and reconnect the water?
Re the hacksaw blade, I don't know that the TPI matters. Just need something that fits well enough to saw through the plastic. A keyhole saw blade might also work.

If the broken fitting is the one that goes to the water heater cold input, then operating the bypass lever should route water around the broken fitting and around the water heater. That would give you cold water through the coach.

bdb2047

You can take valve off wall by removing handle and 2 screws will allow to get at easier but someone will need to hold it while cutting old fitting. Any of the hacksaw blades would work the 32TPI would less aggressive. If you nick threads use plumbers tape on new fitting should be OK.At least your valve is metal.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Mary, I had the same experience. I had to use a heat gun because the hair dryer wasn't hot enough. You really have to be careful using it inside the trailer--it gets HOT. I heated it quite a bit and used the sprinkler tool and it came out. They use the most obnoxious pipe dope from the factory. It seemed that I had to heat it enough to break down the dope. I replaced it with a sprinkler barb fitting and used teflon tape.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can try an easyout. just tap it in and turn, just hold the valve tight so you don't brake something else
broken10.jpg
easy out extractors

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Are you guys anywhere near Denver right now?

If so, I'll bring my toolbox . . .

Our house is plumbed with the plastic plumbing, so I've become an expert at fixing it!

8amps

Phil got it out by hacksawing it and picking it out. Didn't seem to have any pipe dope on it. (That sounds like a loaded statement, though it's totally innocent)
Changed it to a brass fitting with teflon tape. Seemed like it was still dripping. Then it started pouring rain. Checked it a little while ago and there wasn't any water that I could tell in plate I put under it. We'll see how it looks tomorrow.

We are in Southern California John. Thanks for the offer though!

Gary521

There is a tool for removing these plastic fitting in the sprinkler section at Home Depot.