Small Freezers

I don't know if this is the right place for my question but has anyone used the washer/dryer space in the closet
for a small freezer? I have read a lot about the noise and inconvience of having the washer/dryer in the bedroom and thought a small freezer would be better. Any ideas or thoughts?

DocFather

The washer/dryer in the bedroom is no noisier than most guys' on here snoring! LOL But a freezer would make a little noise randomly 24 hrs a day.

Gizzy

We have a 5CF freezer that is in the dining rm slide. (We are pin heavy so did not need the extra weight in the front of the coach) Have to say that we have never heard any noise coming from it. I can't imagine it being too noisy to bother you sleeping.

Rodbuster

What powers the freezer while you are driving down the road for 5 or 6 hours? Does it run on propane or off your battery?

Dick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
!20V powers them. We have a 3.3 CF fridge/freezer and it works great. It stays cold for hours as long as you don't open the doors. We got ours at Lowes, but most big box stores have them. Its short enough that you can still hang shirts and jackets over it.

I dont know where your W/D closet is, but if the back side is an outside wall. I would find a way to secure the fridge/freezer from front to back. We used the same straps and hold downs as used on the dinner table.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We don't but have several friend who have put the small chest freezer in the w/d area. When they travel of course it isn't on/powered since it uses the 110 outlet but they keep freezer packs inside to help keep things cold. One even freezes 2 liter bottles and keep inside the box. They haven't had any thawing of the food problems.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Freezer might be nice, but I would NEVER give up my washer and dryer....don't find the noise to be an issue and not sure what "inconvenience" others speak of?? For me it would be inconvenient to go to a laundromat!!

I'm going to check out Lowe's, that sounds like its just what we want. I always freeze water bottles and keep them on hand. As it melts, we have water without the extra blue freezer containers bouncing around that we don't know what to do with.

gebills

We've inquired with both Lowes and Home Depot about smallcompact freezers, and they look at me like I’m talking Greek; or in otherwords, there telling me “if we don’t have it, you don’t need it.” Think I first heard that phrase from an old Armenianhardware store salesman. I’ve alsochecked with several appliance stores, and seems like they would rather sellyou something unrealistic. Google so faris my best resource, seeing listings of several different brands that I’m very unfamiliarwith.

I’ve watched and researched the forums on this subject andhave yet to hear someone say they really like what brand and location they haveutilized for a freezer. We are a littlemore reliant on freezer space because of the foods we eat, and the resource wehave for frozen seafood; plus, we’ve just sold our home without wheels, andwill be fulltiming for 6 to 18 months so the big freezers are gone. I’ve even considered going to the Bighorn basementwith a front-swing door freezer. Thebasement space is pretty valuable, but am considering going thisdirection. I don’t see a problem of towingdown the road unplugged for 5 or 6 hours. I think that without opening the door during that short of time, aperson should have no thawing issues. Looking for brand name recommendations on freezers of a brand you mayhave used for two-plus years without mechanical issues; and, the utilization ofthe basement for a freezer. The W/Dcompartment doesn’t work for us as we have the Splendide W/D in there. Thanx, gebills

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
If you have a freezer in the w/d area, is it vented??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gizzy

A couple of years ago I bought a small, 2 door compact fridge from Lowes. When I got home and took it out of the box I read the owners manual. It stated DO NOT USE WITH INVERTER. I don't know why, but I returned it. Be sure to read owners manual close before purchasing. We now have a 5CF freezer and have not had any problems with it staying cold while we traveled. We just do not open it until it is plugged in.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We also have a 3 cu.ft. freezer. We used to have it in the closet where the combo unit was to go but moved it down to the LR area. Lin has a plastic drawer set in the w/d area for crafts and stuff. We shut the freezer off until we arrive at a new site and are plugged in. We had one fail a few years ago. We thought due to our using a surge protector and the test function shuts power down for a few seconds then it's re-energized. Like an A/C unit, you're not supposed to turn it back on right away if you lose power or shut it down. Maybe a 5 minute delay before restart?
We have no problems with the freezer keeping thing frozen during a 6 to 8 hour travel day.