Smart Tiles.... HELP!!!

Ks.Kev

I have a NorthTrail FBS22 and removed the decal/contact paper that was the back-splash that had a zillion bubbles under it!
No problem. Then clean the adhesive residue (which was very little) using alcohol.
Then purchased the "Smart Tiles" as like some other people did on this forum and installed.
Now the problem.... the darn things are now becoming unstuck!!! Curling down and just plain coming off!!!!
I thought it might be the surface was not cleaned or prepped enough, but where they interlock/overlap
each other like it says to do per instructions is even coming unstuck! So I know it cant be how the wall is cleaned or prepped!
I was careful in NOT touching the backs of the tiles where the adhesive is per instructions.
Anybody else have this problem with their "Smart Tiles"? Got them from Home Depot like everyone else!
I don't know, maybe I got a hold of a bad batch? At a loss here...... looked for the receipt, cant find it (sigh) so I can call
Home Depot to see what I can do. Without the a receipt, I think I'm stuck with theses!
Any suggestions???
Thanks in advance!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I have not heard of this problem from anyone yet. Used them myself and all is still sticking good. Now knowing it is HD trying taking them back and just explaining exactly what happened. HD is usually very good about things like this. I did buy mine at Lowes and if HD exchanges yours try Lowes for the next purchase.

VMooreSR

Ours are doing the same thing, I think our problem is the heat build up while in storage, because there are no problems when we are using the rig with the AC's running. Thinking about trying 3M 77 adhesive spray before I peel them back off and trash them.

danemayer

looked for the receipt, cant find it (sigh) so I can call
Home Depot to see what I can do. Without the a receipt, I think I'm stuck with theses!

My experience with Home Depot is that if you're missing the receipt, they will give you store credit instead of a refund.

Ks.Kev

Thanks all, will try the suggestions......
I too thought about maybe using a double sided tape before trashing it all if I don't get any results from manufacturer or HD!

Snow

Please let's us know the outcome,I went to lowes yurt this past weekend to check them out .i was surprised at the cost didn't know they were 40 $ a box ? . I then went to HD and theirs were about 32$ but they had to order them don't keep them in the store .so iam waiting I caint find them anywhere much cheaper then 32 $ a box ,how much is everyone else paying? ,but definitely don't want to install them if they are going to come loose ! Thanks ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Had the same issue with HD...they dont stock them. I wont buy what I cant see. I used regular 1" tiles. Installed them with contruction adhesive. Trust me, they are there to stay. I think the plywood walls hold moisture and the sticky side wont hold to the "wall paper" covering. I bet I did not spend $20 for the whole mess.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have not had any issues with the ones we put up. We did order directly from company though if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miltp920

20150509_141533.jpg20150509_160131.jpg
I used this Simple Mat product from HD to put up glass/slate tile. It is sticky on one side to go on the wall, and has glue spots that grab the tile on the tile side. We have only camped twice since I installed them on Mother's day, but so far they are sticking to the wall. I think they would work for the simple tile if needed.

bdb2047

We used this.Has been up about 4 years with no problem.

View attachment 37268View attachment 37269
I used this Simple Mat product from HD to put up glass/slate tile. It is sticky on one side to go on the wall, and has glue spots that grab the tile on the tile side. We have only camped twice since I installed them on Mother's day, but so far they are sticking to the wall. I think they would work for the simple tile if needed.

wdk450

I have a niece who has worked for many years for Home Depot. She tells stories of the Home Depot policy of ridiculous customer accommodation in returns. Cut pieces of wood, worn and dirty clothing, cement caked wheelbarrows, etc. Many cases of probable fraud just accepted to "please" the "customer".

MCTalley

How many come in a box for $32-$40?

Six tiles.

We balked at the cost initially, until I realized that the glass tiles we liked were around $9 a square (requiring roughly the same number of squares), in addition to the wall adhesive sheets mentioned earlier in this thread, grout and since they were staggered on the ends, some method of having the ends cut (I imagined running to the store several times and having them cut them for me).

With that said, we've had our Smart Tiles up for a few weeks so far with no issues. Will keep an eye on them. If they decide to start peeling off, I might use the spray adhesive route. Otherwise, I may just press them to the wall every once in a while to make sure they retain their "stick".