Smoke when using Propane Hot Water

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
The other day my wife switched on the gas for the hot water heater due to low voltage problems at the park preventing us from using electric. Later that day we saw the attached picture. I have not turned it back on again to see if it happens again (will probably try that this weekend). But wanted to query the forum before trying that to get opinions. Nothing appears melted or damaged. It is just some smoke. My current theory is some debris (leaf, etc) got into the output and burned up and this is nothing to worry about.

Attachments

• 0826141143.jpg
    0826141143.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 64

wdk450

If you haven't used the HWH on propane before, there can be oil coatings on metal parts and maybe construction debris in it. My furnace smelled of smoke outside during the PDI inspection, but then quit after 1/2 hour. Also, it could be spider webs or debris clogging the air channels to the burner, causing a rich (high fuel/air ratio) flame. Blowing the HWH out with compressed air per the owners manual would be a good preventative step in your case.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another thing to watch when using the WH on propane is to wait several minutes if it fails to light with the switch off. If you quickly turn it on again, you will hear a cannon shot. Even though it may not have lit, the burner will be full of propane and it will go boom if it gets a spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bohemian

It could possibly just need a good cleaning. Insects could have built a nest. It could be out of adjustment for some reason. Is the flame burning clean?

GOTTOYS

That's an indication that the flame is burning too rich. Most likely cause is a spider nest in the venturi tube which lets air/gas into the burner. For some reason spiders are attracted to the gas smell. Clean it out with a good vacuum cleaner and maybe a pipe cleaner or two to loosen it all up. This is a very common problem...Don