so impressed with new gateway!!!

danemayer

I just make sure I have my rubber gloves on when I first open the cap.
Hi Kernst,

If you add a twist-on gate valve at the sewer outlet, you won't ever be surprised. Open the valve after attaching the sewer hose.

Btw, if you're only getting a little fluid, sometimes a bit will stay in the drain pipe and shift when you go down the road. So it's not always a leak. But in either case the twist-on gate valve will keep you clean.

GrumpyOneandTwo

Hey Marcus,

I just got back from the dealer dropping off my Gateway. Unfortunately they don't have the equipment to align the Correct Track System. I'll have to call Heartland tomorrow to see if anyone in LA (lower Alabama) can do the job. I don't know if it needs it or not but since the Correct Track is on my unit I might as well have them align it. I asked them to look at my slides also. I don't like the bouncing and jerking it takes to open and close. My Gray #1 tank has a leak at the gate valve. The rest of my list was mainly trim falling off issues. Not a bad list after 6 months.We stayed at Fort Wilderness at Disney for three weeks and was as comfortable as our stick & brick home!!!!

Take care,

Mike

UPDATE

I called Heartland about the Correct track system. They sent me a list of Lippert authorized alignment centers. Camping World is the only place near me. I meant to call today for a price, but alas, I forgot.

The dealer called today and said the reason the slide bounces and jumps is a seal is worn out. Not covered under warranty but they quoted me
price of 137 plus tax. Small price if the slide will operate correctly!!!!

Last edited:

1_oldgoat

Mike and Dan, thanks for the info, its much appreciated, my black tank valve is leaking slowly and no solids, i have my sewer line hooked up to a portable tank and its needed to be emptied twice in 3 weeks, i did change the sewer cap to one that has an extra fitting for a garden hose to hook up so i can drain grey tanks into the side pasture, that works fine. I have a feeling with the black tank loosing water i am going to have a tough job getting the solids out so the valve can be replaced. We plan on stoping at our favorite rv park in umatilla oregon on the way home and i will be able to clean the tank hooked up to sewer at least.
We will be in Spokane a few more weeks, i have had to make two trips to the laundry mat, not fun so am thinking about a washer dryer combo install next along with center sissor jacks to help stop what little movement there is, we survived some 60 mph wind gusts last week and i have noticed a little more movement than we had before, not much but would like none.
Mike i wouldn't worry about alignment of correct track unless something feels amiss while towing or if tires start wearing oddly. The axles on the gateway are superior to most other rv's and looking at the way they are installed, its a bit overbuilt, which is nice to see. Unless you have been towing on extremely rough roads i don't think they can shift without hitting something serious.
My list of repairs is really nothing major, as you stated a few pieces of trim inside and one out. My offdoor slide has not been right from the day i picked it up, it dosn't close tightly all the way around but dosn't leak either, and i noticed when opened the back corner is not even with the floor so must not be opening all the way either, it to makes quite a racket when opening and closing but always has compared to the other two slides so i think its a bit cockeyed side to side. I do wish they were hydraulic instead of rack and pinion but i know that would raise the cost quite a bit.
Any suggestions on washer dryer combo would be appreciated, are they worth having or.not?? How big a load will one average sized do, i have no idea so started some research but there are to many choices out there to look at them all on my phone.
Thanks to everyone again for reading my adventures with our new Gateway, we are still happy with our decision to buy this unit, zero buyers remorse, more the opposite, what an amazing rv.
Thank you Heartland for making an affordable luxury fifth wheel for people like us who do not have alot of disposable income. I see this rv lasting us a long time, our past units averaged 3-4 yrs before wearing out.

GrumpyOneandTwo

Hey Marcus,

I found out not all Camping Worlds can do the laser alignment. I have one about 90 miles from here. They charge $100.00 for it. I have a trip planned the last of April that will take me right past there. If I see any tire wear or notice any towing issues I'll make an appointment. If not I'll let it be.

Update on my slide issue: e-mailed Lippert to see if they might have a clue why the seal would need replacing after only 6 months. They emailed me that they need pictures and more info. I emailed a lot of info from day 1 till now and said they could get pictures from the dealer or Heartland. (I had e-mailed pictures to Heartland last Aug. But like you I could not find a leak so I didn't take it back at that time).

I haven't heard back from anyone though. I've called the dealer service department 3 times in the last 45 minutes but can only get voice mail.

Did you find a W/D for your rig? How about the propane valve? Get it acting right?

Take care. If I get any info that might help your slide issue, I'll let you know.

Mike

1_oldgoat

Hey Mike, thanks for the information. My offdoor slide has made more noise than the other two since day one, almost like the motor gear and rack are not aligned, and since the slide does not close tightly all the way around i believe it needs adjusted. The floor dosn't sit level on the slide either when open like the door side slide does. You may have the same issue, can't believe a seal would be worn out in six months either unless some serious cleaner solution ate it up!
No on propane regulator, we are still in spokane so just switching tanks to front side of trailer with valve.pointed to front, really odd with it pointed to the rear tank i have no pressure or not enough to use stove burners all at once.
I need to get home and the rv into the dealership, i plan on calling in the morning with a list of repairs so they can order parts if needed. I think you are making the right call on waiting on alignment, i don't know how the axles can shift without some serious road hazzards.
Let me know how things work out.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Kurt, i lost my last reply somehow so thought i had better reply. We are still in spokane and will be for a few more weeks, once we get home i will get the rv into the dealership for a few repairs and we will be road ready this spring.
Since i put the fuse in my panel in #13, i know my tank heaters are working but i have only used them.once after the rv sat with no heat and was winterized. When we were in Umatilla oregon over thanksgiving we had single digit weather a few nights and i froze up once, my fault for leaving the access open for water hose and cable. I was told by my dealer salesman we are safe from freezing down to minus 6, so extremely cold before needing the tank heaters, and i am worried about tank damage if left on to long, i turned mine on for 20 minutes when i was de winterizing and it was long enough for the pump to thaw out, i leave tanks closed during days and nights and open in the morning after showering and so far so good, no problems with frozen tanks, knock on wood!! I had someone else tell me thier gateway needed two fuses in #13 and #14, so i guess different models have different systems.
I will have my dealer repair/replace my black tank valve, i plan on stopping in oregon and staying at our favorite rv park in umatilla again and flushing the tank while we have hookups, to much work hauling portable tank to dump station.
We have a few other things that need addressed but nothing that has stopped us from enjoying our rv.
Forgot to mention if you look on heartlands website and.check r values for insulation you will see where the gateway shines compared to higher end models makes, the landmark is the only rv with a higher floor insulation r value. Amazing and impressive considering they are 3 times the cost.
Let me know how repairs go. I don't think the dealership we bought ours from will be a problem, the service dept had some excellent reviews as does heartland so not expecting any problems.
Thanks for the info and let me know how things go.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Dan, thanks for the info, i started having issues with the regulator a few eeeks ago, i have only been using one tank on at a time until it gets low and then turning the opposite tank open. I noticed with the tank valve on the rear and the front tank open the front tank would empty before the rear also only one stove burner can be used when switched to the rear with the front tank closed. The oven seems to not heat as well either. We had been averaging 3-4 days per tank of propane but started getting 5-7 out of rear and still 3-4 when switched to front so have just been rotating empty for full to the front. Not a big deal, the gauge for how full a tank is works on a full tank but shows half when in reality a tank is empty, again not a big deal as i check them daily anyway. We are using a 50 to 15 amp adapter here at mother in laws home so using propane for fridge, water heater, thats the reason for loss of or more use of propane. We really haven't had any problems to cause major concern other than a black tank valve not sealing completly. Loosing water only no solids, noticed blue from deodorizer packets so leave sewer hose hooked up to portable tank.i have flushed he black tank a few times to where clean clear water comes out only but still can not get the valve to close. Nothing the dealer can not repair/replace.
Thanks again for the info and i will look for any oil contamination but don't know how or where i could have gotton oil in line from
Marcus

danemayer

I was told by my dealer salesman we are safe from freezing down to minus 6, so extremely cold before needing the tank heaters
Hi 1_OldGoat,

Since your home is shown as Idaho, I'm assuming minus 6 is Fahrenheit.

You should know that no vendor or manufacturer warranty covers freeze damage.

As to what the salesman told you, you might ask him how he knows that. If you want to follow his advice, I'd recommend you get a commitment from the dealer's general manager that they will repair any freeze damage that happens with tank heaters off, at dealership expense, down to minus 6. My guess is you won't get a commitment.

As long as you keep a little water in the tanks, the tank heaters should be fine running continuously. Same with the heat tape on the water line. As long as there's water in it, it should be fine.

danemayer

Thanks again for the info and i will look for any oil contamination but don't know how or where i could have gotton oil in line from
The oil is in the propane. As near as I can tell, some suppliers have more, some less. I think some pigtails have overflow protection devices combined with small orifices. My theory is that excess oil gums up the overflow mechanism inside the pigtail.

1_oldgoat

Mike, i found a link on the forum.on washer dryer units and am not sure if its worth the investment or loss of closet space. Most of the parks we stay at have laundry facilities, its not really that difficult to take a few hours to do laundry, just thought it would be nice to not have to leave the rv! I know sounds lazy!! I was thinking about your slide and can not believe a seal has gone bad in six montths, i just don't see that happening, it has to be an alignment issue like ours has, the offdoor slide on our 3500 RE has been making a raacket from day one, has had me worried a few times it might not open but always seems to catch and work. My dealership knows about this as i mentioned it when i did my walk thru and noticed it didn't close evenly and after our first outing again when i called to let the salesman know how much we loved our rv, it was the first one to leave the lot so told him to keep selling these and he would havenothing but happy customers.
I need to call tomorrow with my list of repairs needed so they can order whatever they need ahead of time. I want to be road ready by the first of march.
Let me know how things go with your slide, lippert or heartland should take responsibility for any problems especialy since it has been going on ffrom day one and you have it documented as i do.
Have a great trip and keep me up to date on how things are going. Email is marcusmorgan29@gmail.com
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Dan, thanks, will alcohol hurt the valve if i use a little on a q-tip to see if i can clean the pigtail and look for oil contamination??

1_oldgoat

Dan, just saw your other post as to freezing. Yes we are in Idaho or our home is, in Spokane at present time, i have a small ceramic heater i put in udc when we were in oregon and had a few nights of single digit weather. We did find out the Gateway to comfort package uses 12 vdc tank heaters so cleared that question up for alot of people, still not sure of heat tape, i do not believe ther is any as both times i have frozen up its been at the pump fresh water pick up hose and when i winterized could not see any tape wrapping the hose. I would never plan on staying in the rv in severe cold weather on purpose, when we were in oregon over thanksgiving is when i was unsure if the tank heaters were working, now i know how tthey work i don't think i need or use them unless it gets below 20 degrees. After reading other posts about tank damage from using tank heaters have been leary, and have only had them.on for 20 minutes total time. Its been plesant luckily here in spokane with temps from high 20's to mid 30's and no problems with freezing as grey tanks flow every time i have drained them.
Thank you again for educating me, as this is the first luxury rv we have owned and i have options i had no idea how they worked so all help is very much appreciated.
Marcus

danemayer

Dan, thanks, will alcohol hurt the valve if i use a little on a q-tip to see if i can clean the pigtail and look for oil contamination??
I don't know if alcohol might cause problems, but I doubt if a surface cleaning would make much difference.

1_oldgoat

Dan, i removed the pigtail from the rear and cleaned it with alcohol and cotton tips, actualy used a string and pulled a piece through the hose and back out, i got a little black on the cotton but nothing major to speak of, i blew the line.out with compressed air to make sure nothing was obstructing it also and got nothing out of it. After hooking back up last night and opening both tanks again, switch on the valve to rear the front tank still used more propane than the rear so i am assuming its the valve or regulator. Thanks again for the tip and i'll let you know what i find out what the problem.is for sure.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Mike, on our first outing i was told to check wheel lug nut torque and u-bolt nuts on axles, mine were all good, if you check yours and find the axle u-bolt and brackets are not tight its possible an axle could shift i suppose, if that happens i would consider an alignment check, didn't want to stop you from having it checked if you have reason to believe its out of alignment, just my opinion obviously but if u-bolts and brackets are all good and you have not hit any seriously rough roads or road hazzards, i couldn't see any reason how they can shift. Just wanted to clarify my reasoning on that. I am by no means an expert on these but am learning very quickly, i still wish there was a specific owners manual for these models, and one day i am sure there will be. That would help with alot of questions, my dealefship was new to the Gateway line so had to call Heartland to answer some of my questions. My salesman was great to deal with, zero pressure, we looked for monhs at several makes and models, he could not believe the stack of pamphlets we had aquired and ask for them all after we decided on this rv to show prospective buyers the research we did. He worked with thier Gateway rep to learn as much as he could and aftef not being able to answer questions had the rep come back to go over more throughly, the dealership is doing all they can to learn this line of rv's inside and out, which is all i can ask for.
Anyway just wanted you to know about axles and checking brackets and u-bolts before making a decision on alignment.
Marcus

GrumpyOneandTwo

Hey Marcus,

I'll check the u bolts, I didn't think about them. (I always do a air pressure, tire inspection and lug nut check before leaving home).The reason I wanted to check the Correct Track alignment is my salesman said to load the unit and put some miles on it. Then bring it back to laser check the alignment. The salesman and I were both shocked to learn the dealer isn't equipped to do the laser alignment. Since I had the unit at the dealer I thought I would get it done....they fooled me!!!!!!!

Yeah, I am also wondering how the seal wore out so quick. I hope Lippert contacted the dealer to resolve the problem. I'll find out when I go get the trailer.

I hope you find a simple solution to the propane issue. It sure can be aggravating to worry about something you shouldn't have to!

By the way, the dealer had to order a new fireplace for the Gateway. They couldn't get the fireplace to work with the remote so they ordered a new one! Also I had a grey tank leak like your tank leak and the girl told me they had to order a new tank. I think she meant a new tank gate valve. We'll just have to wait and see!

Take care,
Mike

jbeletti

I checked with Heartland Customer Service and was told that Sundance and Gateway do in fact have 12 volt DC heating pads. That was news to me but good to know.

I understand that plant 2 (LM/BH/BC) use 110 volt AC heating pads - as they always have.

1_oldgoat

Jim, thanks so much for contacting me, i was pretty sure they were 12 volt after hearing from another owner. The factory must not install fises so the tanks are not damage by leaving on at dealerships while empty.
Marcus