Soft start device installed on Mallard M260?

Number409

Has anyone installed a soft start AC device on your Mallard M260 or other Heartland RV? Curious if this really allows a single 2200w generator to drive a 15000BTU unit and how hard it is to install.

RoadJunkie

There are YouTube videos that document the install process so that you can determine your own comfort level of capability.

david-steph2018

Has anyone installed a soft start AC device on your Mallard M260 or other Heartland RV? Curious if this really allows a single 2200w generator to drive a 15000BTU unit and how hard it is to install.
We have 3 on our Road Warrior. These work great. allows us to run 2 AC on solar for a little bit to cool down.

LBR

I installed one for our bedroom AC....we only use that AC for our cats when temps head up over 90°. All 3 of our ACs draw 12 amps.

I did before and after tests with the soft start using my 3300 generator. Before the SS, when the AC compressor hits, it is obviously all at once....the generator has to immediately raise RPM to compensate. After the SS, it will start to raise RPM slowly...when the compressor hits, I can't hardly hear it in the genny. I have all of the monitoring equipment in place to follow the draws before and after, and even graphed the difference in genny surges...and it is very impressive.

Assuming a 12A draw when running, your genny is fine once the compressor is spooled up...but that initial hit will be hard on your genny and it will run fairly hard with the constant ~1500W/12A draw. I'm also assuming you're using a 15A extension cord which will apply more resistance into the system.

As you progress with running your AC on gen power, always look forward to the 3K gensets with a shorter 30A cord...it makes life so much easier with the 3K gennys loping along running the AC (and all other appliances) instead of the high demand/noise level/gas tank fillups/etc of your 2K genny.

Number409

I’m starting the research on generators for my M260 when boondocking. I’m looking at installing a soft start on my AC unit. Does anyone have experience with a single say 2500w generator powering the AC with a soft start? I know I can get a 3000w+ generator to drive the AC but these are > 100 lbs. which will be hard to load/unload in my truck. If a 2500w will not drive the AC and lights, I’m looking at Champion 2500i dual fuel running 2 in paralle.

Number409

thank you for all the feedback we are newbies to RVing. I can handle the install as I’m mechanically and electrical inclined. Only problem for me I do not like heights at all.

Do you think a 2500w genny with short cord will drive the ss AC?

rhodies1

I’m using a Gentec 2500 watt gen on my Bidhorn when I boondocks.it will run and operate without having the soft start.
I have it for the extreme hot days,2500 watt is a little light for running an AC,mine runs at a high rpm when using the AC
My cousin has the Champion 3200 watt and it’s fine and runs at low rpms on AC

I installed soft starts on my Landmark. My go power inverter monitors amps. When turning on the AC it never goes higher than 15amps.
So a 1800 watt generator will run the ac.

Number409

Sorry for all the questions I have one more. I’m trying to figure out if running two 2500w gennys in parallel creates more noise vs. a single 3500w genny. Does anyone have any input on how much noisier running two 2000-2500w gennys in parallel vs. that same genny running in single configuration?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The noise level will be determined by the brand and the decibel level.
A friend of mine has a Honda 3K and it is extremely quiet. I have an older 6K that is very noisy. I also have two Kipors that I run in parallel that are fairly quiet. I don't know how they compare to other brands but they are fairly quiet. Running single they are quiet.
I don't know the decibel rating of them.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, but my untrained ear thinks two are a little louder than one.

Peace
Dave