Solar mounting

Brazos

I think you are thinking of a fender well nut.

m4-screen-new.jpg

BlackT

I used the fender well nuts with the expanding rubber to mount my solar panels on my previous trailer. While the solar panels did not blow off, when I removed the panels to install them on my new rig the fender well nuts pulled right out of the roof with little effort. I believe that lag screws are much more secure.

Brazos

BlackT,
I tend to agree with you about using the lags. Either way a healthy glob of Dicor goes a long way keeping things in place. I do know of others that used the fender well nuts with great success. They do expand when the screw is inserted and will retract back to their normal size when the screw is removed. They are rubber with a metal screw thread. They do leave a larger hole if removed when compared to a lag. With Dicor and expanded the well nut will stay in place.

BlackT

The rubber fender well nuts had been installed for about 12 years in my previous trailer. The rubber had hardened and degraded considerably. When I removed them, I did not even have to loosen the screws.

SMinter

Heartland customer service rep. told me the roof on the XLT is only 0.20 inches thick and will not hold screws sufficiently for solar panels. He said they did not recommend installing solar panels on the XLT roof. He also said there are no roof trusses but I can definitely see some form of cross member every four feet so still confused. What have others done so far involving mounting and how is it working out. I am still a bit leery about the adhesive panels.