SOLUTION Landing gear fuse blowing up

Hi everyone, lost of people have fuses blowing up on their landing gear. Me too. But I think i found why. When most of us lower the landing gear to raise the nose we do it on the battery power only because the rv is not connected to the truck or to hydro. When you draw a lot of current the battery voltage drops . Therefore increasing the amps over 30 and blowing the fuse. Next summer I will lower the gear to raise the nose only if the trailer is hooked up to the grid or to the truck. The extra power from the RV convertor or the truck alternator will keep the voltage high enough so the fuse will not blow. If anyone can test it down south let us know.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I had two new 12 volts batteries and the fuse still blows, added two breakers in series and the fuse still blows. Painted the landing gear legs with limit lines and the problem was solved. (retracting the legs too far acts as a dead short)

jnbhobe

I had two new 12 volts batteries and the fuse still blows, added two breakers in series and the fuse still blows. Painted the landing gear legs with limit lines and the problem was solved. (retracting the legs too far acts as a dead short)

Now that I agree with.

Same things applies to your slide out. If connected to the grid you get a smooth slide and the motor is making a higher sound compared to when you move your slides on the battery power only. I never open or close slides out without grid power on the rv. I only forgot to do the same with the legs. I just bought the unit , used to have trailers not fifth wheel.

caissiel

Owened 5th for 20 years and never blew a fuse and I bump the return all the time when returning gears. But I have repaired all landing gears when felt they were running hard.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

Wharton

Several years ago there was a problem with the landing gear fuse(or circuit breaker) being too small. Replacing it with an 80 amp solved the problem.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think that fix was for electric gears also. Any electric motor is a dead short until it starts to move/run. Holding the button tooo long will blow the fuse/breaker. A low battery will also effect blowing fuses/breakers. This why all cars/trucks use circuit breaker for window, seats and anything else that has electric motors.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ted is correct in that the Lippert fix was aimed at the hydraulic pump breaker. It was the recommended fix when folks were popping the breaker while running out their hydraulic slides. It almost pre-dates the OEM use of hydraulic jacks. Increasing the breaker size on the OEM electric jacks might not be a great idea if the problem is operator error stalling the motor by over-retracting them. Instead of popping the breaker, you might end up burning up the motor.

I downloaded this file in Sept. 2009 from Lippert's site.