SOLVED: Both A/Cs not cooling

blkdodge

Dometic 15-5 and 13-5 btu's
Neither one is cooling, fans fun so it's not a power issue. I shut shore power down let sit a few minutes then turned back on, nothing. Both units were working yesterday but they were dripping alot of water from the roof. Is there service ports on these units and what refrigerant do they take?

danemayer

Re: Both A/C not cooloing

Hi blkdodge,

I don't think RV AC units come with service ports and I don't think RV service people are prepared to add refrigerant. You might get a home AC repair person to do something like that.

HOWEVER, it seems extremely unlikely that both of your AC units would fail at the same time due to a refrigerant problem. I'm guessing you have the Whisper Quiet AC system with both units feeding common ducting. This sounds more like the compressors are not being powered. Again, it would be unlikely to have 2 identical failures on different units at the same time. So there's probably a common cause.

I would start at the thermostat. Take the cover off and examine the wiring to see if anything is loose or broken.

As strange as it might sound, check your 12V DC system. If voltage is below 12V, the controls won't work correctly even though you have 110V AC to the coach.

If you have to get a service person involved, I'd suggest finding someone who is familiar with the Landmark Whisper Quiet setup so they don't have to waste time figuring out how it's wired.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Also be sure your fan is set to Auto not Hi, Med or LO

blkdodge

Danemayer ; I'm positive these are not whisper quiet because they are both LOUDER than you know what. Cant even hear the living room television without running it through the surround sound. Two separate controls

danemayer

Danemayer ; I'm positive these are not whisper quiet because they are both LOUDER than you know what. Cant even hear the living room television without running it through the surround sound. Two separate controls

All AC units are pretty noisy. If the bedroom AC is ducted you have the Whisper Quiet. If it blows the air directly out of the AC unit into the bedroom, and the bedroom AC has a separate thermostat, you don't have Whisper Quiet. Based on a simultaneous failure of both units, I'm guessing you have Whisper Quiet - or a general problem with the 12V DC power.

After you get it working again, you might take a look at our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide for tips on how to maximize cooling and minimize noise.

Lynn1130

Are you froze up? If there is water dripping from the roof you could have a build up of ice from humidity. You say the fans run, but is are the compressors kicking in? Could they have gone into overheat mode and turned the compressors off? I don't know if that will happen with these units but I do know that if they ice up they blow hot air until you let them defrost.

TXTiger

If you have two separate controls you probably don't have the whisper quit unit. Also if both indipendent units stopped working you may have a freeze up. Wait awhile for the ice to melt and try again

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

If you have high humidity and run the fans on low speed. The evaporator core will freeze up. When this happens, you will have very little air flow and propably no cooling. These A/C units may have a safety switch that shuts off the compressor if the low side temp get too low to let the evaporator thaw out.

blkdodge

GOT IT UP AND RUNNING
biggrin.gif

Living room was the sensing bulb that came out of the coil, put it back in all is good unit making 56.8 degree supply air.

Bedroom had a hourglass icon on the t-stat display, that meant compressor delay. I shut ALL power ac and 12volt let everything reset and low and behold it started cooling. I set it on 74degrees and unit cycled on and off all night as it should and I SLEPT NICE AND COOL AS I SHOULD.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas, I really appreciate them all.

jbeletti

Re: SOLVED: Both A/Cs not cooloing

Happy to hear you got it solved and for no $. Perfect!

Forum solutions: 1
RV Gremlins: 0