SOLVED: Electric water heater issue

Boscowtx

Camping this weekend, and the electric water heater does not work, the light on the switch does not come on. The tank is full, been two month since last time used, tank was full during that time. Gas part of the water heater works. Checked all the fuses, all good. Any body have any ideas? It’s a 2016 BC 3650rl

Last edited by a moderator:

happykraut

Re: Electric water heater

Camping this weekend, and the electric water heater does not work, the light on the switch does not come on. The tank is full, been two month since last time used, tank was full during that time. Gas part of the water heater works. Checked all the fuses, all good. Any body have any ideas? It’s a 2016 BC 3650rl
I would kill the power to the water heater, disconnect one side of the element and check the resistance across the element. At least you'll have the element out of the picture.

danemayer

It’s an Atwood, all breakers good, will take one side apart and check that method

Atwoods have a single thermostat/ECO, so if it works ok on propane, it's not that. The 120V to the water heater likely goes to a relay controlled by the water heater circuit board as shown on the left side of this diagram. The 120V connection to the water heater is probably in a junction box mounted on the inside front of the unit.
Atwood Wiring Diagram.jpg

Lynn1130

Sorry if this is a silly question but you don't say whether you are hooked to 120V. The electric heater is 120 only. (Or the genny is running).

Redrider007

I know it is an obvious answer but I didn't know mine had this until I looked into it. Is the switch "ON" in the water heater compartment for 120 use?

danemayer

I know it is an obvious answer but I didn't know mine had this until I looked into it. Is the switch "ON" in the water heater compartment for 120 use?
if you're talking about the secondary switch on the outside of the unit, Atwoods don't have them.