SOLVED: Electrical Gremlins are back

wdk450

Thanks for the recognition.
Another great use I have found for DeOxIt is in the switches for the truck stereo system on the back of the steering wheel. Also, with all of the bad RV park shorepower outlets, I routinely spray the outlet and my plug prongs with DeOxIt before plugging in.

Older literature that used to be on the Caig website talked about how the chemicals actually get into the crystalline atomic matrix of the contact metals to remove and displace non-conductive corrosion.

Big-B

Thanks for the recognition.
Another great use I have found for DeOxIt is in the switches for the truck stereo system on the back of the steering wheel. Also, with all of the bad RV park shorepower outlets, I routinely spray the outlet and my plug prongs with DeOxIt before plugging in.

Older literature that used to be on the Caig website talked about how the chemicals actually get into the crystalline atomic matrix of the contact metals to remove and displace non-conductive corrosion.

It must also have a lubricant in it. The switch that I used it on used to be pretty sticky. Not it works like new.

david-steph2018

I used to use Trich 111 in the past to clean electrical components. It did a great job, but is now banned. While in the Navy as an electrician this is what we used to clean motor windings, controllers, switches and other electricial items.
You had to be careful while using it.
1,1,1-Trichloroethane

CoveredWagon

I used to use Trich 111 in the past to clean electrical components. It did a great job, but is now banned. While in the Navy as an electrician this is what we used to clean motor windings, controllers, switches and other electricial items.
1,1,1-Trichloroethane

Yup Used it for years also, seems it was gone by the 80s. 😡

wdk450

1,1,1-Trichloroethane

While I was in the Navy I ordered a 55 gallon drum of 1,1,1 Trichlorethane for cleaning mechanical Model 28 teletype printers. The printers were full of oil. Too late I learned that the 1,1,1 Trichlorethane removed the powdered oil impregnated into the clutch castings (oilite bearings). It really took the oil off my arms when I dipped stuff in the drum, too. My arms came out white. At that time I was working in a separate shop by myself, unsupervised. This was at a tiny base in Germany on the Baltic Sea.

My classic DeOxIt story happened about 20 years later, when I was working as a Hospital Biomedical Equipment technician at U.C. Davis Medical Center. The surgical pathology lab had a tissue dissection station with the 20 inch squirrel cage exhaust blower not working. The system had a 3 inch rocker switch that I found was causing the problem. This was a STAT call, and that exact switch was not available in Sacramento. The switch had 2 like access holes on the sides near the back right near the rocker contacts. I was able to get a pointed swiss file in these holes and file the contacts. Little improvement (I did a 10 try test on intermittent stuff like this - the motor ran in about 2 trys). I then sprayed the DeOxIt in the access holes and tried the switch again. Success in 10 out of 10 trys. I got them going, and ordered a new switch overnight freight, just in case.

mlpeloquin

Used heated 1,1,1 Trichlorethane vapor for cleaning printed circuit boards. Nothing like it. Had to have proper ventilation and the top of the heated barrel had a very cold cooling coil to keep the vapors in. Last used about 1998.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We had it in the lab I worked in, back in the ‘80’s, along with a lot of other solvents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillyBill

Trichloroethylene is proven to cause tinnitus, (and a number of other health problems). Don't ask me how I know.

WB