SOLVED: Fresh Water Tank filling when on City Water

jbeletti

This seems like where I need to be , I just got back from a cross the united states trip loved it with the exception of when I connected the city water and used the shower and sinks it used my stored water instead of city water and I noticed water draining off the roof all four corners when city water connected I have a 2012 cyclone and I don't see a valve to switch from city to on board water source ......help I never noticed before because I boondocked it for a year worked fine off self containment .

I'm hearing two issues here:
1. Water coming out of a tank vent pipe on the roof. Note that the gray and black tanks are vented there but not the fresh.
2. When connected to city water, you feel your are drawing water from the tank instead.

Item 1 sounds like you are filling your gray or black tank with water and it is filling the vent stack and pouring out onto the roof. I did this with my black tank when I mis-connected my city water to the black tank flusher.

Item 2 sounds like the selector valve is set wrong as to where the coach is to draw water. I'm not fluent with the Cyclone to where I can tell you where the valves are or how to have them set for city water use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wmnmy

That's exactly what's happening my grey says full when I connect city water to the valve noted city water beside the fresh water fill my black tank is below I haven't used the black flush yet I have been flushing down the toilet like olden days lol I have two greywaterchech switches inside black fresh and battery

jbeletti

Sounds like the pump is allowing water to pass through it backwards to fill the tank. Why water would run off the roof is beyond my guessing.
Contact ShurFlo with your pump serial number and see if they will work with you on a replacement pump. If not, take the pump apart if you are comfortable with doing so. Some have told me that debris in the diaphragm can cause water to breach the pump in a backflow fashion.
You need to get up on the roof while water if coming off of it to determine the origin. Then work that problem from there. Let us know what you find.

Wmnmy

I contacted shurflo of course my pump is out of warranty gonna put a new pump in and see if that help before I take it out this year.

MTPockets

Glad I found this thread ...... Got up yesterday AM and saw water was dripping from the fresh water overflow... Long story short... Having the same problem as Jim's original post. I drained the tank and turned the city water back on - it took about 12 hours for the tank to fill to 2/3's; so if I understand this correctly, it's back-flowing thru the pump. Do I need to 1) replace the pump or 2) put in a check valve on the out side (pressure side) of the pump, or 3) do both... or 4) is the problem the 4 way valve? .... At the moment, I'm assuming the answer is that the valve is fine; I have a check valve on hand to install right away, and can replace the pump next week when I'm going to be near a supply store - - Does this sound like a plan and will it work?

danemayer

Hi Terry,

I suspect crud gets into the internals of the pump allowing it's internal check valve to stay partially open. Putting in the inline check valve between the fresh tank and water pump will solve the problem. Just make sure you orient the arrows so that water flows the right direction.

If in warranty, ShurFlo will send a new pump in return for mailing in the label on the old pump. I don't think I'd replace an out of warranty pump as long as the inline check valve did the job.

MTPockets

Hi Terry,

I suspect crud gets into the internals of the pump allowing it's internal check valve to stay partially open. Putting in the inline check valve between the fresh tank and water pump will solve the problem. Just make sure you orient the arrows so that water flows the right direction.

If in warranty, ShurFlo will send a new pump in return for mailing in the label on the old pump. I don't think I'd replace an out of warranty pump as long as the inline check valve did the job.
Thanks... I believe your suspicions are correct.... My tank filled two times in two days so I just used the pump unitil I got the fittings to complete the check valve install. I decided to wait a few days before installing the valve, and now it's not leaking back. Whatever was lodged is now gone as the tank is not filling now... I'll still put in the check valve. Maybe the answer is to make sure the pump gets used more often...........

Zoomzoommo

This past weekend, my new 3110 filled the fresh water tank to about 1/3 of capacity while the valve was set to 'city' water. Is this normal? Additionally, there is a water leak behind the water inlet/ four way valve panel. I I plan to take the rig i to the dealer in the very near future to have this checked out.

danemayer

This past weekend, my new 3110 filled the fresh water tank to about 1/3 of capacity while the valve was set to 'city' water. Is this normal? Additionally, there is a water leak behind the water inlet/ four way valve panel. I I plan to take the rig i to the dealer in the very near future to have this checked out.
Zoomzoommo, The earlier posts in this thread speak to water going backwards through the water pump into the fresh tank. The attached drawing should help you understand what's happening. BUT, if you've determined this by looking at your gauges, keep in mind that the gauges are notoriously unreliable. If the fill level keeps increasing, you've got a problem. If you're not sure what's going on, drain the fresh tank by either opening the drain, or by shutting off city water and running the pump until the tank is empty. Then if it refills, you've got something to discuss with the dealer. And of course, the leak should be fixed ASAP before it causes damage to the wood or soaks any insulation in the underbelly.

Attachments

• checkvalvefailure.pdf
    5.6 KB · Views: 72

Zoomzoommo

I had completely drained the fresh water tanks before the last trip, so I suspect there is an issue. I'll completely drain before visiting the dealer, and see if it happens again while hooked up to city water.

Zoomzoommo

One of the connections on the back side of the four way valve was leaking. Simple fix under warranty, along with a sliding patio door adjustment. Should be ready for Ouray CO in a couple of weeks !

208E003C-0AAB-4FB5-B553-65A6E045B721-12822-00000A53CD10554F_zps54a58570.jpg