SOLVED: Intermittent hot water in Landmark

We recently took our first trip with our 2009 Landmark fifth wheel. During preparations for departure our hot water stared to come and go. There is pressure. We have checked the bypass valve. Is it possible for the valve to be stuck open?

danemayer

Re: Intermittent hot water/ Landmark fifth wheel

Hi Jorgensons,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Based on your description, you seem to be mixing hot and cold water somewhere.

Since you've already checked the bypass valve (I assume you have a single valve), next thing to check is the outside faucet - probably in the Universal Docking Center (UDC), above the water inlet. If the faucet knobs are not turned off, hot and cold water can mix there.

Water heaters usually have a check valve on the hot water outlet, located on the back of the water heater, on top. If that check valve is stuck, you can mix hot and cold. On occasion I've heard of people finding the check valve on the bottom connection, which is the cold water input to the water heater.

If you have a plastic check valve, proceed very carefully. The can get weak over time and crack. Sometimes they'll crack when you attempt to remove it.

John T Bettencourt

Replace that plastic check valve with a brass one and your problem will be gone. I have a 2009 Landmark and mine would do the same until I changed it.

Thank you for the advice. We have fixed the problem. It was the bypass valve.