SOLVED: Kitchen sink holding tank open vent located inside the living area?

How did I find this you may be asking, by locating the bad smell venting from the kitchen sink holding tank vent!
I purchased a used 2008 Sundance FW this year. The fourth of July Holiday (2018) I just learned during our camping trip there's a kitchen sink holding tank ('T'" pipe) vent located under the kitchen sink cabinet.
It seems to me "very odd" an Mfg. would add a holding tank vent (the great smell of wastewater) to be vented inside the RV living area, am I missing something?

Byron in Tucson AZ, >100' F

danemayer

Re: Kitchen sink holding tank open vent located inside the living area?

Hi bataradena,

If your kitchen sink is in an island, the vent cannot go up and through the roof without spoiling the appearance of the interior. So there's a device called a Studor Air Admittance Valve that functions like a vent pipe. Air is supposed to be admitted from the living area into the tank to allow proper drainage. Air is not supposed to flow from the tank into the living area.

When the valve fails, air moves in both directions, producing a smell in the living area.

I've attached a picture showing a Studor Valve. You can find them locally in the plumbing section of a Lowes or Home Depot.

Attachments

• Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    Studor Air Admittance Valve.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 61

avvidclif

Re: Kitchen sink holding tank open vent located inside the living area?

On a previous RV the sink was not in an island but against the wall. I found the valve laying under the sink and couldn't figure out where it came from. After abt 2 days it started smelling and I looked harder. Still couldn't see it as where it was screwed onto the pipe was behind the sink. Screwed it back on, tight this time and end of problem.
You're not the first with that problem, won't be the last.

Re: Kitchen sink holding tank open vent located inside the living area? (SOVLED!)

Both responses made my life so much easier knowing I not the first with a simple fix to boot.
Again thanks for the quick reply, wishing you future happy trails.

Byron in Tucson AZ.