Bad Odor under floor beneath Kitchen Sink

Boozecamp

Our 5er is less than a year old. First 7 months, we camped a half dozen long weekends, but have been living in it full time for the past 3 months. A month ago, I started noticing a foul oder when I opened the cabinet door on the island, next to the kitchen sink to discard trash in a bin/can. At first, I thought the trash was causing the oder, wrong!.......odor continued, so, a week later, thought it might be a leak in plumbing, so I explored the plumbing all the way down through the floor penetration. Absolutely No leaks, odor continued...... Over a week ago, I flushed all holding tanks and did the Geo Method (filled tanks half way with fresh water, desolved 2 cups of water softner, 1 cup of laundry detergent, and half gallon of bleach. That stayed in tanks for 10 days. Yesterday, it still stunk under the sink. So I went back under the sink and found the plumbing vent cap was not tight, so I tightened it. Then cleared everthing out from under the sink again and did another full inspection. Found no water leaks or previous water damage. But as my nose got closer to the floor penetration where the sink drains down to the holding tank, I detected a very strong oder wiffing up beneath the floor. I shinned a light down through the 4" diameter hole and everything looks brand new, no sign of leaks, residue, water build-up, nothing. The oder smells like musty sewer gas (not black water, but more like soured grey water). Now I'm at a fork in the road.

A) ask for help in determining what could be causing this. Has anyone been under there before? Do any of the holding tanks vent directly into the subfloor area? I doubt seriously that they would, but who knows?

B) start taking down the plastic underbelly covering and come up from the bottom exploring.

Note: i've been looking for signs of leakage under the 5er, maybe some drips leaking past the plastic under-cover, but nothing.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I tried to answer all the anticipated questions I thought I'd get in advance.

Boozecamp

Ok, I took the bottom liner down on the under-belly, inspected everything, no leaks. That's not the source of the odor. So I sealed up all openings/penetrations that go down thru the sink island/cabinet and floor. Waited an hour......still smells like grey water sewer gas. So I determined the only source for odor is from that darn high point vent that stems off the sink drain line. It's on the tank side of the pee-trap, where it belongs. I understand why it's needed, (to allow air to escape the tank as sink water enters). But is this vent the "only" vent to that tank??? If so, why in the **** would they vent that gas back into the coach??? If it's a check valve that is supposed to remain closed until there's pressure induced on tank (from grey water entry) then I could except that I guess, but it acts/smells like its stuck open. Is that possible?
So I put duck tape on that vented cap about 40 minutes ago, and hummm, NO MORE SMELL? Anyone know what is going on here, this coach is not even 1 year old. Can't understand why Heartland doesn't vent that to atmosphere, like codes require in residential homes.

danemayer

So I determined the only source for odor is from that darn high point vent that stems off the sink drain line. It's on the tank side of the pee-trap, where it belongs. I understand why it's needed, (to allow air to escape the tank as sink water enters).
When you drain water from the sink, the Studor Air Admittance Valve allows air to go into the pipe, relieving the suction. This prevents the suction from sucking the water out of the p-trap. If the Studor Valve becomes 2-way, stinky air can rise from the tank/pipe into the coach. If it becomes 0-way, the water may get sucked out of the p-trap, allowing stinky air into the kitchen.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That Studor valve is not the only vent, actually it is not a vent. but an air admittance valve.
Yours is venting, it should not do .that
They do fail by sticking in the open position.
If you go to Home Depot you can get one for about five bucks.

Peace
Dave

Boozecamp

I just took the check valve off. Looks good. Looks new. I cleaned the rim and tried to pull a vacuum on it by sucking air try it. The valve opened and let air in. I created a seal with my lips and blew on it, it quickly shut and didn't let any air out. So I'm convinced the valve is working properly. Before I unscrewed the check valve, I opened the cabinet I could still smell the odor even though I had full taped the check valve vent holes. I'm puzzled! It doesn't make sense! When the cabinet doors on the island, the stink builds up. And it's the same gas smell that I can detect coming from the grey water holding tank.

Garypowell

I had a similar problem. Replaced the vent tightened everything. Still smelled. So I decided to replace all of the pipe and even sink drains if needed.

Got into it and found 1. the sink drains were never properly sealed well paper gaskets but to me not proper and they were lose still. 2. one drain line that was hooked directly to the bottom of the sink drain did not have the rubber gasket it was supposed to have. At least the other line had one. Went out and purchased sealant and new rubber gaskets for the sink drains and new rubber gaskets for that first connection and it solved the problem.

Never did see a leak but I believe these joints just being "wet" and "open" allowed them to stink.

I also was was not crazy about the design. Not a plumber but there is only 1 P trap for two sinks. Maybe this is OK but I had always thought 1 P trap per sink was the way to go. Any dual sink I have ever owned was that way.

My my point here is there is a lot of pipe between the sink drain and this one lonely P trap......maybe that adds to the potential for a smell.

Maybe be some plumber can weigh in.

Roller4tan

I've found that if the fantastic fan or bathroom fan is on and there are not enough windows open I get the smell under the kitchen sink or bathroom sink. I think the fan creates a negative pressure in the 5er and sucks stinky air through the valves. I make sure there is enough air coming in and haven't had any issues like I did before. just my 2cents

rjr6150

I also was was not crazy about the design. Not a plumber but there is only 1 P trap for two sinks. Maybe this is OK but I had always thought 1 P trap per sink was the way to go. Any dual sink I have ever owned was that way.

Code allows for one P-trap for a two bowl sink at least here in Co. Checking Uniform Plumbing Code also allowed.