SOLVED: Landmark Slide in/landing gear stalls

timdebs

Our door slide, off door slide, and landing gear stalls when pulling in or letting out. I have read forum and owners talk about a breaker. Is this what you recommend? Thanks Tim

danemayer

Re: ATF: Landmark - Slide in/landing gear stalls

In case you haven't seen the pictures.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 96
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 68

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

A weak or low charged battery can cause this. Make sure both battery cables are clean and tight.

Westwind

Our FW was two seasons old and I had to replace mine, I now carry a spare, they are cheap enough and don't take up a lot of room.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Cold temps also cause them to throw as a result of thicker oil. Changing them out is easy enough to do, did it already myself on our 2014 Key Largo.

bdb2047

It seams there have been a couple of questions lately on this issue. I would think a properly sized breaker would not normally go bad from normal use. I have checked current draw and it is normally about 70a. Drawing 70a on a 50a breaker as normal operation will cause the breaker to fail. Since this is ATF does factory have any response?

danemayer

It seams there have been a couple of questions lately on this issue. I would think a properly sized breaker would not normally go bad from normal use. I have checked current draw and it is normally about 70a. Drawing 70a on a 50a breaker as normal operation will cause the breaker to fail. Since this is ATF does factory have any response?

Hi bdb2047,

Lippert specs the breaker size for their hydraulic systems. Heartland installs what Lippert specifies. If yours is drawing 70 amps, you may need to look at electrical connections, check for mechanical binds, and make sure you have correct voltage at the pump. Or you can install a larger breaker - but should consider how much current the existing wiring can handle.

When people post about specific issues on their RVs, the factory may contact the owner offline to help resolve the issue. I've never seen them engage in "I would think" type of discussions.

bdb2047

Dan
Lippert worked on my system last Jan. 70a is normal accoring to thier tech,he installed an 80a breaker which he says is proper size.If you can check yours for amp draw mybe he told me something not correct.

Hi bdb2047,

Lippert specs the breaker size for their hydraulic systems. Heartland installs what Lippert specifies. If yours is drawing 70 amps, you may need to look at electrical connections, check for mechanical binds, and make sure you have correct voltage at the pump. Or you can install a larger breaker - but should consider how much current the existing wiring can handle.

When people post about specific issues on their RVs, the factory may contact the owner offline to help resolve the issue. I've never seen them engage in "I would think" type of discussions.

danemayer

Dan
Lippert worked on my system last Jan. 70a is normal accoring to thier tech,he installed an 80a breaker which he says is proper size.If you can check yours for amp draw mybe he told me something not correct.

Lippert makes hydraulics systems for many manufacturers, for RVs of all kinds, with lots of different weights on landing gear and different size and weight of slideouts. It wouldn't surprise me if some configurations require more power than others. So the Lippert tech might have been correct in part.

Your 2011 LM probably has the 4 point system like ours. I replaced the 50 amp breaker about a year ago because it began tripping. The new 50 amp breaker took care of the problem. I also lube the jacks and slides periodically so they move smoothly.

Sorry, not able to test current draw at the moment.

jjwink

Have you actually installed this ? We have been having problems with our door side slide coming in very slowly , hesitating or not at all. We have replaced the breaker once. This seems to happen when the slides have not been retracted or extended for a month or so.

timdebs

I talked with David and Art at Heartland, their reply was to replace the relay. I went to Car Quest and bought one for $10.37 including tax and so far both slides and landing gear are working great. I did buy a spare just in case. Hopefully it will last. Thanks for all the replies and advice. Tim

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

Have you actually installed this ? We have been having problems with our door side slide coming in very slowly , hesitating or not at all. We have replaced the breaker once. This seems to happen when the slides have not been retracted or extended for a month or so.

Sounds like one of two problems, batteries low and/or lubrication is needed on rams and mechanical slide supports. You may also want to check your slide hydralic valves for positioning and make sure you have enough fliud in your system.

Murry135

rxbristol

I talked with David and Art at Heartland, their reply was to replace the relay. I went to Car Quest and bought one for $10.37 including tax and so far both slides and landing gear are working great. I did buy a spare just in case. Hopefully it will last. Thanks for all the replies and advice. Tim

What rely and where did you install it at? All the talk has been about circuit breakers.

wdk450

A number of people are correctly suggesting low trailer battery voltage as a possible cause of the poor hydraulics performance. As a routine, I connect my shore power as early as I can in the setup procedure, and disconnect it about last in departure procedure, to allow the huge resources of the electrical grid and the electrical converter to assist my battery system in these high-current tasks.

meagle

I started a thread on this issue a few weeks ago as well. I worked with Heartland and the service technician at Redding RV. The motor that operates the hydraulic system is rated at 100 Amps. The technician said that this was fairly common, especially a few years ago on the bigger RV's. Heartland gave permission to use an 80 Amp breaker and sent it from their factory. They also said that they were going to work with Lippert for a permanent fix to this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: