SOLVED: Luke warm water

rog1215

Hello, I have a cyclone 3100 with an atwood water heater. Issue is luke warm water on 110 side. Is there a thermosate adjustment on these atwood units for the electric side? This is a brand new rig and we are on the road in the black hills now.All help appreciated. Roger

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Luke warm water

It sounds like you might be mixing hot and cold water somewhere.
There are a couple of things to check.
Be sure that your water heater bypass valve is fully in position.
Then, if you have an outside shower be sure that both hot and cold water faucets are turned off there.
Also if the shower faucets are turned on that can mix the hot and cold water.

Peace
Dave

donr827

When this happened to me it was that the outside shower was slightly on.......Don

rog1215

Thanks Guys, We checked the shower valves and they needed closing, and I am guesing the bypass valve is at the water heater itself? or is it the 4 way walve at the same area where the city water hose itself attaches to trailer? still luke warm water! Thanks Roger

danemayer

Thanks Guys, We checked the shower valves and they needed closing, and I am guesing the bypass valve is at the water heater itself? or is it the 4 way walve at the same area where the city water hose itself attaches to trailer? still luke warm water! Thanks Roger
Hi Roger,

There are 2 types of water heater bypass: one has a valve in the UDC; the other has 3 valves on the backside of the water heater. Both types are pictured on page 24 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide.

bobca1

All, thank you for this helpful post. Took delivery of a new cyclone today could not understand why we had just luke warm water thought maybe something was wrong with the Atwood water heater. After reading this thread went outside pulled of the access panel to get to the back of water heater sure enough the bypass was open. :(
Piping hot water now!

8amps

We had an issue with lukewarm 'hot' water. We were in Quartzsite at the AZ Rally and had water leak that was due to a bent hose on the UDC. Had a mobile repairman come out for the leak and mentioned the hot water. Been meaning to ask on here about it... There was a brass fitting on the "hot" water exit (other being marked "cold") on the hot water heater. I happened to notice when poking around looking for the leak that there was a price tag on said fitting. I figured Heartland must have a vat of these things and that they would not be individually priced and that it was probably a replacement (we bought the unit used). He said this was a check valve that wasn't necessary and replaced it with a regular fitting. Voila! Instant hot water! (I mean instant! We were initially thinking water heater element was going out so it was a relief that it was heating properly inside the tank.) So... this was after he initially told me that I needed to lower my expectations with regards to hot water. :rolleyes: After I pointed out the price tag, he did a little investigating. So my question to more experienced people than myself... would there be any reason to have the check valve on there? I don't want to be subverting something that was actually there for a reason...

danemayer

would there be any reason to have the check valve on there? I don't want to be subverting something that was actually there for a reason...
If you have a single water heater bypass valve in the UDC, when operated, it routes water around the water heater cold water input. The check valve keeps antifreeze from entering into the hot water outlet when you pump it into your water lines.

If you have a 3-valve water heater bypass on the backside of the water heater, it's probably not needed because there's a separate valve that closes off the hot water line.

The brass valve was probably a replacement for the original plastic check valve.

fidhleir

Can I say how much I love these forums and this group? We're one week into our first trip with our new 3160EL Bighorn and suffering through luke warm showers. A quick search led me to this thread. Closed the outside shower knobs and instant hot water. Thank you all. Once again my choice of Heartland is affirmed.

jimtoo

Hi fidhleir,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. If you have been looking around then you have found lots of good information and lots of great folks always willing to help when they can.

Enjoy the forum and your new Bighorn.

Jim M