SOLVED: No AC power at microwave outlet

vicrider

I am currently plugged in to 30 amp shore power at my beach house. After I hooked up I had power everywhere, then my wife noticed this morning that the microwave wasn't working. I have checked all of the breakers, shut off and then turned on the microwave breaker and there is still no power to that outlet. I have checked the GFCI breaker in the bathroom triggered it and then reset it still no power at the microwave outlet in the kitchen.
Any ideas where to look next?

danemayer

Re: No power at microwave outlet.

Hi vicrider,

Have you tested the microwave outlet with a voltmeter or by plugging in another appliance (coffee pot, toaster, etc.)?

If the outlet is actually dead, next thing to check would be outside. When you use a 50-->30 amp adapter, it's possible that a poor connection or defect, or loose power cord connection at the trailer could cause you to lose power to one leg of your 50 amp system. The 50-->30 adapter is a key suspect.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

You might also want to plug your microwave into a known good outlet. The microwave may have died.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I would suspect that the insulation displacement connector type of outlet used throughout the trailer might have a flaky connection. You might think about changing out as many of your important, high current usage, outlets as possible to regular screw wiring connection type outlets.

001.jpg regular outlet.jpg
IDC Connector Regular Screw Connector Wiring Outlet

vicrider

Thanks everyone. I plugged the microwave into a separate source in the trailer and the microwave works fine. I took the outlet out of the cupboard and there is no power at the outlet. I took the panel cover off and checked the power at the breaker and that is 121 volts so that's good, so there is some kind of a breakage in between the breaker and the outlet. I'll have to open up the basement and take a look in there and see what's going on.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
No power at microwave outlet.

Might want to look under the slide. Here's what I found when we lost 12v power.
c0e4a63a4f9e4106146074b4d12e29ae.jpg

Right adjacent to this is the 120v line for the receptacles in the kitchen.
417747111d96ab775535a46e6fa86731.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If in a slide, power might be routed through a junction box on the underside of the slide out. I'd suggest disconnecting from shore power before opening the box, in case there are exposed wires.

Westwind

Check out the boxes on both slideouts if you have opposing ones. I had a broken wire that acted as power lead to the kitchen slide, I lost the refer, microwave and two outlets and went nuts looking for the problem until I went over to the opposite slide and opened the box. Bye the way = Make sure you shut off the electricity, my box was live and everything inside was wet and corroded due to the wire openings on the boxes. The boxes had filled with salt and water from a run in an ice storm on the way to Florida.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We had the same thing happen in our previous Landmark. Everything checked out okay and still the mw outlet was dead. Turned out it was a defective GFCI outlet in the bathroom that was causing the problem. Changed out the GFCI outlet and solved the problem. BTW the GFCI outlet tested okay prior to replacing it.

vicrider

Quick update, this morning there was power on that line at the outlet, so go figure!! I hadn't gotten into the junction boxes under the slides yet, so I'm sure I'll run into it again down the line.
I really appreciate everyone at HOC, and the great help that you all provide.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

Quick update, this morning there was power on that line at the outlet, so go figure!! I hadn't gotten into the junction boxes under the slides yet, so I'm sure I'll run into it again down the line.
I really appreciate everyone at HOC, and the great help that you all provide.

If the power is intermittent then I think it would be a good chance of a loose connection. The junction box would be where I would start.

Westwind

Previous TT I replaced our bath GFI twice, someone I live with has a bad habit of pulling cords out of outlets, not saying that has anything to do with it but I don't use the outlet. We have had the Bighorn for 3 years, I'm carrying around a spare GFI but so far everything good. I would think you would have more then one outlet out if the GFI let go. I'm really suspicious of the exterior connection boxes under the exterior of the slide outs since that is where my problem was.

hriker

I had pretty the same thing happen to my Landmark and I found a loose wire in the junction box under the kitchen slide. The wires actually came apart. I reattached with the wire nut and then taped them with electrical tape to ensure they will not come apart in the future. Good luck!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Rgrthib

Having a similar issue w/ 2015 4100...my wife attempted to plug in a crock pot where there was already a space heater running. While it worked for an hour or so, eventually both were cool and the outlet (and six additional outlets) no longer have power. All of the island outlets are w/o power, the three slide outlets, as is the couch outlets/usbs. I checked the GFCI in the both bathrooms and reset to no avail. Am I missing a GFCI outlet hidden somewhere? I don't have the skills or expertise to start 'checking' wires and connections in boxes around the RV.

jimtoo

Hi Rgrthib,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you have checked the GFI, then you need to check the 120v circuit breakers also. Even though they look like they are not tripped, turn them off and back on.

Let us know what you find.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

Having a similar issue w/ 2015 4100...my wife attempted to plug in a crock pot where there was already a space heater running. While it worked for an hour or so, eventually both were cool and the outlet (and six additional outlets) no longer have power. All of the island outlets are w/o power, the three slide outlets, as is the couch outlets/usbs. I checked the GFCI in the both bathrooms and reset to no avail. Am I missing a GFCI outlet hidden somewhere? I don't have the skills or expertise to start 'checking' wires and connections in boxes around the RV.

Hi Rgrthib,

Have you checked the main circuit breaker panel to see if you tripped a breaker? Sometimes it's hard to see that they're tripped. You may have to flip them off and back on.

Rgrthib

Hi Rgrthib,

Have you checked the main circuit breaker panel to see if you tripped a breaker? Sometimes it's hard to see that they're tripped. You may have to flip them off and back on.

Dan/Jim,

The breakers are a bit difficult to see so I removed the panel and turned them all off then back on and I also removed and tested all of the 15 & 20 amp fuses...still no luck. Greatly appreciated and standing by for any additional recommendations before I start checking wires and replacing GFCIs.

danemayer

If you're running on shore power, try starting the generator to see if the problem goes away. That would indicate a problem at the transfer switch or power cord connection, or campground pedestal.

If you're currently running on the generator, check the circuit breakers on the front of the generator.

Rgrthib

If you're running on shore power, try starting the generator to see if the problem goes away. That would indicate a problem at the transfer switch or power cord connection, or campground pedestal.

If you're currently running on the generator, check the circuit breakers on the front of the generator.

After looking trough earlier posts a little more, and specifically the comments about the junction box under the kitchen slide, I decided to do conduct a more thorough inspection of that area. There is a box under there, it appears as though the cover has become dislodged and perhaps a wire or two came loose. Unplugging as soon as it drugs out here and going to take a closer look.