SOLVED: No brakes on new Landmark Key Largo.

Brader

I picked up our new Key Largo Saturday only to find that the brakes are not working. I'm 60 miles from the dealer. I hate to tow without brakes. My brake controller says OL when brakes are applied on the Key Largo, but when hooked to another trailer controller works. So I assume my controller is good. I checked for voltage at the at the wiring box on the pin box and I get no voltage on the blue wires when applying the brakes. I sure could use some suggestions.

jimtoo

Re: No brakes on new Landmark Key Largo.

Hi Brader,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sorry to hear your having a brake problem. Did the brakes work at the dealership when you did your PDI and check out? If the brakes worked then and your not getting power to the blue wire at the junction box on the pinbox, I would think something got pulled loose or broken somehow.

This is link to manual with wiring if it will help you. Maybe some other owner will jump in with an ideal also.

Let us know what you find.

Jim M

Rickhansen

Hi Brader,
Going off the info Jim passed along and your post, you need to check between the blue wire and the white wire (ground) to check voltage to the brake circuit. Your post indicates blue wires, plural. Not sure where you are checking. At the junction box behind the pin box?

You might also check that the safety breakaway switch is properly engaged.

Brader

The dealer did the hookup and it was my misfortune that I did not catch it right away. After review of the day I'd say there was no brakes.

Brader

Yes, there are three blue wires tied together with a wire nut. I will chech the brake away switch. It's under the white hitch cover/shroud, and visual inspection is difficult. Maybe not the best design. I'll test the blue and white with my volt meter when I get home from work.

Brader

The box is where all the pig tail wires connect to the trailer wires. Brake,hot,ground,turn signal. All connected with wire nuts.

Tombstonejim

The first thing I would do is take the trailer plug apart and make sure all od the wires were connected and not shorted

danemayer

Hi Brader,

If you pull the emergency breakaway cable out of the switch, the trailer brakes should lock up. By testing for this you can eliminate the possibility that the problem is further downstream.

gvtahoe88

Yes, there are three blue wires tied together with a wire nut. I will chech the brake away switch. It's under the white hitch cover/shroud, and visual inspection is difficult. Maybe not the best design. I'll test the blue and white with my volt meter when I get home from work.

Hopefully they did not pump your brakes full of grease at the factory. That can happen!!!

Brader

I can check the plug but not the wires inside. The problem is found. The connections on the new factory plug looed wrong. Spread to far apart. I adjusted the connections and the brakes are working. Thanks to all my new friends for all the advice. I will have more questions in the comming days. Thanks again, Brian

Rickhansen

Interesting that your brake controller indicated overload for an open circuit. Not very intuitive, to be sure.

Glad you got it solved.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired

Nothing less fun than trying to figure out why trailer lights/brakes aren't working!
When time permits I would get out the soldering iron and some shrink tubing and do away with the wire nuts. They are fine for indoor wiring but corrosion will eventually find it's way into them when used outside.

saskrick

I agree. I had a similar issue last year where I kept getting a short fault on my controllers. It was where all the blue wire were connected with a marette. All I did was clean and reinstall. I also added dielectric grease in the marette to keep some moisture out. This was temporary fix, but like nwilson said, you might be best to solder the wires.