SOLVED: No DC Power (Sundance)

jbhd

I went to my 2010 Sundance 3200re today to check it out (which is in an indoor storage) and none of the 12V systems work, landing gear, lights, nothing. Plugged in shore power and still nothing. The 120V is working as the Microwave clock is on a nightlight is on, the ceiling fan works but no 12v. I've read much on this forum including closed ones and it seems it may be the converter. I have not used the 5th wheel this season but had it home 8 weeks back and all was working fine. I have not tried any of the trouble shooting as posted on these EXCELLENT forums just gathering info. now.
I did notice some time this spring when I turned on the main lights (living and kitchen) they did not turn on. Turned on the light over the sink and that worked. Then turned on the lights again and 5-10 sec later they turned on. How to you test for a bad converter? From reading post I know the converter is located under the stairs VIA the basement panel.

Any help and suggestions much apperciated

Thank,

John
Boy

No DC Power (Sundance)

I had the same problem twice with my 215 Bighorn. Please refer to "Danemayer"'s solution that worked for me. It acts like it may be a converter problem when it's not & a simple solution is available.'

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No DC Power (Sundance)

More then likely just need to push that reset button on the side of the circuit breaker strip. If that's not it you can start with a volt meter or test light at the batteries and check voltage there then move your way the the breaker strip check the hot side then each of the posts on the feed side. I'm sure your battery disconnect switch is turned on right ?

Last edited:

danemayer

No DC Power (Sundance)

I went to my 2010 Sundance 3200re today to check it out (which is in an indoor storage) and none of the 12V systems work, landing gear, lights, nothing. Plugged in shore power and still nothing. The 120V is working .... How to you test for a bad converter? From reading post I know the converter is located under the stairs VIA the basement panel.

Hi jbhd,

Sounds like the Power Converter is not outputting 12V to the fuse box or to the batteries to keep them charged.

Check the easy things first. If you have a 50 amp setup, start with the shore power connections. If one leg is out, at the pedestal, or at the trailer connector, you might have some 110V devices working, but no power to the Converter.

Check the circuit breaker panel. If the breaker that supplies power to the Converter has tripped, that'll do it.

Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals. With shore power connected, a working Power Converter should supply around 13.6V DC to the battery. If below 11.5V, the battery is not getting power from the Converter.

Look for the 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the battery. Check with a meter to see if there's 13.5 V DC on any of the terminals. If there is, look for the teeny tiny reset button on the bottom of one of the breakers and press it.

Check the fuses on the Power Converter. If someone messed with the battery, they could have blown the fuses.

If the fuses are ok and there's no output from the Converter, and it's plugged into a working outlet, it's probably a bad converter.

jbhd

Re: No DC Power (Sundance)

Thanks for the replies.
Found part of the problem. Some of the 110V are working. Microwave works, wall plugs works (the 2 I tested) the ceiling fan and light did not work and either did the the light over the dinning table. So I kind of knew right off as what Danemayer stated one of the 50 Amp leg was not fully connected. I had this problem in the past when I was out RVing. Found out that 50AMP cable was not fully seated into the 5th wheel plug. Once I seated it correctly I heard a click in the Sundance and there be lights and the converter started. Tested the 2 optima batteries and they rated at 12.6-12.9. Soon as I turned my makeshift disconnect switch(sundance did not come with one) the voltage dropped to 8.6-8.9 not good. So I may not have turned the disconnect switch to the off position when I stowed it. I do here the converter working and now all 110V lights and appliance are working. I'll let it charge for the rest of the day and come back later to see if the batteries are better.

I do have a question on gaining access to the converter. I took out the panel in the basement and I can see the converter but its not easily accessible. It looks like its right behind the circuit breaker box. Do you have to remove the CB box to gain access to it?

Thanks all for your input

John
Boy

jbhd

Re: No DC Power (Sundance)

So the issue was two fold:
1) The 50amp connection into the rig was not fully plugged in. Being a very heavy cable it came loose because it was not tighten down with the provided collar.
2) The batteries became discharged because the disconnect switch was on (Thought it was off)
Tested the batteries after 24hr charge and they have a voltage reading of 13.4-13.7 reading with no power draw. With power draw it drops to 12.8-12.9 or so the batteries are good.

Also I can not find the manual 12V DC mini-circuit breaker reset button. I felt and have a small mirror and do not see anything or feel any reset switch. Maybe my circuit breakers or all auto reset. I looked for a good 15-20 minutes and Nada. Anyway that was never the issue.
The issue was "Is it plugged in" LOL glad it was only that.

I only plug the rig into shore power maybe every 4-6 weeks or so seeing that its inside and the batteries are disconnected. I do this to prolong converter life as who needs to have this plugged in all the time. I've done this practice since 2009 when I purchased the Sundance. I'm also using the Portable Surge Guard to protect the entire Rig.

Thanks for all you info and tips!!
John
Boy