SOLVED: No Furnace or Heat Pump response from Thermostat

jbeletti

Just wanted to share something that happened to us the other day in the hope it may help others.

My Suburban furnace is controlled by one of my 3 Dometic thermostats. The thermostat that controls the furnace also controls the rooftop AC unit that is also a Heat Pump.

The other day, the thermostat would not respond to attempts to turn on the Heat Pump or the Furnace. The screen controls responded but no action in the Furnace or Heat Pump were noted.

I decided to Power-Cycle the thermostat. I removed the cover on the main fuse panel and simply removed the fuse marked AC-x (I have 3 ACs - not sure if I removed AC-1, AC-2 or AC-3 fuse). The thermostat screen went blank. I reinstalled the fuse, the thermostat screen came back on and once again, we had full control of the Furnace and Heat Pump.

As these thermostats contain micro-controllers and in our case, are always powered (DC) and rarely ever power cycled, I guess like a phone or a computer, restarting them may be a good thing a few times a year.