SOLVED: Slides and 6 point landing gear shutting off

ksucats

Re: Slides and 6 point landing gear shutting off

I don't think increasing (decreasing :confused: ) the gauge to a larger cable would make any difference. It isn't the load capability of the wire but the total amperage that the hydraulic motor is pulling that is tripping the breaker. Now, that said, if we upped our breaker from a 50 to an 80 I can see the need for upping the cable carrying capacity. The weak link (if I may call it that) should be the breaker which should trip if amperage is too high. We don't want the wire to get hot / melt / short out. It is the over heating of the wire that concerns me if I up the breaker to an 80 amp. In post number 17 of this thread Jim Belletti might have thought of this heat buildup when he showed the short battery cable. It is possible (and I'm only guessing) that Heartland limited the breaker to 50 amp because of the wiring that they used from the battery to the breaker and then on to the hydraulic pump. Both sections might need to be changed if one changes the breaker to an 80 amp. Again, just guessing based on my limited electrical knowledge (which is VERY limited.)

TedS

I don't think increasing (decreasing :confused: ) the gauge to a larger cable would make any difference. It isn't the load capability of the wire but the total amperage that the hydraulic motor is pulling that is tripping the breaker. Now, that said, if we upped our breaker from a 50 to an 80 I can see the need for upping the cable carrying capacity. The weak link (if I may call it that) should be the breaker which should trip if amperage is too high. We don't want the wire to get hot / melt / short out. It is the over heating of the wire that concerns me if I up the breaker to an 80 amp. In post number 17 of this thread Jim Belletti might have thought of this heat buildup when he showed the short battery cable. It is possible (and I'm only guessing) that Heartland limited the breaker to 50 amp because of the wiring that they used from the battery to the breaker and then on to the hydraulic pump. Both sections might need to be changed if one changes the breaker to an 80 amp. Again, just guessing based on my limited electrical knowledge (which is VERY limited.)

If wire size and breaker size are the responsibility of Heartland, according to Lippert, then the flaw is Heartlands shortsitghtedness or underdesign. I don't remember the size of the pump circuit power wires. For the short distances 6-gage stranded copper will serve. Using 4-gage will alleviate all concern about amp capacity for minimum voltage drop.

jlhardy

Hello fellow RVers
I've had the same problem with my 2016 Bighorn: hydraulics stopping and then going again after the auto-reset circuit breaker resets. Especially when the weather is cool.
I just replaced the Heartland installed circuit breaker that protects the hydraulic pump motor with an aftermarket 80 amp manual reset. Well phooey, it didn't solve the problem. And, I noticed, that the 12 v lights inside go out until the auto reset happens. Perhaps the problem is in the switch wiring and not the pump wiring?
I'm probably in over my head now and will be talking with the RV repair guy tomorrow. Has anyone had a similar issue with their RV?
Thanks if you can help.

danemayer

Hello fellow RVers
I've had the same problem with my 2016 Bighorn: hydraulics stopping and then going again after the auto-reset circuit breaker resets. Especially when the weather is cool.
I just replaced the Heartland installed circuit breaker that protects the hydraulic pump motor with an aftermarket 80 amp manual reset. Well phooey, it didn't solve the problem. And, I noticed, that the 12 v lights inside go out until the auto reset happens. Perhaps the problem is in the switch wiring and not the pump wiring?
I'm probably in over my head now and will be talking with the RV repair guy tomorrow. Has anyone had a similar issue with their RV?
Thanks if you can help.

You may just have a battery problem. Low voltage can cause these symptoms. Also, make sure the battery terminals are clean and connections are tight. If everything looks good, take your battery to an auto parts store or repair location to have it tested.

mlpeloquin

Fusing current for 12 gauge copper wire is 235 amps. 80 amps through 12 gauge wire on a short run isn't much of a problem. It will reduce the voltage at the pump. Say 3 feet of 12 gauge wire with 80 amps will drop:
Resistance of 12 gauge wire per 1000ft = 1.588 ohms
R * I = Volts
(3 * 1.588 / 1000) * 80 = .38112V
I * V = W
.38112 * 80 = 30.48 watts

Now do not panic at the wattage because it is only present for what 20 to 35 seconds at a time. So the wire does not have time to heat up to be a problem. Larger gauge wire will be more efficient, but the 12 gauge wire does not cause the breaker to trip. Breakers will slowly start to trip with less current as they are tripped over and over.

One more thing. it is poor design practice to parallel breakers or fuses. In a pinch it will work, but get a single larger breaker. More current will always flow through one than the other. There are tolerances that they are built to and they are not identical even though they are rated the same. They are tested to specifications with +/- xx% do to the varriables in the tolerances of the parts.

cgaskins

Interesting... My 2015 Big Country had this same problem today. I need to read all the posts but I will probably have some questions once I catch up...

jlhardy

You may just have a battery problem. Low voltage can cause these symptoms. Also, make sure the battery terminals are clean and connections are tight. If everything looks good, take your battery to an auto parts store or repair location to have it tested.

Thanks for listening Dan.
I have four 6v batteries and a solar charging system. Definitely more connections to be loose. I'll check it out tomorrow.

padre44

We just started having the same problem in a trip to Maine. If a breaker trips, it stays tripped doesn't it? LCI says the hydraulics might be slower in colder weather, but in the high 40's to low 50's? Ours also cuts off in the levelers and slides, then in about 20 seconds you can push the buttons again and it runs a little more, then off, etc.

danemayer

We just started having the same problem in a trip to Maine. If a breaker trips, it stays tripped doesn't it? LCI says the hydraulics might be slower in colder weather, but in the high 40's to low 50's? Ours also cuts off in the levelers and slides, then in about 20 seconds you can push the buttons again and it runs a little more, then off, etc.

These 12V DC circuit breakers near the battery are all auto-reset except for one that connects the batteries to the Power Converter. The pause is the breaker that powers the hydraulic pump tripping and resetting after a few seconds. $10 and 15 minutes to replace it.

jlhardy

Padre44,
The circuit breakers are heat activated. The circuit opens if the breaker gets too hot. When it cools off, the circuit closes again. I've been told that the breakers will get weaker and trip more easily after they've been tripped.

I think I've got mine fixed:

I installed an 80 amp manual reset breaker between the buss bar and the hydraulic pump motor.

Quote fro a Lippert bulletin:"Due to high amp draws on hydraulic slide-out systems, it may be necessary to upgrade the circuit breaker. Duringslide-out operation, the higher amperage requirements on the hydraulic pump unit may cause the system to drawthe voltage down. This voltage drop increases the amp draw and forces the 50-amp Auto Reset Breaker to trip andshut the system down. If the circuit breaker continues to trip, upgrading the 50-amp breaker to a breaker with ahigher amperage rating will solve the issue without harm to the system. Wiring and breaker are to be supplied bythe RV Manufacturer. This applies to systems with and without individual room controls."

The dealer had changed the wiring when they installed my four 6 volt batteries; when they did this there was a 50 amp breaker installed between the batteries and the battery on/off switch. I think it was just an easy way to complete the job, battery switches don't need circuit breakers. So I had two different 50 amp auto reset breakers inline with my hydraulic pump.
When the dealer installed breaker would trip, I would lose all power until it reset. I upgraded the the other breaker also.

While I was in there working on the wiring I looked at my ground. To my disappointment, the grounding wire connection was a self-tapping screw into painted sheet metal. Any one who has chased wiring problems has learned to always check the grounding connection. I re-grounded my system to the frame with a nut and bolt after I scraped the paint off and used dielectric grease.

Not only have I not had any breakers trip during hydraulic operation, the slides and landing gear work more briskly.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

NH5er

You guys are the best! I have recently been having problems with my slides and level up. After reading this thread, I changed my breaker, and all is well. I have an extra in case it happens again.
thanks again.

OilingRocks

I only have level hydraulic. My leveler would grind a lot. Usually during retract but leveling has started causing it recently.

I had had a tech get on the phone to troubleshoot with lippert. Their result was to tell my to charge my battery more. After a week of being plugged in?

I finally replaced the 50a between the battery and the battery cut-off with a manual reset 60a.

My leveler has worked perfectly several times now. My wife thinks I’m a genius.

danemayer

I only have level hydraulic. My leveler would grind a lot. Usually during retract but leveling has started causing it recently.

I had had a tech get on the phone to troubleshoot with lippert. Their result was to tell my to charge my battery more. After a week of being plugged in?

I finally replaced the 50a between the battery and the battery cut-off with a manual reset 60a.

My leveler has worked perfectly several times now. My wife thinks I’m a genius.

Yep, some rigs have an extra circuit breaker in the path between battery and buss bar. It can be the trouble spot.

If you'd like to read more about this problem, take a look at our Hydraulic Slide Starts and Stops User Guide. Although you experienced the problem with the landing gear, it's the same issue.

busted2341

Since replacing the 50 amp 12 volt breaker, not had a problem since....